March 28, 2024, 09:43:20 AM

News:

Own IWBasic 2.x ? -----> Get your free upgrade to 3.x now.........

Capturing the desktop to avi

Started by sapero, February 05, 2008, 07:09:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sapero

February 05, 2008, 07:09:14 PM Last Edit: February 05, 2008, 07:17:26 PM by sapero
This is a tool for realtime capturing your desktop to real video file. Video size, codec and frame rate can be easy configured.
The screen cursor can be included in video, mouse clicks are signalled by a short time circle icon.
Instead hooking the system (in order to collect mouse clicks) I have choosed direct input with event notification, handled in separate thread.

With XVID codec configured for realtime compression, reached ~2MB/minute for WXGA 1280x768 24bit with very good quality.

The default  settings are:
- fps: 5
- source: whole desktop
- stop recording in 5th minute
- stop recording if WIN+1 or mouse wheel button pressed.
- avi path: c:\capture.avi - win XP standard :)

pistol350

Hi Sapero!  8)

As nobody post any feedback, i guess i'm the only one who get that result.
First when i launch the application my PC freeze and the only thing i can do is Hover my mouse (not my mouth ::) even though in that kind of situation you may feel like doing so  ;D).
Whatever, my PC remains frozen for 5 min (which is a normal thing as it's the recording time).
The size of the output "c:\capture.avi" file is 4 Go    :o :o :o I guess it's due to my 1280 x 1024 screen size ... ???

Any suggestions ?
Regards,

Peter B.

sapero

February 09, 2008, 07:13:59 AM #2 Last Edit: February 09, 2008, 07:21:51 AM by sapero
Heyhey,

Disk access on Windows platforms has 100% priority, so when some app heavily uses the disk, you can forget "my pc is fast". It was :)
I have new SATA drive 80GB with NTFS compression turned on in all data folders (a very huge list). It works as the primary disk, and when i try to delete temporary internet files (about 100MB), my PC is interested only with deleting, I'm only able to move the cursor.
It's not only enumerate/query attributes/delete, the antivirus is loading every file to check for bugs.

My screen resolution is wxga 1280x768 (ati mobility x600), with XVID configured as mentioned above, 11 minutes avi is only 13 MB big, while the quality is 100%. My primary codec pack is "klcodec340f".

Delete the capture.config file and run the recorder again. Select xvid (you probably choosed uncompressed RGB) then click configure.
Configure settings as mentioned and aplly. Do not choose Uncompressed  if you want your PC to be usable :)
If you choose uncompressed format, the video writer will push fps * (size of screen bitmap) every second to avi file, so max 20MB/s for 1280x1024.

Push the mouse wheel button, or WIN+1 (key_one) to break recording at any time.

pistol350

LOL! from 20Mb to 4Gb :o huge difference!
Anyway, i forgot to mention that i did not recompile the source, i only launched the given application.As a consequence i did not check the configs, so i'll give it a try later on and then give feedbacks.

Thanks Sapero.
Regards,

Peter B.