April 19, 2024, 02:10:39 PM

News:

IonicWind Snippit Manager 2.xx Released!  Install it on a memory stick and take it with you!  With or without IWBasic!

IWB working in Linux

Started by Andy, March 30, 2016, 10:59:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy

March 30, 2016, 10:59:47 PM Last Edit: March 31, 2016, 04:40:16 AM by Andy
It was an interesting idea,

Would IWB3.03 install and work in linux?

Answer - YES!

This is what I did:
1. In Ubuntu (Linux) I installed the Wine Windows program loader (well I already had it for previous testing purposes).

2. Copied IWB setup program to linux and ran it with Wine.
It installed correctly and placed a shortcut on the desktop (although it was shown as a text file i.e. not the IWB icon).

3. Ran IWB, and created a little openconsole program to print "Hello".
4. Compiled, and it ran just fine.
5. I decided to try and build my StringMap library file, I opened my stringmap project file okay.
6. Clicked on the StringMap source file so it would load in the editor - which it did.
7. Built my library file - no problems.
8. Copied my library file to the IWBDev / Libs folder.
9. Copied my include file to the IWBDev / inc folder.
10. Opened my StringMap calculator IWB file, compiled it (okay) and ran it.
11. The calculator uses the my lib file, my inc file and the windowssdk.inc file in order to be compiled and run (which it did correctly).

So this proves that:
You can build a library file, the linker works and so does including an inc file in your code.

Attached is a screenshot from Ubuntu 14.04 (32 bit) showing the editor open, and my calculator running - I moved the screens over so you could see Ubuntu, the editor and the running program.

What didn't work:
The drop down box for sub routines in the editor.
The scroll bar on the left when you select subroutines (Files / Subs / Includes).

However the editors search did work.

I have used Wine before to run .exe files created by IWB in Windows under Linux, but this is the first time I've installed IWB in Ubuntu, created .exe files and ran them.

This is just my initial test.

Interesting?

Thanks,
Andy.

:)
Day after day, day after day, we struck nor breath nor motion, as idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean.

Egil

That's good news Andy. Thanks!

Egil
Support Amateur Radio  -  Have a ham  for dinner!

AdrianFox

Thanks so much for that Andy and Egil.

That is so encouraging to hear.   As I am still just getting to grips with Linux and was fearful of trying something that might just affect the system badly,  I hadn't tried.   It sounds like the thing to do is install IWB on a USB stick and work from there.

Pouring with rain here today,  so I will get straight on to it. 

Thanks again guys.

Adrian Fox

Andy

March 31, 2016, 02:51:39 AM #3 Last Edit: March 31, 2016, 04:37:11 AM by Andy
Thanks for that Adrian and Egil,

What you need to know:

You MUST install Wine Windows Program Loader FIRST!

In Ubuntu, go to the software center and in the search box (top right) type in Wine.

Click on Wine Windows Program Loader and install (you will need your password to do so).

I then copied the IWB setup program from my other (windows) partion to the Downloads folder in Ubuntu so I could find it easily.

In Ubuntu, if you click on "Home" (left hand side, under files) you will see listed (right hand side) several folders such as Desktop, Documents, Downloads, Music etc.

Now, I installed IWB, but the question was "where is the Program Files folder"?

In Ubuntu, if (when you have clicked on "Home") you do a Ctrl / H, it will show you hidden folders - of which the .wine (dot wine) folder is located and in my case was hidden.

In the .wine folder there is another one called "drive_c", open that one and you will find the normal folders such as Program Files, Windows.

IWB can of course be found in this Program Files folder.

So I used the desktop icon to open IWB, built my .lib file, (built and saved in the Downloads folder, as that was where I copied my IWB source code too).

Copied the .lib file to:

Home \ .wine \ drive_c \ Program Files \ IWBDev \ libs   (and my include file to)
Home \ .wine \ drive_c \ Program Files \ IWBDev \ inc

Then I went back to IWB, opened my calculator.iwb file - compiled and that's it - done.

BTW Adrian - sorry It's raining (21 degrees here and Anne is going for a swim - sorry for that lol!)

Andy.

Day after day, day after day, we struck nor breath nor motion, as idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean.

Andy

April 01, 2016, 06:54:13 AM #4 Last Edit: April 01, 2016, 07:00:01 AM by Andy
I can now also confirm LarryMc's Custom button designer is also working in Linux.

It installed correctly, I navigated to the Program Files IWBDev folder during location when asked where IWB / EB was installed and the custom button include file was placed in the IWBDev / inc folder correctly.

It also created the correct desktop shortcut icon.

I then ran the button designer, copied the code into my calculator program as an "Exit" button (bottom left of the first attached screenshot) and set the code to exit when it was clicked.

It compiled correctly showing the button as it should appear and when clicked the program exited.

Perfect!

Larry, if you've ten minutes to spare (at some point) and can knock up a basic custom chart program, I can test that for you too (I'm sure it will work).

See attached screenshots,

Andy.

LarryMc

I'm trying to get all the outstanding issues fixed that I can for the IDE so I can issue a new release right now.  After I get that done then I do you one.
LarryMc
Larry McCaughn :)
Author of IWB+, Custom Button Designer library, Custom Chart Designer library, Snippet Manager, IWGrid control library, LM_Image control library

Andy

I can confirm the custom chart library program installed correctly, created the correct desktop, and I was able to create a template chart and paste it into a program.

The chart worked correctly.

Andy,