March 28, 2024, 08:09:02 PM

News:

Own IWBasic 2.x ? -----> Get your free upgrade to 3.x now.........

Help File Location

Started by W4GNS, March 14, 2014, 08:00:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

W4GNS

Folks
   I'm having a problem with highlight-command/pressF1/IWB flashes from pointer to refresh icon very fast and IWB stops responding and requires program restart.

I had lots of issues with 2.5 until I installed in into C:/  and all has been fine. Now I'm having issues, I just checked my installation in C:/IWBDev2.5 looking for the help file.  Before I holler bug can someone tell me where the help file is, I'm not seeing it in C:/IWBDev2.5 and I suspect this is the problem.

So far this is reproducible 9 times out of 10
Gary Scott-W4GNS

LarryMc

first, I need to know which option you selected when you ran the installation?
It would also help for a screen shot of your C:/IWBDev2.5/help folder.
LarryMc
Larry McCaughn :)
Author of IWB+, Custom Button Designer library, Custom Chart Designer library, Snippet Manager, IWGrid control library, LM_Image control library

LarryMc

Quote from: W4GNS on March 14, 2014, 08:00:51 PM
I had lots of issues with 2.5 until .....
I haven't seen you post anything about having issues in the past.
I need (and want) to know of all encountered problems.
Without knowing about them I can't possibly address them.
2.5 is a beta version which means it is intended to work the bugs out.

And I'm especially interested in anything that even remotely acts like a crash.

LarryMc
Author of IWB+, Custom Button Designer library, Custom Chart Designer library, Snippet Manager, IWGrid control library, LM_Image control library

W4GNS

Quote from: LarryMc on March 14, 2014, 08:30:35 PM
first, I need to know which option you selected when you ran the installation?
It would also help for a screen shot of your C:/IWBDev2.5/help folder.

There is no help folder in C:/IWBDev2.5 thus my question. But is is somewhere, as it works fine via the help menu. I have attached a screen shot of my directory.
Gary Scott-W4GNS

W4GNS

I should add LarryMC, I have had 2 strokes this year and I have lost a few brain cells as a result, so I don't jump pointing the finger at others, I assume I'm at fault. 
Gary Scott-W4GNS

W4GNS

March 14, 2014, 09:42:29 PM #5 Last Edit: March 14, 2014, 09:45:49 PM by W4GNS
At this moment in time, I'm having no problems, hight/F1 works as it should.   :-\

Edit Scratch that. I started 2.0 version, back on 2.5 beata still have the same problem
Gary Scott-W4GNS

W4GNS

2 more screenshots
Gary Scott-W4GNS

LarryMc

Quote from: W4GNS on March 14, 2014, 09:39:43 PM
I should add LarryMC, I have had 2 strokes this year and I have lost a few brain cells as a result, so I don't jump pointing the finger at others, I assume I'm at fault. 
It is perfectly okay with me if you assume the program at fault.
I have no problem in looking into it.
It could be something that is your fault only because I didn't make something clear.
It gives me a shot at maybe making an improvement so no one else has the same sort of problem.
It doesn't hurt my feelings(unless you tell me my program is a piece of crap  ;D)

Bottom line is I don't want you having problems regardless of whose fault it is.
Because of my bad heart I can't do much other than sit at this keyboard.
I will try to help in any way I can.
LarryMc

LarryMc

Okay
I need you to reinstall IWB2.5
At the beginning of the installer select the memory stick option.
Install it in C:\IWBDev2.5 (you can install it over the current installation)
After installing see if the C:\IWBDev2.5/help folder is there and that the help files are in there.
If it is there see  if your problem went away.

Either way, let me know.
LarryMc

W4GNS

I now have the help files in the proper directory, I have attached a screeshot.
  But I still have the same problem.
Gary Scott-W4GNS

LarryMc

okay, now I need you to post the .ini file that is located in the bin folder so I can look at it.
LarryMc

W4GNS

Here ya go
Gary Scott-W4GNS

LarryMc

I can't get it to download
email it to me and I'll look at it tomorrow.
LarryMc

LarryMc

Here's where I'm at.
1st - I have never in the 2+ years I've been working on the 2.5 version seen the problem you are describing
2. your help folder is where it is suppose to be(but that really shouldn't matter - see below)
3. your ini file is correct as far as the help is concerned(again, it really shouldn't matter)

The way my code is written it works like this:
When you select some text and hit F1 the iwb usersguide is searched first no matter what.
It is hard coded to look in one place and one place only. That's because the installer always puts the usersguide in the help folder that is a peer of the bin folder.  If the text isn't found then any User added help files are searched in the location specified in the ini file..
If no match is found a messagebox appears and says nothing could be found.
If a match is found then list appears for the user to select to open the help file to that entry.

What you are describing that you are seeing indicates to me it is starting the search but something is making it go off into never-never land.

I need additional info please sir.
1. what OS is running on your computer?
2. If your UAC enabled/disabled on your computer?
3. in the iwb2.5 About box what version is the IDE?
4. Can you search your c drive(including system files) for the following files:
   hhctrl.ocx
   hhctrlui.dll
   hhsetup.dll
   if you find them let me know where they are located.

I will continue to try things on my end.
But we all know it is hard to fix something when you can't duplicate it.

If anyone else has or has had this problem please let me know.

Sorry for the hassle Gary and I do appreciate your help with this.

LarryMc

W4GNS

No hassle whatsoever.

Windows7
UAC = Disabled
IWB 2.515b

hhctrl.ocx C:\Windows/System32
hhctrlui.dll Not Found
hhsetup.dll C:\Windows/System32

Should I do a uninstall and reinstall, or would you rather find the problem first?
Gary Scott-W4GNS

LarryMc

I'm going to create a test program for you to run and see what happens.
I'll post in a bit.
LarryMc

LarryMc

The attached contains an exe file.
Put the exe in the /help folder.
Run it and type in some search terms; both valid and invalid.
Let me know what happens.
LarryMc

W4GNS

Valid terms go directly to proper help file subject, or give options to display if more than 1  option. In valid searches produce the error message "No topics found, or search cancled"
Gary Scott-W4GNS

LarryMc

That is exactly what you should be seeing from inside the IDE also.

I guess the next step is for you to do an uninstall/delete the 2.5 folder/ and then reinstall with the memory stick option and let's see what happens.
LarryMc

W4GNS

Quote from: LarryMc on March 15, 2014, 12:23:07 PM
I guess the next step is for you to do an uninstall/delete the 2.5 folder/ and then reinstall with the memory stick option and let's see what happens.

Done, All works as advertised now!  ;D Thank you very much for your time Larry. 
Gary Scott-W4GNS

LarryMc

Just glad you're back in business.

Again, sorry for the hassle.

And remember, if anything else isn't working like you think it should let me know; don't wait.
LarryMc