June 16, 2024, 05:43:41 AM

News:

Own IWBasic 2.x ? -----> Get your free upgrade to 3.x now.........

Self extracting program

Started by Andy, March 28, 2015, 07:47:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy

Hi,

I was wondering if it's possible that when someone clicks on an exe file that I have created and placed in a  zip folder, is it possible the exe file can "ask" where you want to extract it to and then run from the selected loctation?

Could that be possible?

I have seen on the forum unzip.eba but don't seem to have a copy.

Thanks,
Andy.

Day after day, day after day, we struck nor breath nor motion, as idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean.

sam.cogswell

Google "winzip"
This allows you to create self extracting files

LarryMc

Quote from: andy1966 on March 28, 2015, 07:47:40 AM
I have seen on the forum unzip.eba but don't seem to have a copy.
Are you seeing an attachment named 'unzip.eba'?
Where you see 'unzip.eba' in a search it is just a destination filename in an application.
Where you see 'S111_UnZip.eba' in a search it is part of my snippit program when Sapero was helping debug it.

As far as I know there is no specific program called unzip.eba (not on my pc anyway)

Where I zip and unzip things inside my apps I use 7zip and its dll.

The InnoTools would allow you you to ask where you wanted to install then it would install itself there and then run from there.
LarryMc
Larry McCaughn :)
Author of IWB+, Custom Button Designer library, Custom Chart Designer library, Snippet Manager, IWGrid control library, LM_Image control library

LarryMc

And InnoTools compiles everything into one big exe file regardless of how many file you have or how many places you put them and you can have as many programs run automatically after installation as you want if you need that.
LarryMc
Larry McCaughn :)
Author of IWB+, Custom Button Designer library, Custom Chart Designer library, Snippet Manager, IWGrid control library, LM_Image control library

Bill-Bo

andy,

I have used Total Commander (TC) for years. I allows you to open a zip file, clip an executable and run it. It does so in a temporary directory that TC creates. The only problem is, as it will be with any other, it doesn't know to also extract file(s) the program uses; photo, sound files, etc. You would have to copy the files to where you want.

Bill

ckoehn

I use CreateInstall Free.  I like the older version better than the newer one.  The newer one seems more complicated.

Later,
Clint

Andy

Thanks everyone,

Sorry I could not reply sooner, I will look at all the suggestions now, I'm sure they will be very helpful.

Thanks,
Andy.
:)
Day after day, day after day, we struck nor breath nor motion, as idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean.