March 28, 2024, 12:11:12 PM

News:

IonicWind Snippit Manager 2.xx Released!  Install it on a memory stick and take it with you!  With or without IWBasic!

Preview Version instructions

Started by Ionic Wind Support Team, May 29, 2007, 11:32:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Allan

Thank you Paul.
Whenever you have the time will do fine.

Armando Rivera

Linking this manually, I got it to link correctly like so:

ld -e _gtkstart -o ./testlib ./testlib.o ../libebasic.a ./libabclib.a -lc -lgtk-x11-2.0 -ldl -I /lib/ld-linux.so.2

Executed from the folder containing the source and object files.

I have the ebasic lib one level up, thus the ../libebasic.a.

@Paul:  Would it be possible to modify the editor so that the path to the lib isn't hardcoded to /usr/lib?  Just have it use the same location as the ebparse file?

The reason I ask is so that I can place the entire package on a thumb drive and not have to copy the lib over to that location when going from machine to machine.

Also, when invoking $USE is the parameter passed to the linker as is?  Trying $USE "./libabclib.a" resulted in linker errors.

Thanks!

Quick tip:  Nasm adds a .comment section to every file it assembles.  To make things a bit smaller, you can strip the final executable with:

strip -R.comment <filename>

If you want to gain an additional reduction of about 20-25K in Gui apps, just strip the executable with:

strip -s <filename>

You can always combine the two, if you like.

Cheers!

AIR.
"Programming is like Poetry. Sometimes the words just escape you..."
-me, to my manager.

http://www.recursivemedia.net

Ionic Wind Support Team

Armando,
No fear as the real IDE will have configurable paths.  ebtinyide i just something to use while I am working with the language proper.  The error with $use "./libabclib.a" is probably due to the ide, and not the linker.

Paul.
Ionic Wind Support Team

Allan

Hello AIR

Really pleased to see you on this forum.

regards,
Allan

Armando Rivera

Thanks, Allan.

I've been lurking for a long while, and finally took the plunge.  I'm really liking what I'm seeing so far!

AIR.
-me, to my manager.

Allan

I also think it will be an excellent language the way it is looking!
I still have those links to X11 and linux topics you gave me, way back.
They have been really helpful but some are a bit heavy reading.
Allan

Armando Rivera

Cool, glad you're still using 'em!

If you want GTK/GLib etc docs on your system, install the DevHelp package and the *-doc packages for each.

I have to say that I was a bit hesitant to take the plunge, but I'm glad I did.  The language is feature rich, but I can still get down and dirty with Gtk/Glade api.  The best of both worlds, and it's only been two days!

What really sealed the deal is Nasm.  Gotta have my Nasm!  When I discovered that EB was using it, I was sold.

Awesome job, Paul.  My hat's off to ya!  Just a quick question:  for the upcoming IDE, will you be using GtkSourceView, or Scintilla?  Not rushing you, just curious.

If asked, I would say Scintilla because I think it's more robust, I've used it, and it would be an easier migration path since you've used it too....;)

Right now, I'm using SciTE which is an awesome editor.  An IDE would be sweet though...

AIR.
-me, to my manager.

Ionic Wind Support Team

Scintilla of course.  The development IDE used GtkSourceView for convenience.

Paul.
Ionic Wind Support Team

Allan

Hi AIR

Just had another look through your original examples with GTK and Glade from a year or so ago. They are great.
Liked your editor too but I did not have the compiler you needed so I could not do much 'playing around' with the code.

Thanks for the advise on the Help Files. Just what I need at the moment as I want to get into the 'API' side of it for a while.

Allan

Doc

Just installed the latest Ubuntu version this evening along with all of the required pkgs and can't seem to get anything to compile...

Using the shell:

~/eb_linux$ ebparse "lines.eba" "lines.o"
Segmentation fault

Using Tiny IDE:

Compiling...

lines.eba

Segmentation fault
Error(s) compiling lines.eb

Even tried using bumblebee's mineide without luck

I've checked and double-checked the file locations and permissions and as best I can tell, everything is in order. Any ideas?

-Doc-

P.S. You guys knew I couldn't resist for very long, didn't ya?  ;)

Allan

Hi Doc

I had that segment fault the other week - see this link

http://www.ionicwind.com/forums/index.php/topic,2714.0.html

The segment fault i had was not in the installation but in the source code of the EBA.

A pointer was used as an INT and ebparse said segment fault.

So check your .eba code out for errors.

regards,
Allan