April 25, 2024, 07:35:06 AM

News:

IonicWind Snippit Manager 2.xx Released!  Install it on a memory stick and take it with you!  With or without IWBasic!

Compiler Suggestion

Started by Bruce Peaslee, July 22, 2013, 09:20:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bruce Peaslee

When you get a compiler error, the previously successful exe file is deleted. This makes it impossible to run the program again if you need to. Is it possible to keep the old exe?
Bruce Peaslee
"Born too loose."
iTired (There's a nap for that.)
Well, I headed for Las Vegas
Only made it out to Needles

LarryMc

Quote from: peaslee on July 22, 2013, 09:20:22 AM
When you get a compiler error, the previously successful exe file is deleted. This makes it impossible to run the program again if you need to. Is it possible to keep the old exe?
I reckon I can make it an IDE option.

Here's my thoughts.
The only way to know that your current source code will gen a good compile is to force you to recompile and the only way to do that is to delete the exe.

You could be working on a program that will compile but has a bug.
You introduce an error that won't compile.
You interrupt the coding session with a compile error.
You come back later and have a working exe file.
Did you correct the original bug?
Did you correct the compile error you introduced?
The only way to determine that is to recompile.
You do that and get one of the cryptic errors you get with a pointer error.
Now the question is; what portion of the code was I working on when I it quit compiling?

My memory is so bad that I normally won't leave code that won't at least compile.
But when I do I don't want and exe sitting there that might make me think everything is okay.

I know we all have different little quirks in the way we code.

When I get a stable version of my code I make a backup of my entire development folder for that program before I start on something new of any significance.

That way I always have a point to go back to that has a working exe and the matching source code.

But like I said, I'll add it as an option of the IDE. (I've added it to my list).

Thanks for the feedback.
LarryMc
Larry McCaughn :)
Author of IWB+, Custom Button Designer library, Custom Chart Designer library, Snippet Manager, IWGrid control library, LM_Image control library