April 20, 2024, 04:32:25 AM

News:

Own IWBasic 2.x ? -----> Get your free upgrade to 3.x now.........

Run, Compile, Compile and Run, Build Single

Started by Bill-Bo, May 02, 2013, 05:27:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill-Bo

LarryMac, or Billhsln

IWBasic's Build menu has Run, Compile, Compile and Run, Build Single, and Debug.
On a new program, the first three(3) are grayed, and the last two are black (can
be selected). My question is, "Why?"

First off, I suppose Run is grayed, because IWBasice is a compilter, not an
interperter. Second, why have the separate Compile, and Compile and Run? You
have both options in Build Single. Now the third, and to me the biggy. How do
you perform a step-by-step debug of a program that will not compile? Meaning,
if Debug does not work except on a compiled program compiled in the Debug mode,
and the program will not compile with errors in the first place, what's use of
having Debug?

I did a search of "compile" in Help. You did a great job on the Help file, but
I think it'd take me a week to read and figure out out you have on "compile."

I know this doesn't make sense, but it doesn't to me either.

Thanks,

Bill

LarryMc

To be honest your post really confused me at first.
The fact that you asked me OR Billhsln to explain it to you was the 1st thing I didn't understand.
2nd was that your post was in the regular IWB forums.
That initally made me unsure of which version of IWB you were talking about.

Two things finally helped me figure out which version you were talking about.
"Run, Compile, Compile and Run" since "Run" is used only in the 2.5 beta version.
And the fact that you mentioned the Help file rewrite.

So...
Your question concerns the 2.5 beta version.  As a result I moved your post to where I had asked any to be placed.
From the beta release announcement:
Post any questions/comments/bugs in the IWBasic > IWB 2.5 Suggestions section of the forums
I repost it here to help any other that may have missed that also.

The 1st of your issues I can solve pretty quick is with debug.
In the announcement I said:
QuoteThis beta version has no debugger functions and no compiler options features.

There is no code in the beta version for any debugging at all. All that is in place in the beta is the menu place holders for debug.
Since there is no debug code there is no flag for me to test for to control the enabling/disabling of the menu options.
Therefore I have just ignored it. I'm waiting on LarryS to write the debugger so that I can integrate it into the ide.

You posted:
QuoteFirst off, I suppose Run is grayed, because IWBasice is a compilter, not an
interperter.
From the table entry for RUN in the IDE Interface/Main Menu section, Build subsection of the new help file:
QuoteExecutes the exe file for the current project, if it exists. If there is no current project then the current single file application will be executed, if it exists..
I just revised it to say:
QuoteExecutes the exe file for the current project, if it exists. If there is no current project then the current single file application exe file will be executed, if it exists. Disabled if there is no current exe file.

You posted:
QuoteSecond, why have the separate Compile, and Compile and Run? You
have both options in Build Single.
From the table entry for COMPILE in the IDE Interface/Main Menu section, Build subsection of the new help file:
QuoteCompiles the currently selected  source file of the current project. Disabled if there is  no current project. ... This option has a corresponding Main ToolBar button  that works for both projects and single file applications. Note: The  button compiles all source files and the resource file for projects.

From the table entry for COMPILE AND RUN in the IDE Interface/Main Menu section, Build subsection of the new help file:
QuoteCompiles the current project and, if successful, executes the resulting exe file. If there is no current project then the current single file application will be compiled and executed, if it exists.  ... This option has a corresponding Main ToolBar button  that works for both projects and single file applications..
QuoteCompiles the current project and, if successful, executes the resulting exe file.  Disabled if there is  no current project.  ... This option has a corresponding Main ToolBar button that works for both projects and single file applications.

From the table entry for BUILD SINGLE in the IDE Interface/Main Menu section, Build subsection of the new help file:
QuoteCompiles the currently selected  source file. Disabled if there is a current project.  If successful the project is then relinked into an executable.
QuoteCompiles the currently selected source file. Disabled if there is a current project.

If you are still having a problem understanding what is happening when, then please ask again.
Things like this are one of the reasons why I wanted to put the beta version out there for people to use.

I appreciate your (and anyone elses) comments/questions/suggestions.

Working on this new IDE and help file for the last 17+ months has entailed trying to keep a lot of info straight in this old brain of mine.  And it does get overloaded sometimes.

Thanks again.
LarryMc
Larry McCaughn :)
Author of IWB+, Custom Button Designer library, Custom Chart Designer library, Snippet Manager, IWGrid control library, LM_Image control library

billhsln

Not sure why you would ask me, I do a lot in IWB, but am no expert, not even close.

However, on the Compile, Compile and run.  I some times only do the Compile, because the program was made to be run from a specific directory, which is not where it was compiled and saved in.   I have a program that takes it from where the source code is saved and moves it to where I run the program from.  There are other programs that are more generic and I can just Compile and Run them, like some of the games I have written.

As to debug, I have never used it and never taken the time to learn how to use it.  Would probably make me a better programmer if I could figure out how to use it, but have so many other things in the hopper, just don't have the time.

Hope that does not add more confusion.

Take care,
Bill

PS: To those reading this, the programmer at my work who used to do Visual FoxPro passed away, I am now stuck with trying to learn it (without manuals) and fixing or keeping his code up and running.  He was a great FoxPro guy, but there are things he did that I still don't understand and may never figure out.  Have tried to find a forum for FoxPro, so if some one out there knows a good way to learn FoxPro or a cheap book to learn it or a good online reference, I would appreciate it. Example, it took me 4 days to get a simple display employee info with update screen.  Still don't know why the first 3 versions did not work and not sure what makes the 4th version work.
When all else fails, get a bigger hammer.

Bill-Bo

LarryMac,

Thanks for taking the time for the long reply. I was going to start on converting
that IBasic program and thought I'd ask.

You've done a hell of a job. Keep up the great work.

Bill

Bill-Bo

May 03, 2013, 08:25:39 AM #4 Last Edit: May 03, 2013, 08:27:23 AM by Bill-Bo
billhsln,

Along with LarryMac, I had asked you, because, besides
myself, you two(2), Doc, and Larry once in awhile, you are the
only ones I see on the forum. Oh, yeah, and Aurel sometimes.

You're more expert than I.

Sorry to hear about your co-worker, and I do not know
FoxPro at all.

Tata,

Bill

billhsln

I just ask lots of questions when I get stuck, which I do fairly often.  I have received lots of help from Larry and other members here.  Also, I hope that when I ask a question it may help some one else out later.

My philosophy is the only dumb question is the one not asked.  If you don't know the answer and don't ask, you are out the information and maybe some one else who might be embarrassed to ask  will not get the information.  So, I ask, even if it might seem to be a stupid question, because it will help me and it might help some one else.

I do try to help out when I can.

Take care,
Bill
When all else fails, get a bigger hammer.