April 23, 2024, 12:08:12 PM

News:

IonicWind Snippit Manager 2.xx Released!  Install it on a memory stick and take it with you!  With or without IWBasic!

Recipe program

Started by billhsln, May 22, 2015, 07:21:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

billhsln

May 22, 2015, 07:21:31 PM Last Edit: May 28, 2015, 09:30:39 AM by billhsln
I was playing around with RichText and trying to help a friend out who wanted to keep track of her Recipes.  This is my second version of the program.  There are Samples (all the .TXT files) so you can see what I expect for a format.  Load one into the program while looking at it in Notepad.  Highlighted in Red is a key word that I would save, if you need more than one word, then connect them with underscore (_).  Like I said pull a recipe into the system (one of the Text files) and look at what the program does and match it against what the text file looks like.  I expect the Name of the Recipe as the first line.  I think the Help does kind of explain what I am doing.

Let me know what you think and what could be improved.  I will take criticism and use it to improve the program, if I can.

Bill

New version 2.1, added changes Bill-Bo found that needed to be fixed.
New version 2.2, minor mods to words on screen.
New version 2.3, removed Compress option, not really needed and added some sorts
When all else fails, get a bigger hammer.

Bill-Bo

Bill,

It's a neat program to display the recipes, but I have some issues with it. On the opening screen, if I try too type I just get beeps. The "Recipe" button does nothing. You cannot get out of the "Help" unless you load a recipe. Keywords is useless; just get popups. For example, click on OIL and you get:

xOILx
    79 73 76 I= 3

This happens to all of them; the word/words, their hex code, and number of characters.

The "Recipes" box will lets you select the last one used, but not one you left. Plus, it does not always works.

Sorry, but this is what I've found so-far. Running it right now.

Bill

billhsln

Fixed the help, now switches between Help and Back (returns to previous recipe).  Keywords are a drop down to allow you to pick an ingredient that you are looking for, then the Recipes drop down shows only those that have that ingredient in it.  I was testing the Keywords, which is why it was showing the xOILx..., removed (commented out).  Will modify program to load all recipes into drop down on initial load.  Will get this changed and loaded shortly.

Thanks,
Bill

billhsln

I have the program setfocus on the cb1 (under keywords), but when I press characters it beeps.  When I click in the box, it allows me to enter characters.  Not sure how that can be fixed.

Bill

Bill-Bo

May 23, 2015, 03:04:05 PM #4 Last Edit: May 23, 2015, 03:30:46 PM by Bill-Bo
Bill,

Sorry, back again. Checking out your 2.1. Loaded the "Oven Baked Tacos" recipe. No popups now on the keywords. The recipe displayed fine again. Pressed the down-arrow of the Recipes box ang got "0004 - Double Chocolate Coca Cola Cake." I do not know what that has to do with tacos. Pressed the Help. It came up okay, but when I pressed back, I got a popup:

(773)Problem with SELECT RecipeName Rlen
   [Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access Driver] Too few parameters.
   Expected 1.

Click the OK twice and the recipe disappears, and you have to reload.

After loading two or three recipes, the Recipes box will fill up with numerous entries.

Just letting you know. You're getting there.

One more thing. After writing a recipe text file, will it show for selection and store in the database?

Bill

billhsln

Tried to duplicate your problem and could not.  If you don't select any keywords then the Recipe you get is just next in line.  If you pick a keyword, then only those recipes with that ingredient in it will be shown.

The 'Load New Recipe' is set to allow you to select a TXT file and load it into the screen, if it looks ok then click on 'Save New Recipe'.

The main use of the program is to store Recipes and then allow you to select an ingredient (keyword) to see which Recipes use it.

Bill

Andy

Hi Bill,

Like the program, plus some interesting recipes in there too - will have a play around with it, but for now it's made me hungry!
:)

Thanks,
Andy.

Day after day, day after day, we struck nor breath nor motion, as idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean.

LarryMc

After we get settled back in at home I'll download it and put it on my wife's computer because she has recipes coming out her ears. I'll let her have a go at it.
LarryMc
Larry McCaughn :)
Author of IWB+, Custom Button Designer library, Custom Chart Designer library, Snippet Manager, IWGrid control library, LM_Image control library

billhsln

Make sure she takes a good look at the format that the recipes are in.  Will make it easier to allow the program to do what it does.  Fairly simple format, but must be followed to make it work right.

Bill

Bill-Bo

May 26, 2015, 03:17:23 PM #9 Last Edit: May 26, 2015, 03:18:56 PM by Bill-Bo
Bill,

I used my text editor to create a recipe for Framed Eggs. I put it in the directory and able to load and store it.
I know you're ignoring me, but still the problem with Help.

Bill

P.S. I'm on a 64-bit Win 8.1 laptop, if that makes any difference.

billhsln

May 26, 2015, 03:48:55 PM #10 Last Edit: May 26, 2015, 08:58:21 PM by billhsln
Who said I am ignoring you.  I said I could not duplicate the problem with help, it works for me.  I am also running Win 8.1 Pro 64-bit on a 12GB laptop.

Also, since the recipes come out in numeric order, I don't see how you can pull up #0009 - Oven Baked Tacos, and then press down arrow and get #0004 - Double Chocolate Coca Cola Cake.

In fact I just tried it again and I still can not duplicate the problem, can't fix it until I can get it to actually abort for me, so I can see what the problem is.

Also, I checked and The Tacos and the Double Chocolate have no ingredients in common, so I have no idea how they could be pulled up together.

Bill

Brian

Hi, Bill,

Glad I read your post before I downloaded 2.3, as I was going to have a mess with the Compress
option. At the moment, I am using jetcomp.exe to compress an mdb I am currently messing
with, and your method would be a whole lot handier than having to do it "offline"

Any gotchas with the Compress routine?

Brian

billhsln

May 28, 2015, 03:55:26 PM #12 Last Edit: May 28, 2015, 04:03:32 PM by billhsln
It seems that when the person I originally wrote this program for clicks on Compress, it removes all the data.  At least from talking with her it seems that way.  I will need to test this myself to see if it really does that.

I still left the compress in the code, just not using it.

Tested Compress code, does not delete the records for me.  Give it a try, I used it on the Pokemon Catalog program and I thought it worked ok, hopefully it still does.

Bill

Note: After talking to my friend, I am switching how this works completely.  Going to have her scan in the recipe and store as PDF.  Then have program prompt for file name, pull in the PDF to display it, then ask for Recipe Name and have place to enter keywords (ingredients).  Program will still search on Ingredients and display recipes based on the ingredients picked, will also have *ALL* option to show all recipes available.  Should have spoken with her directly, instead of sending E-Mails.  Now I know what she was looking for in the first place, so am switching gears.

Bill-Bo

Bill,

All is fine with version 2.3. Thanks.

Bill