March 29, 2024, 04:59:07 AM

News:

IonicWind Snippit Manager 2.xx Released!  Install it on a memory stick and take it with you!  With or without IWBasic!

IWMenuBar

Started by LarryMc, July 04, 2011, 07:35:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LarryMc

Having basically finished IWB+ (visual designer) I wanted to work on something different today.

Some would say why spend all day programming on the 4th of July.

The answer is pretty simple.  The daughter we lost last Sept was the one of our 4 kids that was really into celebrating holidays.  Without her being here  and the fact that the 16 year old grand-daughter that has lived with us the last 8 years has gone to be with her mother (probably permanently) .  That leaves it awful quite.  Too quite as a matter of fact. I didn't want to sit around all day and dwell on our lost daughter.

So, what to program?

Sapero recently fixed some bugs involving the appbar application.  Thinking of it and some of the dynamic menu stuff I did in IWB+ I decided to see about modifying the appbar.

What I wound up with is the basic appbar example with two extra main menu options:
User Apps and User Help.

In the System menu options Apps Editor and Help Editor have been added.
Those two options open dialogs that let you add/delete entries,  When the Editor dialogs are closed the appbar at the top of your screen is automatically updated.

The user entries are stored in two cfg files in the User's Application Data folder.
There is no testing of the user's entries when adding entries.
If you make a mistake and it is saved you'll have to delete it to correct it or edit the cfg files directly.

I need some feedback to make sure it is bug free on various OS.  When I'm sure it is stable then I'll post it in the User Offerings section.

I call it IWMenuBar

LarryMc
LarryMc
Larry McCaughn :)
Author of IWB+, Custom Button Designer library, Custom Chart Designer library, Snippet Manager, IWGrid control library, LM_Image control library

whitenite1

Larry..
  Everything I tested on it, including adding an app in the Apps Editor, worked perfectly. I am using Windows 7, 64 bits.

whitenite1

LarryMc

Quote from: whitenite1 on July 04, 2011, 08:39:58 PM
Larry..
  Everything I tested on it, including adding an app in the Apps Editor, worked perfectly. I am using Windows 7, 64 bits.

whitenite1
thanks for the feedback

LarryMc
LarryMc
Author of IWB+, Custom Button Designer library, Custom Chart Designer library, Snippet Manager, IWGrid control library, LM_Image control library

sapero

What I've noticed on Win7 x64: clicking accessories/sound recorder does nothing. It starts when executing it from the menu start.
User help / Instruct32.chm (a handy help from Intel) - the window opens always at position 0,0, covered by the appbar. Must be a bug from the creator of that file. This help file always opens at the same position, not only when executed from the appbar.

Everything other worked ok.

The editor dialog could accept dropped files, allow editing existing items, and select the whole row.
The bar itself could implement a {context} menu for the basic appbar commands like autohide, position, drag, resize, lock.
To be more flexible, it could allow adding user categories, to fill the width of the bar.

Offtop: It is possible to drop files directly to a menu bar, even to a menu's submenu, but we don't need it here

LarryMc

It was basically just a one day project.
I might add to it later if I don't find something else that eats up all my time.

Besides, this one is free.

LarryMc
LarryMc