March 28, 2024, 03:11:34 AM

News:

IonicWind Snippit Manager 2.xx Released!  Install it on a memory stick and take it with you!  With or without IWBasic!

COMMENTS: Create a custom control (using the GDI+ Flat api)

Started by LarryMc, July 06, 2011, 10:25:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LarryMc

Reader comments/questions go here.

LarryMc
LarryMc
Larry McCaughn :)
Author of IWB+, Custom Button Designer library, Custom Chart Designer library, Snippet Manager, IWGrid control library, LM_Image control library

Haim

Larry,
Thank you for all your efforts.
It would be very interesting to see how you create a custom control.
Using GDI+ is a an additional benefit.
I am eagerly awaiting your tutorial.
Thanks again,

Haim

LarryMc

Working on preliminary TOC (WIP)

Introduction
Scope
Review
  Windows
  Controls
User's Control Spec
Dynamic Link or Static Library
Development Environment
Control Required Components

Any comments/suggestions are welcome.

LarryMc
LarryMc
Author of IWB+, Custom Button Designer library, Custom Chart Designer library, Snippet Manager, IWGrid control library, LM_Image control library

LarryMc

Noone has any questions/comments/requests for clarification?

LarryMc
LarryMc

whitenite1

I'm sorry Larry. I don't really understand IWBasic much, but by reading these sections you're doing, I am getting a better grasp of it. It's kind of hard to ask questions or even ask for clarification, when you're (ie: me) not quite sure what's happening. I do enjoy reading them and learning, as I'm sure many others do also. We thank you...

whitenite1 

LarryMc

Nothing to be sorry for.

You should have seen me in the beginning.
( And to people likie Sapero, I'm still at the beginning! :D)

I guess my ego is wanting to think that what I am writing is actually helping someone and not just the incoherent ramblings of an old man. ;)

LarryMc
LarryMc

jerryclement

:)
Larry,
I enjoy reading your tutorials. It helps me to understand better what's going on.  I cannot get enough of the very confusing 'messages' windows use to communicate.  I appreciate your ego's desire to help others!
Thanks,
JerryC
;D
Jerry - Newbie from TN

whitenite1

+1  from me also, Larry.
Quote from: jerryclement on July 29, 2011, 08:52:56 PM
:)
Larry,
I enjoy reading your tutorials. It helps me to understand better what's going on.  I cannot get enough of the very confusing 'messages' windows use to communicate.  I appreciate your ego's desire to help others!
Thanks,
JerryC
;D

I really enjoy ALL the Ionic Wind programs I've purchased, and ALL the help I've received from the knowledgeable users.

whitenite1 

LarryMc

new post on tutorial will probably be slow this week.. I've got to get all my grand-daughter' stuff packed up (along with a trailer load of furniture) to take to her at her mother's(400 miles one way).  After 7+ years they decided she'll live with her mother and not us anymore.  Anyway, I have to do a litlle and rest a lot.  I'll actually make the drive this coming Saturday.

But as Arnold would say, "I'ull bee backkk!"

LarryMc
LarryMc

LarryMc

Well, Fri it took me and my son almost 4 hours to load my truck and low-boy trailer after he got off work Friday.  Besides my bad health what made it really bad was the 104 temperature.  We left @ 4AM Sat morning, drove the 400+ miles; unloaded; visited a few minutes (temp was in the low to mid 90's but the humidity was 95%); then got back in truck and drove the 400+ miles back.  Got home around 6:30PM.  Ate, paid some bills, and was in bed by 9:00pm.  Didn't get up until 9 something this morning and my body aches all over.  I'm too old for that stuff.

Anyway, I will be back to work on the tutorial tomorrow (posting the next section sometime tomorrow).

LarryMc
LarryMc

Brian

Hey, Larry,

You be careful. I took two of my grandsons to a cave on Tuesday. Was about
a half-mile in, and then back. Sometimes you had to bend double for yards on
end to get through (although it was worth it). Whole trip was about 90
minutes

Then went on to a waterfall, where you could walk behind it. Needless to say,
we got a bit wet...

I didn't know where to put myself for a couple of days - ached in every
bone! Serves me right!

Brian

tbohon

Larry:

First take care of yourself ... as we obtain more and more experience in life (my explanation for becoming an old f**t  ;) ) we need to learn to pace ourselves.  Example:  last Saturday I was up at 0500, on site at 0645 to set up a Hamfest for our local Amateur Radio Emergency Service team.  Left there at 1300 and went to a local PetSmart where I'm a volunteer handler for a Greyhound adoption group out of Oregon (I'm in Washington state).  Spent 3+ hours being pulled around by a very energetic and awfully strong 2 yo male named Apollo (brindle, gorgeous and just a love), rushed home to change clothes and de-dogify myself then headed to our county fair to pull a 5+ hour shift as a communications operator in the Sheriff's communications van - sort of the 9-1-1 for the fairgrounds kind of thing.  Got home at 2230 and almost literally collapsed into bed.  I'm still sore and having trouble walking from being on my feet almost continuously for 16 hours straight - and I too know better, trust me.

As to the tutorial you're doing - WOWSERS!!!!!  I'm enjoying reading it and several things that I did but didn't know why I did are now clear ... all as a result of your efforts.  Good job and I'm looking forward to the ebook when the series is over - count me as a purchaser when it's available.

Take care.

Tom
"If you lead your life the right way, the karma will take care of itself ... the dreams will come to you."  -- Randy Pausch, PhD (1961-2008)

billhsln

Just wanted to say that your tutorial has been enlightening for me.  I have reread it a few times now and have learned new things every time.  May take a few more times before it all sinks in.

Thanks for taking the time and effort for doing this,
Bill
When all else fails, get a bigger hammer.

LarryMc

Thanks for the kind words.  I just wish I was a better tech writer; and a little faster at it.
Oh well, we'll get there.

LarryMc
LarryMc

billhsln

Speed is way less important than good content.  You have excellent content and it is written well enough to be understood, which is also important.

Thanks again,
Bill
When all else fails, get a bigger hammer.

Haim

LarryMc

Almost had the next section done and had planned on posting it today but....sometimes life gets in the way.
My wife had an uncle pass away Sun morning and we're helping get things done.

Plus, there was some other stuff that came up we had to address.

So, hopefully things will be lined out enough where I can post the next section before the end of the week.

LarryMc
LarryMc

Brian

Larry,

You take your time. I've been steadily going through your posts, and have found it great
reading and easy to understand, even for me!

Brian

RitchieF

Great work !

Finally a tutorial for IWBasic which makes some things clearer to me . I have to reread it again and again to fully understand it . Will take some time til everything reaches my little casual programmer brain  ;)

Richard

LarryMc

The section that is coming up - Graphics Review - is going to be, for me, the hardest part to explain in a simple form.

So this is a heads up that it may take me a little while to get my thoughts (and wording) squared away.

LarryMc
LarryMc

LarryMc

As it turned out, it wasn't that hard after all.
That is, provided readers understand what i wrote.

I'm still open for any questions.

LarryMc
LarryMc

RitchieF

I'm reading your tut with german subtitles in my brain but I understand what you write, Larry  ;D

Thanks for your efforts !

Richard

John S

here is the whole thing to date in pdf format - enjoy
John Siino, Advanced Engineering Services and Software

RitchieF

Larry,
while the project of part 7 compiled perfect, the project of part 8 shows odd behavior. Compiling it sometimes it shows only the empty Gage Demo window, sometimes I see one control with a red pointer, sometimes I see ten controls like in part 7 but only a red circle in the center of each control .

Richard

LarryMc

Obviously it compiles fine for me, every time.  So here's the questions:
1. You're talking about the zipped project whose src files have -Part08 in the file names, right?
2. You made no changes in the files?
3. What version of IWBasic are you using? (latest is 2.09 compiler 2.095)
4. what type of OS?
5. What option flags do you have set in the IDE?

LarryMc
LarryMc