March 28, 2024, 01:27:43 PM

News:

IonicWind Snippit Manager 2.xx Released!  Install it on a memory stick and take it with you!  With or without IWBasic!

COMMENTS: Create a custom control (using the GDI+ Flat api)

Started by LarryMc, July 06, 2011, 10:25:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

billhsln

Interesting note:  I recompiled a program, then I used another one of my programs that I copy from where the program gets compiled to move it to where I want it to be run from.  When I tried the copy right after the recompile, my program said it could not find the new exe.  When I closed the Compiler and then loaded it back up and the ran the copy it worked ok.

Bill
When all else fails, get a bigger hammer.

Brian

Larry - sorry, my mistake - I didn't have all the Command Paks selected

Brian

Pip1957

LarryMc

LarryMc
Larry McCaughn :)
Author of IWB+, Custom Button Designer library, Custom Chart Designer library, Snippet Manager, IWGrid control library, LM_Image control library

jerryclement

;)
Works okay on my 4 core 3.2 ghz 8gig win7 computer Larry
JerryC
Jerry - Newbie from TN

billhsln

Just a little off topic, however, since you are teaching, this might be of use to know.  I know you prefer to use Sapero's Includes, what I was wondering.  Do all the defines and stuff get included in your program, also does it add more time to the compiles?  I wonder this, because I would think it would be better to add in only what you need without all the other overhead.  Which is why when I create a program, I do my own defines and etc.  But, if it does not make that much difference, then I will just start adding in the includes.

Thanks,
Bill

LarryMc

The CCT_Demo.iwb file has the include in it but it is not really needed.
I compiled with and without the include.
The resulting file size of the exe's were identical.

It has to take longer if the include is there because it has to be processed.
But the demo compiles so fast I really can't see the difference.

To me, when you compare any additional time it takes to compile with the include pales in comparison to the amount of time spent locating and typing in the proper declaration.  But again, it is just a strong personal preference of mine.

Not to mention it reduces the size of your source files.

LarryMc
LarryMc
Author of IWB+, Custom Button Designer library, Custom Chart Designer library, Snippet Manager, IWGrid control library, LM_Image control library

billhsln

Thanks for the info.

Now for the next question.  Where do you find the declares and a definition of what they are capable of doing?  Is there maybe a site that has them defined and their uses?  I know that there are lots of them defined in the includes and was just wondering what some of them do and how they can be used.

Thanks,
Bill

LarryMc

For the GDI+ stuff I use what forum member Jose Roca has on his site.  Although it is for another basic it has a lot of useful info.

http://www.jose.it-berater.org/gdiplus/iframe/index.htm

For the windows stuff in general you can download the Windows SDK here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Windows_SDK

LarryMc
LarryMc

LarryMc

Another little side track.  My wife needs a program that pulls information out of my family history software so she can search for partial names, parents, and siblings.  We're trying to get all the pictures we have scanned and labeled with the correct names before we're gone.  If we don't get it done  then when we're gone about a third of the pictures become worthless.

May take me a few days to get it done and then I'll be back finishing up the tuorial.

LarryMc
LarryMc

billhsln

There is a neat little graphic utility called ImageMagick, it will allow you to put words into a picture.  Might make your job easier.

Bill

LarryMc

She's using Windows Live Gallery which makes it super easy.
And she can click on a persons name in a menu and it will find all the images with that person in them.

LarryMc
LarryMc

LarryMc

OK, got wife's program done. Now back to the tutorial today (between football games ;D)

LarryMc
LarryMc