April 19, 2024, 07:53:40 AM

News:

IonicWind Snippit Manager 2.xx Released!  Install it on a memory stick and take it with you!  With or without IWBasic!

Pointer problem

Started by Andy, November 13, 2019, 02:34:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy

November 13, 2019, 02:34:30 AM Last Edit: November 13, 2019, 02:36:42 AM by Andy
This has me stumped.

Here is some code (attached) I pulled out of my program and dropped it into a separate file so I could try to find the problem.

I'm using two pointers here,

#pIndex
#pIndexTo

The value of #pIndexTo[1].Range[inw,inl,1] cannot be > 30.

After - AND ONLY after Next a (line 124) there are many range values way over 30 which is incorrect.

If I comment out line 117
'#pIndex[1].Entry[inw,inl,ina] = a

#pIndexTo[1].Range[inw,inl,1] is correct.

The question is why? I need both pointers.

Help!!
Andy.
Day after day, day after day, we struck nor breath nor motion, as idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean.

fasecero

Hi Andy,

There's a few things I can spot:

- A name collision inside BuildWordSize(), 'a' is being used as an array and as the FOR / NEXT variable counter.

- Array indices start at 0, so to be able to use Range[inw,inl,1] -> int Range[30,30,2] needs to be declared.

- the pointers:

pointer pIndex = NEW(MYUD2,1)
pointer pIndexTo = NEW(MYUD3,1)

are scalar pointers (instead of arrays) so

#pIndex[1].Entry[inw,inl,ina] = a
#pIndexTo[1].Range[inw,inl,1] = ina

you can remove the square brackets

#pIndex.Entry[inw,inl,ina] = a
#pIndexTo.Range[inw,inl,1] = ina

or index = 0.

Andy

Fasecero,

Thanks for looking at this problem, turns out one of the pointer array sizes wasn't large enough - a simple answer in the end after trying everything else of course.

Now in my main program (not this one attached) I have other pointers, when I dropped them into this program (and vice versa with my main program) the programs(s) crash while building the pointer arrays (BuildWordSize) sub.

Is there a limit to how many pointers we can use per program? or am I missing anything again?

The attached program works, but un-commenting any of the other pointers causes the crash.

Thanks,
Andy.
Day after day, day after day, we struck nor breath nor motion, as idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean.

fasecero

pointer pRange
TYPE newudp
     int Range[29,100,1]
ENDTYPE
pRange = NEW(newudp,1)
SETTYPE pRange,newudp

pointer pRangeAt
TYPE newudp2
     int Range[29,100,1]
ENDTYPE
pRangeAt = NEW(newudp2,1)
SETTYPE pRangeAt,newudp2

Andy,

No limit at all for pointers. But again, remember, array indices start at 0. Your "Range" arrays are out of range ;) these lines

#pRangeAt.Range[inw,inl,1] = ina
#pRange.Range[inw,inl,1] = ina

are out of bounds.

What will happen if an array goes out of bounds? anything might happen. The application may crash, it may freeze, it may eject your CD-ROM drive. It may even, if you are really unlucky, appear to work correctly, and corrupt something else on your program later on.

You need to use:

#pRangeAt.Range[inw,inl,0] = ina
#pRange.Range[inw,inl,0] = ina

Andy

Fasecero,

Yes, as always you are right, guess it's just down to tiredness, just having a heck of a few days work wise.

Amended my main program to ,0's and all is well!

Thanks you again for your time on this!
Andy.
 :)