March 29, 2024, 12:25:10 AM

News:

Own IWBasic 2.x ? -----> Get your free upgrade to 3.x now.........

Ionic Wind Linux Project

Started by Ionic Wind Support Team, January 23, 2007, 09:45:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ionic Wind Support Team

lol.  There are limits to available memory.  2000000 * 255 = 510,000,000 bytes dynamically allocated for the random strings.  I didn't write the original example program, but it could be changed to something a bit shorter ;)
Ionic Wind Support Team

Dennisc

To all you Linux "wunderkinder" out there from a Linux dumb-dumb. I have a spare machine under Win XP at present which I would like to use to play around with Linux. I also have the Ubuntu version on CD. For the uninitiated like me, can I run both OSs on the same machine? Must I partition my disk? Or must I simply kill Windows and go native Linux? Can someone point me to a simple tutorial on getting a machine set up under Linux.

Paul, you can count me in as a contributor ($50) as soon as I can get a Linux facility up and running. I have developed some large commercial programs under IBasic and EBasic (all converted to EB) and can help with testing the Linux version using them. They are API-less and use virtually every "common" EB command.

Regards
Dennis
Failure is only the opportunity to begin again more intelligently
www.denniscomninos.com

Ionic Wind Support Team

Yes you can dual boot the machine.  You have to repartition with a program such as Partition Magic.  I use a free 'tools' cd that I downloaded off of the net, don't remember where.  Here is another one that uses the same program though:

http://www.linux.com/article.pl?sid=06/04/25/1917228

Just download the ISO and burn a CD with nero, EZCD or whatever you have.  Stick it in the drive and reboot.

Note that if you have used XP extensively on that machine that you will need a good defragmenter first since the XP NTFS scatters data all around the drive, making repartitioning difficult at best. 

Also Ubuntu might come with gtparted now, it has been a while since I have had to resize a partition since I just use a spare drive for Linux now.  Boot with the Ubuntu CD and see if it gives you the option to resize.

Paul.
Ionic Wind Support Team

Dennisc

Thanks Paul - will give it a shot!
Failure is only the opportunity to begin again more intelligently
www.denniscomninos.com

Jerry Muelver

Quote from: Paul Turley on January 27, 2007, 12:03:51 AM
lol.  There are limits to available memory.  2000000 * 255 = 510,000,000 bytes dynamically allocated for the random strings.  I didn't write the original example program, but it could be changed to something a bit shorter ;)
That would be me. A way around would be to build a file with 2M strings and sort that, maybe. I would likely use a different algorithm (merge sort?) in that case, although I love heapsort!

Pip1957

Ionic Wind Support Team

Thanks Philip.  You are contributor #3 ;) 
Ionic Wind Support Team

mrainey

Ballpark figure - how much hard drive space would I need to set up a dual-boot Linux partition - installing nothing more than would be needed to create and fully test my EBasic Linux conversions?
Software For Metalworking
http://closetolerancesoftware.com

Doc

Hey Mike,
That really depends a lot on the distro you install. Ubuntu for example, does not allow you to preselect the packages (software for the Linux noobs out there) and will install the entire default system. In that case, with a swap file partiton, you will probably need around 8-10GB of free space to start with.  You may get by with less, but it's an iffy kind of deal.

-Doc-

mrainey

Thanks Doc.  Ten's a nice round number - I'll use that for my planning.

Mike

Doc

For those that may be new to Linux and contemplating a dual-boot setup with XP, I thought I'd add a few pointers to help you avoid some  problems.

#1  Backup your important data!

#2  Defrag your drive

#3  If possible, use a well known partitioning tool and in any case, read the instructions or help file BEFORE you get started. Guessing can and will often cause you grief.

#4  Dig out your copy of the XP installation media and keep it close at hand.

#5  Read rules #1, #2 and #3 again.

#6 When asked where to write the boot record, it's usually safer to replace the existing MBR (Master Boot Record) file.

Here's the meat of this message:
If you have a catastrophe and the system won't boot... don't panic! Assuming that you overwrote the original MBR file as suggested, you can recover the windows system very easily using the following technique:

Pop in the XP installation media and reboot. When you get to the menu, select the "Recovery Console" option.

You will be asked to "Select the windows Installation you wish to mount", which for most folks will be only one option.

1. C:\Windows XP

Next you will be asked for the Admin password. If you have an admin password enter it, if not leave it blank and press enter to continue.

Once you reach the command prompt in the recovery console, type in "FIXMBR" and press enter. You will be asked if that's really what you want to do... answer yes and press enter.

"A new master boot record has been written"

Type "exit" to leave the recovery console and reboot.

Windows XP should now start normally. Whew! ...what a relief!  ::)

...now you can try it all over again.  Remember, practice make perfect. ;D

-Doc-

Barney

Or just use another disk for Linux and/or other operating systems. Makes life much easier than using all those partitions.

Barney

mrainey

QuoteOr just use another disk for Linux and/or other operating systems. Makes life much easier than using all those partitions.

Would for sure, but my Toshiba laptop won't boot from a USB drive.

Ionic Wind Support Team

You don't need it to boot from the USB drive.  Grub loads from the MBR of the main drive and can boot Linux of an external drive with no problems.

Paul.
Ionic Wind Support Team

seberbach

Another option is to use VMware Player and one of the small Linux "appliances".

http://www.vmware.com/products/free_virtualization.html

Since EBasic is not bloated in nature, it should compile and/or run on simple Linux distros on small VMs.

If you crash a VM, it can be restarted from scratch (previous backup of entire system) or you could even use a "persistent" disk containing the OS which boots from its original state every reboot.

Steve

Rock Ridge Farm (Larry)

I have a dual boot windoz and linux on a 20 gig drv - ~9+ gig each. (IBM Thinkpad)
Works OK but would not be the greatest setup. I think 15-20 gig each would work nicely.
This would give you plenty of play room.

Ionic Wind Support Team

What are you people installing?   My Ubuntu setup exists on a 6GB drive, I  have all of the programming tools installed, a lot of IDE's and editors, tons of graphics programs and still have about 2GB free.

Maybe it's because I use gnome exclusively and only have the KDE libs installed to run QT apps.
Ionic Wind Support Team

Barney

Obviously, you are not into video production, Paul. I have 1.2 TB connected to my machine and there are times when it is just not enough. Sometimes I wish I never started turning home videos made by my friends into DVD's.  ::)

Barney

Doc

QuoteWhat are you people installing?
I typically partition the drive where including the swap file, it uses about 50% of the total free space on the drive, which is actually massive overkill. Excluding the swap, with just about everything I could ever want already installed, I'm using roughly 2.8 GB out of the 18+ that was available. On the windows side, I've got about 8GB free from the 19+ that I left before partitioning. Where I once was a dye in the wool KDE guy, I now actually prefer Gnome and that's all I use exclusively.

One thing I've noticed recently is that many of the major distro's are now defaulting to 20GB or more for a standard installation, even though it's not really needed. Most new users I'm sure, are just accepting the defaults in order to avoid potential partitioning problems. None of the recent trials with SuSe, Mepis and Ubuntu would accept the more than adequate partitioning scheme I had already set up, without forcing me into "expert" mode prior to installation.  ::)

I will add this... the recent Ubuntu installation I did (6.10) turned out perfectly. I simply couldn't be more pleased with the results and overall usability.

-Doc-

Barney

BTW. I've just run into a Christian version of Ubuntu. Perhaps of interest to people who are more into religious stuff.

Ubuntu Christian Edition

Barney

Kale

Quote from: Barney on January 28, 2007, 12:10:37 PM
BTW. I've just run into a Christian version of Ubuntu. Perhaps of interest to people who are more into religious stuff.

Ubuntu Christian Edition

Barney

I don't think i have seen a more absurd and ridiculous thing in my life!

The goal of Ubuntu Christian Edition is to bring the power and security of Ubuntu to Christians.

??? Can't christians use the regular distro? What an absolute joke.

Ionic Wind Support Team

Gary,
Please respect other peoples opinions on this board.  You quoted a single sentance from the Christian edition but failed to mention that it includes software designed for those doing bible study.  It also includes special parental controls.  So it is neither "rediculous" or "absurd"

Thank you Barney for pointing out an interesting Ubuntu distribution.  I am sure there are a lot of churches in my area that would be interested in it.

Paul.
Ionic Wind Support Team

Doc

People of all walks of life have a tendency to develop common associations according to their likes and/or beliefs (including politics, religion, sports, etc.). It's really not any different than folks who wear t-shirts depicting their favorite sports team or rock group.

"Why can't they just wear plain t-shirts?"

...what difference does it make?

-Doc-

Ionic Wind Support Team

Another test program.  The mastermind game (master.eba).

Rename to remove the .ZIP extension and chmod 755 to make it an executable.

NOTE:  This program will only work properly using the Gnome terminal, The Gnome terminal responds to selecting the default font from the video rom, which happens to have the same character graphics as the Windows console.  It will run on xterm and konsole but won't quite look right unless you can make konsole use Microsofts 'terminal' font or somehow convince it to use the bitmap font from the video rom.

xterm and konsole do respond correctly to absolute character addressing so the game is playable either way.

Paul.
Ionic Wind Support Team