April 25, 2024, 11:59:35 PM

News:

Own IWBasic 2.x ? -----> Get your free upgrade to 3.x now.........

BearMath

Started by GWS, March 02, 2017, 10:38:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GWS

March 02, 2017, 10:38:28 AM Last Edit: March 03, 2017, 12:26:34 AM by GWS
Hi folks,

I was interested to see Brian's Multiplication Table Helper program, which helps youngsters to learn multiplication  :)

It prompted me to finish a program I've had cooking for ages - a Learning Arithmetic program.
It provides short tests, each of 4 questions (which can be extended for up to 10 questions per test).

The level of difficulty is chosen from - Easy, Harder, or Difficult  :o

Questions are chosen from the Add, Subtract, Multiply or Divide options.

Inside the program, Easy is assigned Level 1, Harder is Level 2, and Difficult is Level 3.

The number of digits in each part of a question is set to 10 ^ Level.
So Level one values are up to 10, Level 2 values are up to 100, and Level 3 values up to 1000 :o

This means that unless the user is an expert at mental arithmetic, paper and pencil will be needed to work out the more difficult answers. ;D

When each test is completed, there is an option to view the results, and to print them out in a class environment if required.  The printing is a bit crude, but useable.

No decimal values are used since that would be too difficult.  Neither are any negative numbers generated.

Division therefore requires a whole number and a remainder.  So for example: 3÷2 requires the answer 1r1. Or in other words, how many 2's are there in 3 .. answer 1 with 1 remaining.

As another example, the answer to 6÷2 can be given as just 3, or 3r0  :)

Zeros do appear, so watch out for questions like 0 - 0 =, 0 * 0 = , although division by zero is blocked. ;D

I think it's working OK, but as with all new software, you can't be sure what will happen when users start to feed data into it ..  :D

best wishes, :)

Graham
Tomorrow may be too late ..