March 28, 2024, 03:05:30 PM

News:

IonicWind Snippit Manager 2.xx Released!  Install it on a memory stick and take it with you!  With or without IWBasic!

camera set back plane

Started by kryton9, August 22, 2006, 11:15:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kryton9

camera.SetBackPlane();ÂÃ,  I assumed that controlled the camera range, that is how far off into the distance it sees. But no matter what I set it too, it still sees only the same distance.

If this is not the correct command, how can I increase the range(distance) the camera sees?

Ionic Wind Support Team

That is the correct command.  The backplane of the frustum is from the cameras position.  And it does work ;)
Ionic Wind Support Team

kryton9

I set it to higher values and it wouldn't see any further. Is 1000 the maximum size? I was going higher than that and it wouldn't go higher or see any further?

I in the meantime I redid all my models(very simple ones) and made them much smaller to fit into the 1000 range and into the game world :)

Ionic Wind Support Team

No.  I've used values of 10K or more.  Sure your not setting it twice somewhere?

Ionic Wind Support Team

Ionic Wind Support Team

August 23, 2006, 12:28:28 AM #4 Last Edit: August 23, 2006, 12:32:53 AM by Paul Turley
OK I do remember something about Direct3D and a clipping problem.  The 1000.0 value jogged my memory.  Has to do with Z buffer writing....i'll look through the docs.

I recommend scaling things down anyway.  Units in direct 3D are arbitrary so pick a scale that has meaningful representation.  1.0 = 1 meter or whatever you like.

Ionic Wind Support Team

Ionic Wind Support Team

And the problem is your front plane.  DX uses the ratio of the near and far clipping planes to determine Z buffer resolution.  Increase your near (front) plane to something greater than 1.0f, say 10.0f and see if that helps. 
Ionic Wind Support Team

kryton9

Thanks will try that in another one as I remade all the models smaller. Nice to know that can adjust for it in the future :)