March 28, 2024, 10:54:25 AM

News:

Own IWBasic 2.x ? -----> Get your free upgrade to 3.x now.........

Colours

Started by GWS, February 25, 2019, 08:03:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GWS

February 25, 2019, 08:03:57 AM Last Edit: February 25, 2019, 10:18:37 PM by GWS Reason: Small change to the program. Listview Description column was too long.
Hi Folks,

I thought this program might be of some use.

It's on the same lines as my previous ASCII utility, but it deals with Colours instead of characters. :)

The colours are as defined on the Web. You can type something like "Sky Blue color code" into Google, and it will describe all the parameters for the named colour.

There are 140 colours listed in this program - but you can enter more if you need to.

Many of the colours are quite pale - so some appear much the same as some other pale colours - but they are slightly different if you look closely.

I find them useful when choosing a window or control background colour.  Black text seems to show pretty clearly against these paler colours.

All the best, :)

Graham
Tomorrow may be too late ..

GWS

February 25, 2019, 10:35:50 PM #1 Last Edit: February 27, 2019, 02:16:22 AM by GWS
Oops ..  :-[

I noticed that I'd left the Listview Description column too wide- so a horizontal scrollbar was showing  ::)

I've changed the zip attachment above, so you now get an extra display line ..  :)

Graham

GWS

February 28, 2019, 12:41:35 AM #2 Last Edit: February 28, 2019, 12:44:04 AM by GWS
Many thanks to billhsln for sending me a huge list of named colors ..  :)

I'm now busy trying to add a selection to this program.

One problem is that there are so many, there's often little difference in the RGB values so it's difficult to see any difference.  I'll just pick some useful ones.

Bill's colors are sorted by color rather than name.
So I'm adding them to the list marked with an * such as "* Prussian Blue".

This might take a while ..  ::)

Best wishes, :)

Graham

billhsln

You could use my program that I am using to see a whole bunch at once.  Not sure if I can send you the exe, but I did send the IWB.

Bill

PS, sorry about giving you more work.
When all else fails, get a bigger hammer.

GWS

Hi Bill,

No problems - I'm always interested to develop useful little programs.

Thanks very much for the colors text file - very interesting.

I got your .iwb code thanks.  Trouble is, like most people, you use .inc files - windows.inc etc.  I never use those - I'm a bit odd that way.
I do use api dll's quite often, and I don't suppose there's much difference to use .inc add-ons. But I like to see all the routines I use clearly defined in each program.

Just funny that way  ::)

Anyway, I'm picking out some useful colors from your data, and extending the listview in the Colors program.  It's a pick and mix operation .. :)

Graham

GWS

Hi folks,

I've added lots of Bill's colors - there are now 250 choices ..  :P

Many of the colors in Bill's huge list, differ only slightly from each other.
It becomes quite difficult to perceive the color difference. So I've picked out those which seemed useful.

Attached is the latest version with the extended color choice.

Graham

billhsln

Glad you could use them.  If any one is interested in a list of over 2500 colors, let me know and I will put it here.  But like Graham said, most are just so slightly different then each other that it is hardly worth it.

Bill

PS, does any one know of a way to get the colors to look like a rainbow?  I am trying to 'sort' the colors in that way, but am having no luck.  Thanks.
When all else fails, get a bigger hammer.

Brian

Thanks, Graham,

I had already converted your first effort to IWB, so it was pretty easy to add your new colours into the program. Here it is, minus the ico file, which it won't let me upload

Brian

GWS

Hi Brian,

If you re-compile the program, and choose the icon again (I use the butterfly on the 4th window of browse options), it should re-appear ..  :)

Best wishes,

Graham

Brian

Graham,
Thanks for that. What I meant was that the forum software doesn't let you upload a file of type .ico
Brian

GWS

Hi,

OK .. I didn't know that - I've never had to upload a .ico file.

I see $$$icon.res is one of files created by EBasic and I imagine IWB, when it compiles a program.

One of the de-merits of using a compiler I suppose. ::)

Thankfully Creative Basic only creates one file - the .exe  :)

Just more efficient I guess  ;D

Graham  :)

Egil

Quote from: Brian on March 10, 2019, 03:42:29 AMWhat I meant was that the forum software doesn't let you upload a file of type .ico

Brian:
Just make a zip-file containing the files you want to post, and that problem is gone..

Graham:
I just love this kind of programming examples. thanks for sharing

Good luck to you both!
Egil
Support Amateur Radio  -  Have a ham  for dinner!

GWS

Thanks Egil .. :)  I hope you are keeping well.

Graham  :)

Egil

Getting better now Graham, but have been rather busy on the amateur radio front.
Will post some lines about this in the Off Topic section.

Egil
Support Amateur Radio  -  Have a ham  for dinner!