March 28, 2024, 06:13:00 PM

News:

Own IWBasic 2.x ? -----> Get your free upgrade to 3.x now.........

Zumwalts Blast A Mech Code

Started by J B Wood (Zumwalt), July 29, 2006, 07:20:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J B Wood (Zumwalt)

July 29, 2006, 07:20:17 PM Last Edit: July 28, 2008, 07:42:47 PM by Jonathan (zumwalt) Wood
-> code back online <-

Under Construction, but I am going to post all updates to this thread as I build it.
I'll go through all my other threads and kill the Aurora3d.zip file, just look here for each recent build.

This will also contain all my media and such that I use for the game, and if I report a bug in another thread, the code in that thread will only be a snippet, for the full source, always look here.

I have replaced the main mech with a tank.
This is a work in progress, as Paul and the gang increase there release builds, so will the sophistication of the game become.
(note, last webserver was rebuilt, lost that build, still looking for it, here is a backdated version for now, stable)
(as soon as I can find the latest build, I will update the post)
http://www.gamedevonline.com/subsite/demos/3impact/files/aurora3d.zip

Screenshot now available for in game demonstration.

kryton9

Who is your web host Zumwalt, I got over 800k/sec download speeds, will write again when I check out the updates :)

kryton9

That is fun. Did you set it up so the light follows the tank? I notice that if I drive through the mech with the tank and then go some, the lighting changes. I liked that.
Mech looks different in light and then darker.

That is really great considering we are in an alpha and Paul is not even 50% with this stuff so far.

J B Wood (Zumwalt)

I use Ezboxx as my hosting service.
www.ezboxx.com

There located in Dublin Ireland.

For the mech, thats an interesting story, it has no skin. The fact it changes from one skin to another is because it seems to 'inherit' a skin from either my flat plane sprite attempt and the tank itself.

Each object has its own lighting from how gamespace exported it. I made both have infinate light.
This is just an 'alpha' demo per say, I have to be able to add gravity, which I can do atrificially, just don't have the time at the moment.
More features will be added to the example as more features get added to the 3d method list.
Glad you like it! :)

Rock Ridge Farm (Larry)

kryton9

I connected to the link last night, but it took forever to load the pages.

I don't know how the download went so quickly when their main site was sooooo slow?

Zumwalt is paving the way for us with his game. Glad he is into this stuff, as I am sure I can learn a lot from
his examples in the coming weeks and months.

Already looking through it along with Paul's skinned x example, started to understand it. But still got a long way to go, before I can do the kind of things I want to do.

Steven Picard

The link doesn't work for me either.  I'm anxious to give it a try.  :)

J B Wood (Zumwalt)

Odd, that link works for me.
Its over 2 megs in size, so I can't post it here.
Which link is broken, the ezboxx one or my zip file?

Could it be the way your browser is setup and its stopping the file download box from showing up?

Ionic Wind Support Team

http:\\www.jbwws.com\jbwws\aurora\aurora3d.zip

Doesn't work for me either. 
Ionic Wind Support Team

kryton9

They must be having server problems. Because I had a great download speed of over 800k/sec getting his mech example zip.

Then when zumwalt wrote back about the webhost and I clicked on the link, it took a very long time for the pages to load. So I stopped trying to read info from the site.

They must have realized something is wrong and are probably working on it. My only explanation.

J B Wood (Zumwalt)

Wierd, well if its the same tomorrow, I'll try to host it on another site.
Maybe they were doing some server maintance today.

Zen

There is nothing wrong with the link. It is a simple mistake of using backslashes instead of forward slashes, hence why the browsers keep adding a forward slash at the end.

Backslashes are used for file system navigation but not for URL's

Here's the link http://www.jbwws.com/jbwws/aurora/aurora3d.zip

Lewis

Steven Picard

Quote from: Zen on July 31, 2006, 04:49:42 AM
There is nothing wrong with the link. It is a simple mistake of using backslashes instead of forward slashes, hence why the browsers keep adding a forward slash at the end.

Backslashes are used for file system navigation but not for URL's
Good catch!  I feel stupid for not even noticing.  :P

J B Wood (Zumwalt)

July 31, 2006, 06:18:30 AM #13 Last Edit: July 31, 2006, 06:23:43 AM by zumwalt
Fixed the URL, I have no idea what I had it that way, good catch though. See how many of us it took to figure out that my / and \ were messed up? Thats just wrong :)

Glad it works.

I am going to try to work on it some more tonight, I want to split out the machine gun, the main turret and the treads from the tank body and allow for rotation to be added to each item. I am not good at UV mapping so it might look like crap, but going to atleast make it functional.

This will however, probably force me to create a physical Tank class with sub classes for the treads and turrets. I have to create a generic ammo class to hold all sorts of ammo and count for fire rate, amount, damage type etc. This will complicate the example some though, but I will try to keep it down to a bare minimum.

kryton9

The old link worked for me in fact last night, i just hovered over the old way you had the link and in the status at the bottom it showed the correct link.

I think their servers were down for a time.

But yep, I never noticed the reversed slashes so that was a good eye to pick that up.

Parker

Okay okay, I'll update (still need that d3dx9r DLL ::))

While I'm waiting... I never knew .x files were just plain text. I guess if you had enough patience you could make a model in notepad.

Cool start... the finished product will be interesting to see.

Barney

Quote from: Parker on July 31, 2006, 12:51:48 PM
While I'm waiting... I never knew .x files were just plain text. I guess if you had enough patience you could make a model in notepad.
Not all .X files are plain text. There are also binary versions available. Technically you can create those with notepad but I would not be the one who will try it. Not even as an exercise :)

Barney

J B Wood (Zumwalt)

I save all of mine as text so that I can verify a few things in them, specifically the texture file path. Sometimes my gamespace saves the full path and other times not, its a value I have to check off and sometimes I forget, what that means is that if the image file is not in its full path, the rendering engine gives me errors, I update the path manually to match where the file will be stored.

All mesh files are is a list of coordinates, line from point a to b in a 3d system.
They also include more information in them, I just can't remember everything they store, and don't want to either.

Don't look for this to be much more than 2 machines, 1 computer controled, 1 human controled, and the ability to kill each other. The tech demo is supposed to be covering the following sets of rules:

1) simple architecture
2) easy to understand layout
3) basic structures
4) basic methods
5) basic AI
6) game loop demonstration
7) collision demonstration
8) end game resolve

All code will be provided in the tech demo, along with any textures / meshes that I use to generate the basic game. I don't want this to be hard to understand, and I want it to be just enough that a new person to Aurora can get started with there own 3'rd person type strategy game.

Core concepts will have enough in them so that someone could take it, build there own skeletal structure and use it for other games, like rpg, fps, puzzle, etc.

This is a work in progress, so please understand that it will grow only at the pace that Aurora grows, I don't want to write my own items into the engine for this, I want to use all native components, thats why I stopped my conversion for the ODE and I will wait on Aurora's implimentation of physics.

If there is a specific request that anyone has for the game to include, let me know and I'll see if it fits within the bounds of the tech demo, if so, I'll add it, if not, I'll explain the concept of how to do it.

Thanks to all the people downloading and testing it, I like feedback :)

J B Wood (Zumwalt)

Updated (or should be) as of 08/03/2006

Controls are updated forgot to document in code to display but:
A increase speed
Z decrease speed

Forward arrow = move tank
Left arrow = turn left
Right arrow = turn right

I'll iron it out some more tonight.

J B Wood (Zumwalt)

Just did a fast update. More realistic.
A = forward movement adjust
Z = reverse movement adjust
Forward arrow = move tank ( will add in code later for inertia)
Left - Right = turn
Back = unassigned now

J B Wood (Zumwalt)

Updated, now includes inertia, back arrow applies brakes, S and D keys assigned to camera to zoom in and out with assigned mininmum and maximum range, along with H to reset you back to spawn point, doesn't reset speed though ;) (did that on purpose cause I was having fun)

Let me know if you find any problems, will continue to build on it more, maybe another update later tonight or most likely tomorrow night, anything between now and then will most likely be minor adjustments. I need to get back to my sketch board to draw out the zoning criteria.

J B Wood (Zumwalt)

Last update for the night, got to get sleep. Here is what it does at the moment:
15 Key assignments as follows:

Comma = Machine Gun (text only)
Period = Missle Launcher (text only)
Comma+Period = Eject (text only)
A = Foward Throttle
Z = Reverse Throttle
H = Respawn at Home Point
S = Zoom camera In
D = Zoom camera Out
Q = Rotate Turret Left
W = Rotate Turret Right
1 = Raise Barrel
2 = Lower Barrel
Arrow Up = Move Tank (keep constant on throttle)
Arrow Left = Turn Left
Arrow Right = Turn Right
Arrow Down = Brakes :)

Rotation of turret does not current take into account the barrel, this will be fixed later with rotation limited to 3/4 rotation either side.
More to come later. The initial release will be all in the main, second iteration will be full OOP version so you can see the difference.

John S

cool demo.

S & D functions are reversed
John Siino, Advanced Engineering Services and Software

ExMember001

J B Wood (Zumwalt)

Thanks, I am having a bit of a problem with the machine gun at the moment, but have added it the ability to rotate, use keys 3 and 4 for that.
Still researching how ot fix the machine gun.