April 25, 2024, 05:00:38 PM

News:

IonicWind Snippit Manager 2.xx Released!  Install it on a memory stick and take it with you!  With or without IWBasic!

Audio recordings

Started by Egil, July 20, 2017, 02:46:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Egil

July 20, 2017, 02:46:53 AM Last Edit: July 21, 2017, 08:37:51 AM by Egil
Last year h3kt0r posted a wonderful example for audio recording and how to convert wav files to mp3 using the command line version of LAME.
(http://www.ionicwind.com/forums/index.php?topic=5869.msg43409#msg43409). His program works great as long as an external audio source is connected to the line in socket.

Most of the time I use a SDR radio, a USB dongle containing a very fast 24-bit ADC chip, and all filtering and demodulation takes place in computer software. The resulting audio is sent to the pc speakers, with the possibility to also route the signals via a "virtual audio cable" to enable other software to use the signals. At present I use the shareware AUDACITY for recordings by catching the signals sent to the speakers and line out. I should like to use h3kt0r's program instead. It uses only a fraction of the CPU load as Audacity, which is important to avoid both power consumption and and to keep generated radio frequency noise to a minimum.

Does anyone know how to modify his program, so it can "hear" the audio sent to the line out or speaker sockets?

Egil

EDIT:
Please disregard this post. When trying the Recorder program on a very old laptop running XP, it records whatever sound yoy hear in the speakers. 
There must be a function or two Microsoft not longer supplies with their newer Windows versions.
I'll try to find info on Windows multimedia functions, to see if there is a possibility to intercept the defaultAudio input.

Support Amateur Radio  -  Have a ham  for dinner!