April 20, 2024, 06:10:20 AM

News:

Own IWBasic 2.x ? -----> Get your free upgrade to 3.x now.........

Adding Help Files

Started by ckoehn, April 03, 2020, 07:43:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ckoehn

This has really been bugging me.  I copied and followed the directions for both IWComLib and IWNETCS to move to the proper directories. The help files are suppose to show up under help. Doesn't happen.  Nothing is "blocked" and in the right directories.

I tried the "Add Help" under the "Tools" menu and couldn't get that to work either.

What am I doing wrong?

Later,
Clint

Egil

Hi Clint,

I had the same problem here once. But then I finally decided to follow the steps shown in the Users Guide.
In the Utilities section of the Users guide I found a choice called Help Menu Editor. I just follwed the steps there. Should work for you as well.

Good luck!

Egil
Support Amateur Radio  -  Have a ham  for dinner!

ckoehn

I think I tried that Egil. Do the files have to be in a different direction then the install instructions say? I think I even did that. Nothing I tried seemed to work.
It's trying to rain here. Maybe tomorrow I can look at it again.

Later,
Clint

Egil

The help files can be in any directory, but preferrably in the IWB3/help directory. But the path must be specified, wherever you have put the files, using the input form in the Help Menu Editor.
For add-on libraries any incc file must be placed in the IWB3/bin directory, any lib files in the IWB3/libs directory and any inc files in the IWB3/include directory.

Good Luck!

Egil
Support Amateur Radio  -  Have a ham  for dinner!

ckoehn

I can't seem to make this work.
My controlpak.incc is under C:\IWBDev3\bin folder
My controlpak.chm is under C:\IWBDev3\help folder.

Picture 1 was what the help file showed.
Picture 2 was the files I was wanting to add to help
Picture 3 was my help menu after the add.

Has to be something easy I'm missing.

Later,
Clint

LarryMc

Show me a picture of the two .incc files create in either of the 2 places describe here from the two example you tride to create below:

QuoteThis is the unique name of the file (with '.incc' extension) that will contain this help's information. All '*.incc' files are located in the User's My Documents/Application Data folder for IWBASIC for a normal installation and in the IWBDec/help2 folder for a "memory stick" installation..

LarryMc
LarryMc
Larry McCaughn :)
Author of IWB+, Custom Button Designer library, Custom Chart Designer library, Snippet Manager, IWGrid control library, LM_Image control library

ckoehn

Is this what you mean?

Later,
Clint

LarryMc

Sorry, I didn't ask my question correctly.

When a new help file entry is created in the help menu (and the is true for the tool menu also) a "configname".incc file is created with  the parameters which is read at IDE startup to initialize the menus.

Now, depending upon how you installed IWB, the files are stored in one of two places. The IWB help file describes it this way:

QuoteThis is the unique name of the file (with '.incc' extension) that will contain this help's information. All '*.incc' files are located in the User's My Documents/Application Data folder for IWBASIC for a normal installation and in the IWBDec/help2 folder for a "memory stick" installation..

I was asking you to show me the controlpak.incc to see if it was actually created.

And, as I write this, I'm wondering if you are logged on to your computer with admin rights and installed IWB with admin rights
LarryMc
Author of IWB+, Custom Button Designer library, Custom Chart Designer library, Snippet Manager, IWGrid control library, LM_Image control library

ckoehn

April 09, 2020, 12:09:47 PM #8 Last Edit: April 09, 2020, 12:17:52 PM by ckoehn
I reinstalled IWBasic as an administrator just to be sure.  Ran it as an administrator just to be sure.  Still couldn't add a help file.

But.. I can add a tool.  Just added GCBasic (I use that for programming my microcontrollers) to see if it would work.  Look at the image and see where it stored it.  The extension is INCT not INCC.

It works though. The AppData folder is a hidden folder.

There was nothing in the tools folder before I added GCBasic.

Later,
Clint

ckoehn

Forgot to add the image.

LarryMc

Clint
try this for me
create a folder on your C:\ drive called YYY

download the attachment for me into that folder
rename the file so it has a .chm  ext.

open the IDE and try to use to create a new help menu entry
name the config untittle
name the menu entry UnUn
go to c:\YYY and select the chm file

see if it works because it worked fine for me.
LarryMc

ckoehn

That didn't work for me.  I even started my IDE as Administrator.  Is there a specific file it stores that info in that may be blocked?  If you could give me that filename I could look.  Do you have any other idea?

It seems strange that my "Add Tool" works but not my "Add Menu".

Later,
Clint

LarryMc

Quote from: ckoehn on April 12, 2020, 12:43:22 PMIs there a specific file it stores that info in that may be blocked?  If you could give me that filename I could look.
In the example I asked you to create it would be
notitle.incc
and the contents on my computer was:
'*NAME|UnUn
'*HELPFILE|c:\yyy\untitled.chm,UnUn

and on my computer it is found in the help2 dir because I installed IWB on my PC asif it was a memory stick.
The advantage of this is if my computer crashes and the registry is corrupted I don't mess up  IWB in any way.
LarryMc

ckoehn

Mine is was installed as normal.  Not a memory stick.  Maybe that's my problem.

I'll see if I can get to it later today and install as a memory stick.

Later,
Clint

ckoehn

OK, couldn't wait till this afternoon.  I installed it as a memory stick and it worked!  So installing it "normal" is not the way to go.

Later,
Clint