March 28, 2024, 04:41:24 PM

News:

Own IWBasic 2.x ? -----> Get your free upgrade to 3.x now.........

Understanding the windows registry - Quicker Shutdown & Windows security alert!

Started by Andy, June 28, 2017, 06:07:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy

Anne (my better half) has been complaining for some time now about how long it takes her laptop (Windows 7) to shutdown.

So this is how we can speed up the shutdown process by using these registry values:

WaitToKillServiceTimeout - the time it takes windows to kill off each service on shutdown.

WaitToKillAppTimeout - same as above, but for applications.

HungAppTimeout - the time it takes windows to kill off an application that is not responding to the shutdown process.

AutoEndTasks - stops windows from asking you if you want to wait for an application to close before shutdown.

Here are the two locations you'll find these values in:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop

The first two registry values on Anne's laptop were set to 12 seconds! (value set to 12000)

So by setting the timeout settings to 1 second, and enabling automatic ending of tasks by windows (on shutdown) we can speed up the shutdown process.

BUT!!! before I explain how to use the two programs attached you should read the following I have just found out.

There is a registry key located here:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management

And there is an entry called:
ClearPageFileAtShutdown.

Now, from Windows 8 onwards, this value is automatically set to zero (0) - so what does that mean?

It means on shutdown, the windows pagefile is NOT deleted from your hard drive. So what? you might say, well that's all well and good if you're not over bothered about the security of your machine - HOWEVER - if you do banking online - I would suggest you reset ClearPageFileAtShutdown to 1, otherwise if your machine gets stolen - you may regret it.

The down side to turning it back on is that conversely to this topic, it will slow down the shut down process - it's up to you.

Now back to the shutdown program, compile (QuickerShutDown) but do not run it, find the exe file and run it as Admin otherwise it may not work.

As always - create a restore point first before running the program.

To reset the shutdown values back to what they were, compile and run as Admin QuickerShutDownReset.

The Registry.inc file is included in case you don't have a copy.

See if that speeds up your shutdowns, it did on Anne's laptop and have tried it six times now.

Good luck!

Andy.
:)

Day after day, day after day, we struck nor breath nor motion, as idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean.