April 25, 2024, 03:42:22 PM

News:

IonicWind Snippit Manager 2.xx Released!  Install it on a memory stick and take it with you!  With or without IWBasic!

Wont run in Win 8.1

Started by Bill-Bo, December 22, 2014, 09:19:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill-Bo

LarryMc,

I cannot get my IWB+ 2 (1.8) to run properly in Win 8.1. It will not recognize
compiler directories for either IWBasic 2.5 or the new 3.00.

Bill

LarryMc

I know LarryS had a lot of problems getting IWB to run in WIN8.1 but he said he finally got everything to where he could compile programs.

He said there is something about the directory the exe resides in and the directory it runs from not being the same directory.  Maybe when he sees this he'll elaborate.  In the mean time I'll see if I can find some info myself.
And I'll see if my wife will let me turn her new 2 in 1 laptop she watches movies on into a temporary testing machine.

This is an issue we HAVE to resolve.
LarryMc
Larry McCaughn :)
Author of IWB+, Custom Button Designer library, Custom Chart Designer library, Snippet Manager, IWGrid control library, LM_Image control library

LarryMc

I've done a preliminary look and the problem in this case is with IWB+ reading directory entries.
I'm wondering if it has something to do with the FileExist command. 
I'll have to do some testing.
LarryMc
Larry McCaughn :)
Author of IWB+, Custom Button Designer library, Custom Chart Designer library, Snippet Manager, IWGrid control library, LM_Image control library

Rock Ridge Farm (Larry)

It appears that in Win 8 as soon as you open a file - that dir becomes the current dir.
Also having lots of problems with the C++ code that tries to find where he program originates.
It returns the path in a buffer - but as soon as you try to mod that path it appears that there
are trash chars in the buffer as well. Appears to be a boundary issue.
Even char accesses such as thing[14] will return the char at that pos plus some trash.
I am now playing with short char as opposed to char. They seem different in the 64 bit Win 8.

Anyway - still working on it.

Larry

Bill-Bo

LarryMc,

Just downloaded and installed your new IWB+ 1.09.
Works great.

Bill

Rock Ridge Farm (Larry)

In Win8 it appears that pointers are processed a bit differently.
The problem I had finding the local .ini file turned out that the returned
value in a C++ routine would fail - it was due the lib function having been changed
to use a static value for a local buffer - strange thing is that the return value
could be displayed but not copied or modified. Ended up writing my own dirname function.

One strange issue down - now moving to another.

Lary