March 29, 2024, 01:30:41 AM

News:

IonicWind Snippit Manager 2.xx Released!  Install it on a memory stick and take it with you!  With or without IWBasic!

Comments

Started by LarryMc, October 14, 2014, 06:46:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LarryMc

Add any comments here.
LarryMc
Larry McCaughn :)
Author of IWB+, Custom Button Designer library, Custom Chart Designer library, Snippet Manager, IWGrid control library, LM_Image control library

Brian

Larry,

You could add a note about adding resources, like a manifest file, icons and the details obtained
by right-clicking on the exe and selecting Properties

Brian

PS: I do have a short list of these ID numbers, but they are at home, and can't
remember them off the top of my head (Can't remember most things, these days!)

LarryMc

Thanks for the reminder Brian.
LarryMc
Author of IWB+, Custom Button Designer library, Custom Chart Designer library, Snippet Manager, IWGrid control library, LM_Image control library

Bill-Bo

LarryMc,

Yeah, I've often wondered how people manage
multi-thousand-line programs.

Thanks for creating this tutorial. I have not
done a project for what I assumed was the
complexity. I'll study this and try a small one.

Thanks,

Bill

Egil

A great tutorial Larry!
Now I suddenly see what I did wrong when trying this with EB. I never used the word GLOBAL in front of my subs....

And since I am sure I'm going to do that same mistake again, wouldn't it be great to also be able to include the subs between the projectglobal "on"   and projectglobal "off" directives in a future version?

Support Amateur Radio  -  Have a ham  for dinner!

LarryMc

Glad to see it has helped someone Egil.

for the time being, you could overcome the forgetfulness ;) by putting global in front of all subs in a project and use the DECLARE EXTERN for every subroutine.
If you don't actually use it in another source file it won't generate a warning or a error.

What I am doing right now is collecting my thoughts on how to proceed next with the tutorial.
Things I want to cover:

• Various ways global variables can be used
  • Calling utility routines passing data via parameters
  • Calling utility routines passing data via global variables
  • done - Handling various type of constants in a PROJECT
  • Need to address resource files

• adding images
    • manifest files
    • menus
    • dialogs
    • other things that can be added to a resource file
LarryMc

GWS

I agree this is a great tutorial, by a master of the dark arts ..   :o

I don't think I'd ever have figured out the intricacies of multi-module programs myself.

Best wishes, :)

Graham
Tomorrow may be too late ..

Brian

Larry,

Rather like the Constants Topic - makes sense, really!

Brian

LarryMc

Quote from: Brian Pugh on October 16, 2014, 06:52:54 AM
Rather like the Constants Topic - makes sense, really!
That implies that the other sections don't make much sense. ;D ;D ;D

Got to go visit a surgeon today in relation to my emergency room visit a couple of weeks ago.

I'll try to get another section written tonite; but it is Thursday Nite Football
LarryMc

LarryMc

Got sidetracked.
Was helping two other forum members resolve some bugs.
As a result I had to build new releases for the IWComLib Library and the IWGrid control Library.
I'll work on the next portion of the tutorial tomorrow.
It will be covering the adding of  a bunch of various controls for use in setting up various scenarios in future section as I try to explain different ways of doing the same thing.
It should give users a pretty good idea of what they can do when I get through with those future section/examples
LarryMc

Andy

Larry,

Thank you very much!

In just an hour, I was able to re-create the tutorial project, then start building my own project.

Fantastic!

I was used to writting in COBOL many years ago, so not phased by many lines of code in a single file, but this add a whole new dimension with regards to programming for me.

Once again - thanks!!!!
Andy.
:)
Day after day, day after day, we struck nor breath nor motion, as idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean.

LarryMc

All the years I worked in the engineering department at a Gulf/Chevron/ChevronPhillips chemical plant I had to write a lot.
Whether it was specifications for multi-million dollar projects (for suppliers as well as contractors), personal evaluations of engineering subordinates, or OSHA compliance documents and such I prided myself on my typing ability, my spelling, my proper choice of words( to, two, too; there, their, they're; effect, affect; etc.), my paragraphing, and transition sentences.

Reading back over what I have written so far in this tutorial, to myself, I come across as a rambling, illiterate who can't spell or type.

Sometimes I look at what I am typing and I see complete, accurately spelled words that have absolutely no relation to or resemblance to what I thought I was typing.  Sometime it seems like my hands take off on their own and totally ignore what my brain is telling them to type.

It's not simply a matter of age.  Graham is several years older than I and when he writes an explanation of something it comes across as some smooth, easy flowing, and quite comfortable to read.

All I can do is apologized for the quality of my ramblings and hope that some of this is helping as much as I had hoped it would help.
LarryMc

Egil

October 19, 2014, 04:24:59 AM #12 Last Edit: October 19, 2014, 05:01:08 AM by Egil
Quote from: LarryMc on October 19, 2014, 01:04:23 AM
...Reading back over what I have written so far in this tutorial, to myself, I come across as a rambling, illiterate who can't spell or type.

You are wrong, you know.
I am norwegian, and my official language, and local dialect, is very different from the english language. And because of  this I always have to put a great effort into reading and writing english. And when it comes to speaking english, I am ashamed of myself....

I have absolutely no problems understanding anything you have written in these tutorials.
Support Amateur Radio  -  Have a ham  for dinner!

LarryMc

Egil
You are like Sapero was. If I didn't know better I would say your 1st language was English.

Thanks for the kind words.  At least that tells me my message is getting through in this tutorial.
LarryMc

LarryMc

This tutorial is being placed on hold for a while.

As stated elsewhere I'm going to be focusing on the rewrite of the Controls section of the IWBasic help file.
LarryMc