March 29, 2024, 09:12:48 AM

News:

Own IWBasic 2.x ? -----> Get your free upgrade to 3.x now.........

Ionic Wind Linux Project

Started by Ionic Wind Support Team, January 23, 2007, 09:45:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Allan

Have Ubuntu Fiesty  installed now for a few days. This is a great Linux OS.   Reading a few different books (6.10 version most of them) and Ubuntu is very impressive.

The last Linux I used a bit was Memphis about 18 months ago and it was nowhere as user friendly as Ubuntu.

Thanks Paul for bringing Ubuntu to my notice.

I can see this OS being a pleasure to work with!

Look forward to seeing your Emergence Linux.

Allan

Brice Manuel

QuoteReading a few different books (6.10 version most of them) and Ubuntu is very impressive.
Although I have all the books on Ubuntu, I really recommend "Ubuntu Linux Bible".  Single best Ubuntu resource IMHO.

Allan

QuoteAlthough I have all the books on Ubuntu, I really recommend "Ubuntu Linux Bible".  Single best Ubuntu resource IMHO.

Have the book now - chapter 18 looks interesting about the gcc compiler.

Beginning Ubuntu Linux 2nd Edition from Apres has been top reading for me so far.

Jerry Muelver

My Ubuntu box reported a couple of weeks ago that the 7.04 Feisty Fawn upgrade was available for installation. So I clicked on "Install". I'm on a 19.2 kbaud landline connection. Announced dowload time for some 640 megabytes -- 4 days, 17 hours, 23 minutes. I went ahead with it, hitting "Cancel" from time to time to reclaim access to the internet when I needed it. The installation always resumed where it left off when I restarted. A week or so later, I had my new upgrade installed and humming along. I love this system!

GWS

Gosh!  .. that's what I call patience ..  :)

Graham
Tomorrow may be too late ..

Allan

And the more you work with Feisty the more it grows on you.
I am having a real 'party' with this Linux release.
Currently readin some X11 docs to gain more understanding. Impressive!

kahuna

Well my friend indeed,

For the first time in my linux exposure I now have a language which suits my thinking and will give me great pleasure in trying things out.

You Sir have created a pleasant way of geting into linux.

Maybe more to come I hope.

Thank you.

kahuna

I have decompiled the help file of Ebasic and it works well with "Mozzilla" under Linux if there is interest or it is ok from Paul then perhaps it could be made available to the linux forum. Let me know.

JimH

I'm trying out the new .5 version (Thanks, Paul!) using Xubuntu 8.04 and it mostly works. When linking though, I get this error: ld: cannot find -lc

Do I have something in the wrong place? And, by the way, where are all the files supposed to be placed? I thought it was noted in the Preview Version instructions, but sure can't find it.  ???

Allan

August 16, 2008, 06:50:17 PM #184 Last Edit: August 16, 2008, 07:00:38 PM by Allan
JimH

Look in the folder that you got LinuxBasic from in the Downloads.
There are two links there
The first link shows where to place files.
The second link tells you of the other packages needed.

JimH

Thanks for the refresher, Allen. Think I looked everywhere but there.

OK moved files to proper places and set permissions and still, when compiling keno get this:

Compiling...

keno.eba

No Errors

Linking...

ld: cannot find -lc
Error(s) linking keno.eba

Other ideas?

Ionic Wind Support Team

You are missing a dependency somewhere, it would be very unusual to be missing the C runtime library on a Linux distro, i don't think you could even boot without it.  Anyway....

Verify you have libgtk2.0-0 installed, and if that fails use synaptic to install glibc , which will include the latest C runtime. Or do it from a terminal:

apt-get install glibc

Paul.

Ionic Wind Support Team

Ionic Wind Support Team

The actual package is libc6-dev

Paul.
Ionic Wind Support Team

JimH

Since Xubuntu 8.04 is a "stripped down" version, I guess that's one library they didn't load.

To get it running I needed to install libc6-dev which brought in 3 other packages (libc6 was installed, but not the -dev)

After that, it complained about missing gtk-x11-2.0 and the only way I could figure out to get it was to install libgtk2.0-dev which brought in about 45 other packages.

After that, everything I tried worked!  ;D  Xubuntu just takes a little more work on the environment to get everything EB needs.

Next, I'm going to see if it's possible to run it under Damn Small Linux - a really sparse distribution.

Allan

You sure had your work cut out for you Jim!

Just received my Ubuntu 8.04 CD.

Found a site that shows which distros have Gnome.

http://www.gnome.org/%7Edavyd/footware.shtml

spud

I've been away from the forum so my question might have already been answered, is there a version of ebasic avaliable for Linux?

I'm about to start building a robot that uses the Raspberry Pi board which uses Linux operating system. I'm wanting to use my existing Ai code which is written in ebasic. Using existing code would be easyer than exporting the code to Python which comes with the board.

Any help or updates on the Linux version would be great

LarryMc

The last time anything was done with the linix version was back in 2008.
I don't even think the new owner has it where that version can be downloaded. 
The existing link is dead.
LarryMc
Larry McCaughn :)
Author of IWB+, Custom Button Designer library, Custom Chart Designer library, Snippet Manager, IWGrid control library, LM_Image control library

Barney

I found an ebasic linux folder on one of my older HDD's, which obviously comes from the times when Paul was selling source CD's.
I can put the compressed file (including the whole directory) on Filepost or Uploaded.net but only if the present owner (Larry S.) gives me the permission to do so. PM to that effect has already been sent.

Barney

Doc

Pretty sure I can supply the compiled product and possibly the sources if need be, Could be a few days since my laptop crashed on me yesterday. Right now I'm using a Nook reader to post this and won't have access to my USB drive for a bit...

-Doc-

Rock Ridge Farm (Larry)

Actually I have worked on that on and off - just had not been any interest other than me I thought.
I have a very hacked up beta that I could get ready to go but I owe Larry Mc a couple of things first.

Larry