April 23, 2024, 09:54:11 PM

News:

Own IWBasic 2.x ? -----> Get your free upgrade to 3.x now.........

Ionic Wind Linux Project

Started by Ionic Wind Support Team, January 23, 2007, 09:45:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ionic Wind Support Team

January 23, 2007, 09:45:55 PM Last Edit: May 21, 2011, 04:38:21 PM by LarryMc
Hello All,
Over the last few weeks I have been busily porting our compilers to Linux.  The long term goal of Ionic Wind Software was to make our compilers available on multiple platforms.  Versions of Emergence and Aurora for Linux is the first step in that goal.

After much thought on the subject, and conversations with other programmers, I have decided that for the time being the Linux versions will be free to registered owners of the Windows versions of our software.  What this means is when you purchase and register the Windows version you will be given the download link to the Linux version at no extra cost when they are ready.  

In order to offer the compilers at no cost we are making them contribution supported.  By doing so this allows us to keep the free spirit of Linux while still being able to further the development of the products.  Any cash contribution of $50 or more will give you a spot on the forthcoming "Contributers" page of our website.  Contribution also entitles you to the Linux versions if you don't already own the Windows versions of the software.

Now I will try and answer some questions before they are asked:

How soon before they are available?
Answer: That depends on how much interest there is.  The Emergence and Aurora parsers have already been ported, the IDE's will take a big chunk of my development time.  

Do you have any Linux executables we can try?
Answer: Yes.  Attached to this message, download the file, rename to remove the .zip extension, chmod to 755 to mark it as an executable and run in your favorite terminal program.  If you don't know how to do that then ask.  Compiled in Ubuntu 6.06 and requires at least libc6, which is standard now anyway.  

I had to add the extension .zip to allow it to be attached to the post.

What linux distibutions are you supporting?
Officially any debian based distribution.  My favorite is Ubuntu.

Ok, fire away with more questions ;)

Paul.
Ionic Wind Support Team

Doc

Well now... that's plenty exciting for some of us!  ;)
One of the first few questions I asked going back some 5-6 years ago with Paul's first language product was whether there was a Linux version planned... This is GREAT news!

Questions:
What is the GUI framework that will be used? (GTK2??)
How long do you estimate that the Linux versions will have GUI capabilities if not already?
Will the syntax be compatible between the Linux and Windows versions?

That's about it for now.  ;D

-Doc-

Doc

How can I contribute?
Through this PayPal link

Done!  ;D

-Doc-

Ionic Wind Support Team

Quote from: David Coker on January 23, 2007, 10:08:02 PM
Questions:
What is the GUI framework that will be used? (GTK2??)
How long do you estimate that the Linux versions will have GUI capabilities if not already?
Will the syntax be compatible between the Linux and Windows versions?

That's about it for now.  ;D

-Doc-

Yes it will be GTK(2).  But you can use any framework directly as well.  I have experimented with using glade to create the interfaces, a little odd but works.  The commands you use as a user are the same, OpenWindow, CloseWindow, etc.

I should have most of the GUI commands ported within a few weeks.  The syntax is compatible, some of the commands will be slightly different depending on some of the vast differences between Windows and Linux.  For example Linux doesn't have an MDI interface like you're used to in Windows.  The closest anology is a tabbed interface and a lot of programs opt for that.

Thanks for being the 1st contributer ;)

Paul.
Ionic Wind Support Team

Doc

You're welcome!

QuoteBut you can use any framework directly as well.

...and you've already answered my 4th question. :)

-Doc-

Brice Manuel

splakidas

Brice Manuel

Ionic Wind Support Team

There is only one choice (OpenGL).  DirectX is only for Windows.
Ionic Wind Support Team

Brice Manuel

QuoteThere is only one choice (OpenGL).
SDL ;D

Ionic Wind Support Team

I believe SDL uses GL for display on Linux systems. 
Ionic Wind Support Team

Barney

I would much more prefer a Macintosh version of either Aurora or EBasic. Linux is basically useless as a viable platform for selling indie produced software. Frankly, I don't see economical incentive in pushing those languages into the Linux realm. Macintosh would be far better option, not only for us but for Paul as well.

Barney

mrainey

I don't have much interest in using Linux, but would like to port some existing EBasic programs over.  Would I be able to compile and test EBasic Linux programs using one of those self-contained CD's that don't actually install Linux onto the hard drive?

Software For Metalworking
http://closetolerancesoftware.com

Rock Ridge Farm (Larry)

Do you have an Aurora port yet?
I really could use that.

Doc

QuoteLinux is basically useless as a viable platform for selling indie produced software.

With all due respect, is that something that you've personally experienced or is your statement based on speculation? Please post a link to the Linux product that you've built that hasn't yet sold and I'll have a look at it. If it's something I can use, I could very easily be your customer forever.  ;)

I can agree wholeheartedly that the Mac platform would be a viable target market. Unfortunately, Paul doesn't have access to a Mac and my plans to loan/donate mine for development purposes went south due to some recent family issues. (I had to sell it to help out a family member.)

-Doc-

Ionic Wind Support Team

Quote from: mrainey on January 24, 2007, 05:42:13 AM
I don't have much interest in using Linux, but would like to port some existing EBasic programs over.  Would I be able to compile and test EBasic Linux programs using one of those self-contained CD's that don't actually install Linux onto the hard drive?

Probably.  Most of them set up a RAM drive to act as your user space.  So it would depends on how much memory you have.

Ionic Wind Support Team

Ionic Wind Support Team

Quote from: Barney on January 24, 2007, 05:05:45 AM
I would much more prefer a Macintosh version of either Aurora or EBasic. Linux is basically useless as a viable platform for selling indie produced software. Frankly, I don't see economical incentive in pushing those languages into the Linux realm. Macintosh would be far better option, not only for us but for Paul as well.

Barney

I disagree and I don't own a Mac, can't afford a Mac, nor do I see one in my future unless you would like to contribute one for development.   There isn't much economic incentive for pushing indie languages on Windows either.  Most of us indie language developers just manage a meager income from it.  We do it because programming is our art ;)

The real money is still in real estate, just ask Donald Trump.  I drive a 1994 Ford Taurus that's current missing a muffler, he's probably never even been a passanger in a Ford ::)

Paul.
Ionic Wind Support Team

Ionic Wind Support Team

Quote from: Rock Ridge Farm (Larry) on January 24, 2007, 06:03:43 AM
Do you have an Aurora port yet?
I really could use that.

reread the first post.  Both the Emergence and Aurora parsers have been ported.  IDE's not done yet. Currently they are working through the Anjuta IDE (see screen shot)

Paul.
Ionic Wind Support Team

Brice Manuel

Quote from: Paul Turley on January 24, 2007, 02:44:38 AM
I believe SDL uses GL for display on Linux systems. 
Apologies, I thought it could use "software rendering" like it can on Windows.

I am really excited about this, lots of indie languages have tried to support Linux, but their Linux versions are not exactly stable, some to the point of being useless.  With Paul's history, we are going to have a VERY stable Linux programming language!!

Steven Picard

I find this to be very exciting news.  I think that after the Linux versions are done we should do something about getting a Mac for Paul. ;)

Shannara

January 24, 2007, 11:58:47 AM #20 Last Edit: January 24, 2007, 12:27:49 PM by Shannara
I dunno. In terms of average computer users (read, majority), OSX have a higher share then Linux. Linux is just .. well ...  for people who really loves getting into the internals of an OS ... Windows and OSX is basically the opposite as they are tailored for the average joe.

I do see Aurora and Ebasic having a place in linux for creating utilities and tools for those who run that OS. But to grab the widest user base for the average joe. One must consider the average joe OSes .. Windows/OSX.

I also agree ... Paul needs an OSX computer if he's even going to have a snowball in hell's chance of developing for that platform :)

Please remember, this is my personal opinion :) It does not mean what I say is fact :) It is how I feel, personally.
Love is staying up all night with a sick child, or a healthy adult.

Parker

I personally think there is a place for a good Linux language, and I think that if it's easy to install you can get a lot of interest. I've tried installing Gambas and HBasic on Ubuntu and there are always missing packages. I think that's one of the main reasons that beginning programmers won't use Linux - you have C++ or you're on your own trying to get one of those BASICs to install. I did get FreeBASIC working, but there's no IDE and no built in GUI libraries.

It would be great if Aurora and EB supported OS X, but with Paul's current state I don't think that's a possibility right now. If we are supportive of the Linux version though, we may be able to raise enough money. Even if you don't use the Linux version, being able to say that your language is cross platform makes a big difference to a lot of people. And once we have a stable product for both Windows and Linux, we may be able to find a contributor to help get the languages onto OS X.

Brice Manuel

QuoteI dunno. In terms of average computer users (read, majority), OSX have a higher share then Linux.
That hasn't been true for many years.  Several years ago most of the major tech journals in all surveys were showing Linux as the #2 OS in use by the average home user. 

Major retailers like Walmart have been selling preinstalled Linux machines for several years in stores and online and they have been a huge factor in making Linux machines readily available for the average home user.  Our local Walmart has some nice Linspire and Xandros machines.  Excellent choices for the average home user, and extremely user friendly and handles anything the average home user would want to do on a PC.

Dennisc

QuoteEven if you don't use the Linux version, being able to say that your language is cross platform makes a big difference to a lot of people. And once we have a stable product for both Windows and Linux, we may be able to find a contributor to help get the languages onto OS X.

I have to agree with Parker :)

Dennis
Failure is only the opportunity to begin again more intelligently
www.denniscomninos.com

Doc

QuoteAny cash contribution of $50 or more will give you a spot on the forthcoming "Contributers" page of our website.  Contribution also entitles you to the Linux versions if you don't already own the Windows versions of the software.

Just to clairify:
In addition to the listing on the "contributors" page, a $50 contribution gives the person both Linux products when they are ready to roll?

Assuming the above is correct, do you anticipate allowing smaller contributions towards a single linux product of choice, for those that cannot afford the targeted amount? (...the old 20% of anything, always beats 100% of nothing scenario ;) )

Will there be an Alpha/Beta program where users will be able to participate? If so, when might those programs begin and what criteria will be used to select the participants?

I'll probably have a dozen more Q's sooner or later, but just in case you haven't noticed... I think this is fantastic!  ;D

Thank you!

-Doc-