April 25, 2024, 04:24:31 PM

News:

Own IWBasic 2.x ? -----> Get your free upgrade to 3.x now.........

Suggestions for new anti-virus software; my Avast causing problems

Started by arono, March 08, 2017, 08:16:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

arono

Hi,
In a previous communication with Larry Mc. regarding my problems with Avast anti-virus software (it thinks that IWBasic-created EXE's are malicious software), my license is about to expire with them and I wanted to confirm that Avast was the only AV software that caused this error. 

Is this correct?

Thanks

GWS

Hi Arono,

I usually work with CBasic, but I had the same problem with Norton AV - it thought every program I compiled was a threat - and promptly deleted it ! ..  ::)

It was something they called their Sonar detection system.  I complained about it, but their customer replies were automated and despite supplying them with lots of code and error messages, I got nowhere.

So I swapped to McAfee AV and have had no problems since.

Best wishes, :)

Graham

Tomorrow may be too late ..

billhsln

I use ESET NOD32 and have never had it come back with one of my programs being a virus.  I had a friend that a program I wrote for her did come up as a Virus.  I made it a Project and added the Resource information and it compiled fine and was no longer a virus to her machine.

Bill
When all else fails, get a bigger hammer.

Egil

I have had the same problems with Avast, McAfee and F-Secure. F-Secure even deleted several programs automaticly, whithout giving any notice!
Emails were sent to all three companies about the problem, but none of them ever responded.

When I changed to the free Microsoft Security Essentials, and all these problems dissapeared.
In addition I run Malwarebytes every second week, just in case....

Egil
Support Amateur Radio  -  Have a ham  for dinner!

Andy

I have had several problems in the past, not really with Avast, but other A/V's.

I used a site called VirusTotal to see what A/V's thought of my exe files, typically out of around 70, 10 to 15 would report them as virus.

This is nonsense as I wrote the code, I know what it does, and I would never write a virus!

I also know my PC is completely clean, and I scan it on a regular basis.

I found that building an exe as a project (rather than a single exe) reduced the false positive reports, and that adding in some details such as author name, exe name, file name / version also helped reduce the false positives.

It didn't completely clear all of them, and I have had to repeatedly submit the exe files one by one to the A/V companies before they clear it.

This is extremely time consuming, and if you change the exe even slightly, it can get flagged up again as a false positive.

You can add a manifest file for the exe, and get it digitally signed, but signing costs money, something
I'm not prepared to do.

So yes, it's frustrating - and I have never found an answer to it.

Andy.
Day after day, day after day, we struck nor breath nor motion, as idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean.

arono

Thanks all for your suggestions.  I may just stick with Avast since I know how to get around the malicious software problem.  I do my development in a folder of its own and designate that folder as an exception in Avast.  Not the best solution but it has worked so far.

Bruce Peaslee

Bruce Peaslee
"Born too loose."
iTired (There's a nap for that.)
Well, I headed for Las Vegas
Only made it out to Needles

Juhl

I've found eset to be pretty good. It seems to catch a lot of stuff.