June 16, 2024, 07:41:39 AM

News:

Own IWBasic 2.x ? -----> Get your free upgrade to 3.x now.........

Details about Aurora?

Started by Peter, February 15, 2006, 08:01:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter

Hi there Paul and everyone else. Been searching around the forums and I don't know if it's just that I'm blind or if this hasn't been discussed yet.

I'm curious about some details about Aurora. Is it possible to write drivers, or possibly even "native applications" (those ran before windows is actually started etc) and other "lowlevel-applications"?

If I want to use libs, are there any static libs that under certain circumstances won't work? I remember having some issues with "another language" when it came to the point where I needed MXM (mini xm, module format, music) support in an application and the only fair support I found was written in Borland C and couldn't be used in it. All libraries, as most people know in here I suppose, don't come with sourcecode so they can't always be ported.

Thanks,
Peter.

Shannara

I have to say, that with the scant time I have been able to devote to Aurora, I was majorly impressed. I use VB/PB for my home corp (primarily), and C# for my day job (State of AK), and after being introduced to Aurora, I find it the best of both worlds in many ways. Unfortunately, I do not have much experience with it, and there are other heavily qualified forum members who have much more experience .... however, from what I am able to determine. ... damn, it's worth the money.

1. Since we can make drivers in Visual Basic :) :), we should be definately able to do it in Aurora.
2. Native applications? I havent heard much about, but if you can do it in ASM, then you should be able to do it in Aurora?
3. There is a Common Controls library (?) for Aurora, w/ source purchasable. May want to dink around with that :)

I know I am not able to answer all the questions, and most probably not even properly ... but ... :) I hope this is a start.
Love is staying up all night with a sick child, or a healthy adult.

Ionic Wind Support Team

Drivers, sure.

Programs that start before windows?  Aurora creates native Win32 executables so Windows would need to be running, or at the minimum the kernel loaded.

Aurora supports Win32 COFF static libraries.  Every compiler has its own naming convention though so there is no way to guarantee a static library written in another language would link without problems.  I've use MSVC++ 6.0 static libraries without too much difficulty.
Ionic Wind Support Team

Parker

Quote3. There is a Common Controls library (?) for Aurora, w/ source purchasable. May want to dink around with that :)

The CCL is the common class library, and it's not lost, I just have a very hard time getting around to it since I have many other things (mostly non programming) to do. But once Lewis returns it will be more active.

Shannara

I put a ? in there, meaning that I probably have the name wrong, not that it's lost or anything :)
Love is staying up all night with a sick child, or a healthy adult.