April 18, 2024, 07:21:04 PM

News:

IonicWind Snippit Manager 2.xx Released!  Install it on a memory stick and take it with you!  With or without IWBasic!

Ionic Wind Linux Project

Started by Ionic Wind Support Team, January 23, 2007, 09:45:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LarryMc

QuoteGary,
Please respect other peoples opinions on this board. ..... It also includes special parental controls.  So it is neither "rediculous" or "absurd"

Thank you Barney for pointing out an interesting Ubuntu distribution.  I am sure there are a lot of churches in my area that would be interested in it.
Thanks Paul and Barney
LarryMc
Larry McCaughn :)
Author of IWB+, Custom Button Designer library, Custom Chart Designer library, Snippet Manager, IWGrid control library, LM_Image control library

Doc

Seems to be working just fine here.... and I'm gonna beat that sucker yet!  ;)

-Doc-

Jerry Muelver

Fair's fair. "Ubuntu" means "humanness" and "humanity towards others", and stresses inclusiveness. After all, both KDE and Gnome dwell in peaceful cohabitation on the Ubuntu core. See the Edubuntu Home Page, "Linux for young human beings," for a more generic youth-oriented distro.

And just to balance things out, there's a Satanic Ubuntu Edition as well.

I expect my reality-based Ebasic Linux programs to run equally well on all of them!

Ionic Wind Support Team

Ionic Wind Support Team

Ionic Wind Support Team

The off topic posts were removed.  Please behave yourselves our I'll sick my dog after you  :o
Ionic Wind Support Team

Doc

Paul,
Were all three of the Linux samples we've seen so far, compiled using the new Emergence?

Assuming that is a yes, will EBL (???) be the first one released or will both Linux languages be built along the same general time frames?

...just being curious as to what the general game plan looks like. :)

-Doc-

Ionic Wind Support Team

Yes they were compiled with Emergence BASIC.  And it will be first.

Paul.
Ionic Wind Support Team

Rock Ridge Farm (Larry)

I guess I will need to take time and start learning Ebasic.
Have just gotten to a point where my Aurora programs work - most of the time.
Chomping at the bit for the Linux release of anything - are we there yet - are we there yet ------ :)

Ionic Wind Support Team

lol I am coding as fast as I can ;)

About 40% of the emergence command set is now functional in Linux.
Ionic Wind Support Team

Brice Manuel

Ionic Wind Support Team

Ionic Wind Support Team

Ionic Wind Support Team

Just an update.

The conversion is progressing along.  Slowly at times, quickly at others ;).   The basic windowing system works now and you can do things like open windows, draw lines, rectangles and such, and respond to events (messages). 

The biggest headache in building this is GTK-2.0.  Yes it is a fairly powerful toolkit for making GUI apps on Linux, but it is lacking in a few areas that would make you scratch your head and wonder.   GUI event processing with GTK is basically single threaded which makes building a GUI that is responsive to user input, while being able to do background tasks, a bit of a nightmare.  Yes you can make multiple threads easily on Linux, and even in a GTK program.  But you can't update the GUI itself in a 'worker' thread, only from the main thread.  Forcing the use of such odd things as idle-time callbacks.  In that respect the Windows API is a bit better, or at least documented much better ;)

On the outside you won't see too much difference in your own code.  I am trying to keep the changes needed to user code to a minimum to compile in the Linux version.  You'll still be able to use the same 'handlers' like you do now, internally it is much different though. 

In any event I am shooting to have a new test program ready by this evening.  And I will need all of you that have Linux to give it a run so I can be sure of linker settings, dependancies and such. 

Paul.

P.S. Don't forget to contribute :-*, it is only through user contributions that we are able to bring the linux versions to light.
Ionic Wind Support Team

Doc

QuoteIn any event I am shooting to have a new test program ready by this evening.  And I will need all of you that have Linux to give it a run so I can be sure of linker settings, dependancies and such.

Sounds good! :)

-Doc-

Ionic Wind Support Team

Almost done.  It got too cold in my computer room last night so went to bed instead ;)
Ionic Wind Support Team

Jerry Muelver

It was 28 deg F below zero in your old Wisconsin stamping grounds last night. Wind chill was minus 45.... Had to pour a jug of hot water over the latches on the spa cover to melt the ice out so I could get in and take my hot tub relaxing soak. Getting back, wet and nekkid, 30 yards to the house was pretty bracing....  ::)

LarryMc

Quotewet and nekkid, 30 yards to the house
A little more information than I needed! ;)
LarryMc
Larry McCaughn :)
Author of IWB+, Custom Button Designer library, Custom Chart Designer library, Snippet Manager, IWGrid control library, LM_Image control library

Jerry Muelver

Quote from: Larry McCaughn on February 05, 2007, 03:10:24 PM
Quotewet and nekkid, 30 yards to the house
A little more information than I needed! ;)
Oh. Then you probably don't want to read all the cold facts at http://hytext.com/articles/spa.htm ....  ::)

I hope Paul starts a nice, new thread for updating info on EBasic Linux, I hope, I hope....

Barney

ROTFL!!! Fantastic! Great!

Jerry you made my day (actually it's night now but who cares) with your hot dip drama. A real slapstick comedy at its best.  ;D

Barney

Doc

Jerry's story certainly isn't one that I'd ever want to witness, but it's always good for a laugh each and every time I've read it over the years.  :D

You are a genuine hoot Jerry Muelver!  ;D

-Doc-

GWS

I shall always carry a mental image of this strange American character snow-blowing in the nudee .. :)

Jerry you're priceless ..  ;D

I'd like to see a section for Linux newbies to be able to ask for advice from the experts.

I'm hoping in the next few weeks to get a spare machine that I can load Linux and try to figure out how people manage in a world without .exe files .. ::)

I don't know which version to go for either.   I know many of you use Ubuntu.  I've tried Linspire, and Amazon do Suse .. all get pretty good reports.

Anyway, take care Jerry, wouldn't want you to catch pneumonia. :)

best wishes,

Graham
Tomorrow may be too late ..

Brice Manuel

QuoteI shall always carry a mental image of this strange American character snow-blowing in the nudee ..
Sounds like a deleted scene from Fargo ;D

Brice Manuel

Quote from: Paul Turley on February 04, 2007, 09:03:28 AM
The biggest headache in building this is GTK-2.0.  Yes it is a fairly powerful toolkit for making GUI apps on Linux, but it is lacking in a few areas that would make you scratch your head and wonder.   GUI event processing with GTK is basically single threaded which makes building a GUI that is responsive to user input, while being able to do background tasks, a bit of a nightmare.
You can do it, Paul  ;D

JimH

While I seldom get the chance anymore to spend much time with programming, I do value and hope to encourage usable software development tools for Linux.

My contribution is "on the wire".  :D

<*> Jim

Ionic Wind Support Team

Thank you Jim for being contributor #6 ;)
Ionic Wind Support Team

Ionic Wind Support Team

OK as promissed, a few days late, here is another test program.  Rename to remove the .zip extension, chmod to make it executable, and run by either double clicking in nautilus or using ./gtk_test from a terminal

This is the first test of Emergence Linux using a few windowing commands like OPENWINDOW, CLOSEWINDOW, SETWINDOWCOLOR, LINE, etc.  It presents a window with 500 randomly colored lines drawn.  Pressing the right mouse button clears the window and draws a new set of random lines.

Let me know any dependancy issues.

Thanks,
Paul.
Ionic Wind Support Team