April 25, 2024, 05:17:03 PM

News:

Own IWBasic 2.x ? -----> Get your free upgrade to 3.x now.........

Website Data Manager

Started by GWS, January 19, 2017, 07:27:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GWS

January 19, 2017, 07:27:09 AM Last Edit: January 26, 2017, 05:08:34 AM by GWS
Hi folks,

I think I've got this utility working after a bit of a struggle.  ::)

I don't think I could have got it working without the excellent debug facilities of Creative .. :)

This is a program to create a pretty secure Website data file to hold all the user's account details for up to 100 websites.  If you need more - start another data file.

All the stored data is encrypted - and is decrypted when you open the file again.

For further security, the zipped file can be placed on any USB memory stick in a suitable folder, and unzipped to run from the removable storage.

Because of the security issues, this is the only occasion I've not included the program source code.
If this was made public, it would make the encryption method obvious, and thus undermine the whole idea.

If any member of this site is interested, just pm or e-mail me, and I will send you the source code. :)

No system is completely safe from hackers, but I feel this approach is safe enough to be usable for any sites other than on-line banking.  I always keep that stuff external to my machine.

If you would like to try it, I have included a small example website data file and it's backup, together with the executable 'webman.exe'.

The password for this file is : 'creative' naturally ..  ;D.

You can unzip it either on your computer, or on a memory stick to run it from there.

I always have difficulty remembering user names and passwords - I've got them jotted down all over the place - so I'm hoping this program will help. ;D

Best wishes, :)

Graham

Tomorrow may be too late ..

GWS

Hi,

I've tried setting up my own Website file, and discovered a problem ..  ::)

One or two URL's were far longer than I'd expected. Like this one for instance  :

http://aqua.org/explore/baltimore/exhibits-experiences/north-atlantic-to-the-pacific

So I had to rearrange the editing window to accommodate longer URL's.

The change will have no effect on any saved file you might have tried.  It only means you can type in longer web addresses if you find one.

If you find one that still won't fit, all I can suggest is you enter the Home URL for the site, and navigate from there.  Hopefully you won't find any other awkward ones.

All the best, :)

Graham
Tomorrow may be too late ..