April 25, 2024, 05:43:54 AM

News:

IonicWind Snippit Manager 2.xx Released!  Install it on a memory stick and take it with you!  With or without IWBasic!

Intermittent bug when selecting text

Started by Sam, January 22, 2014, 09:04:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sam

This is a tough one. I've tried hard to reproduce it on a consistent basis but it is best described as intermittent.

Frequently, when I select text using the keyboard (Shift + ArrowKey), and then type a key, nothing happens. What should happen, of course, is that the selected text is replaced by the key that I pressed. Upon a second key press, the selected text is replaced.

Here's what I did to reproduce the problem more times than not:

Copy a line of text with CTRL + DOWNARROW
Move to the beginning of the new line.
Move to a word in the line with CTRL + RIGHTARROW
Select the word with SHIFT + RIGHTARROW
Now type a character.
Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

I'm running Windows 7 64.
The IWBasic IDE is 2.514b

Please let me know if I can be of ant further assistance.

Sam

LarryMc

For me
Copy a line of text with CTRL + DOWNARROW
doesn't copy anything; it scrolls the page one line so I'm assuming you meant
Copy a line of text with SHFT + DOWNARROW
which does indeed copy a line

Got it to give me the same result you saw.
For me it appears that it consistently happens if I only move down one line and hit or miss if I move down more than one line.

I tried it with the current release version and it doesn't appear to have that problem.
The Scintilla editor is used in both versions.
But the one in 2.5beta is a different version that uses more features.

There are things I can change in the Scintilla editor and things I can't.
I'll look but I don't believe it is something I'll be able to fix.

It looks like it might have something to do with the clipboard because in that sequence of keystrokes you are selecting code twice.
LarryMc
Larry McCaughn :)
Author of IWB+, Custom Button Designer library, Custom Chart Designer library, Snippet Manager, IWGrid control library, LM_Image control library

Sam

January 23, 2014, 07:36:52 AM #2 Last Edit: January 23, 2014, 09:29:05 AM by tennisbum
Yep. It should have been SHIFT + DOWNARROW to select the line, CTRL + INS to copy and SHIFT + INS to past. Then move to the start of the new line. Sorry. Glad you were able to reproduce it though.

LarryMc

I went through the user configurable code I'm using in the editor and there is nothing that remotely resembles anything that might me causing that quirk.  The source code for the Scintilla editor is in C and I don't know C and I don't have a C compiler and I'm not interested in trying to even remotely learn C.

So, for now we'll just have to live with it.  Maybe after LarryS retires he will give it a look see but there are some more significant things he needs to tackle first so we can officially release IWB2.5

Sorry...
LarryMc
Larry McCaughn :)
Author of IWB+, Custom Button Designer library, Custom Chart Designer library, Snippet Manager, IWGrid control library, LM_Image control library