April 26, 2024, 05:30:52 PM

News:

IonicWind Snippit Manager 2.xx Released!  Install it on a memory stick and take it with you!  With or without IWBasic!

Info Only Update 02-27-2013

Started by LarryMc, February 27, 2013, 11:16:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LarryMc

I just finished what originally was going to be  the new How-TO section to the Help file.
My intent was to issue a new download for the Help file and the Demo program for the IDE at this time.
I've decided to delay that just a bit.

Graham and I had a discussion about converting CBasic files to IWbasic.
He agreed to write a little piece on some of the issues encountered.

Using what he wrote as a basis I'm now going to add three new sections to the Help file.
I already have a
Getting Started:Beginners section
I'm adding a new section called
Getting Started:Upgrading
At the bottom of the How-To section I'm adding:
Convert from CBasic / IBasic
Convert from EBasic / IBPro

I believe these sections are necessary because of all the exisiting code that exists for the older languages.
And it has been my experience that a lot of people throw up their hands when they initially try to run one of the older programs, as is, and they encounter all the error messages.

With the how-to sections my intent will be to identify the necessary simple changes that need to be made in order to make these older programs run in IWBasic.

I figure this effort will only take a few additional days so maybe by Monday I'll be through.
LarryMc
Larry McCaughn :)
Author of IWB+, Custom Button Designer library, Custom Chart Designer library, Snippet Manager, IWGrid control library, LM_Image control library

Doc

That sounds like a really great idea!
With so much info scattered around here and there, much of it is hard to find and/or not all that useful. This will definitely put all of the required information under the same umbrella where it will be a huge help to everyone. Good job folks. :)

-Doc-