March 29, 2024, 09:35:24 AM

News:

IonicWind Snippit Manager 2.xx Released!  Install it on a memory stick and take it with you!  With or without IWBasic!

Adding multiple resources?

Started by Doc, November 20, 2012, 09:59:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doc

Thought I'd mention one thing for you folks to consider when ever it becomes convenient...
How about the ability to add several resources of the same type, all at the same time?

Many years ago using one of the predecessor products to IWB, I did a browser based project where I had around 250-ish HTML and/or images embedded as resources and for such a project, the "one -at-a-time" method is not only quite difficult and time consuming, but it adds the possibility of duplicating resource ID's, etc.

Now keep in mind that I -did not- end up having to do them all individually because I purchased an inexpensive little utility application that Jerry Muelver built, allowing me to add as many as I wanted. Since then, I've always wished that the same capability would have been added as a standard feature so I thought I'd at least mention it.

-Doc-

LarryMc

I guess I've never thought about that because I just edit the rc file in notepad anddo it with cut and paste.

No promises but I will add it to my things to look in to.
The plus is that I already have an idea of how to go about it.
The limitation is that all the files have to be in the same folder (the same as the normal opening of mltiple files at one tim)
You pick the ones you want in a 'file open' dialog.
Whatever id you choose for the 1st one would be followed by ids starting with the designated ID.

It might require a 2nd, different dialog to make it work clean.  I'll be able to tell when I look into my source for what I already have.
And it has to be restricted only to resource types that use the file dialog.

Right now, as I'm  typing, I'm 90% sure it will get done.

Thanks for the suggestion.
LarryMc
Larry McCaughn :)
Author of IWB+, Custom Button Designer library, Custom Chart Designer library, Snippet Manager, IWGrid control library, LM_Image control library

Doc

QuoteI guess I've never thought about that because I just edit the rc file in notepad anddo it with cut and paste.

Yepper, I understand and have done the same (to a much smaller degree), but I'm thinking that it would be much simpler to use the regular interface if possible.

QuoteRight now, as I'm  typing, I'm 90% sure it will get done.

Cool! It's not really a big issue, but that sure sounds great!

-Doc-

LarryMc

Had a little free time today (some kids and grandkids still here)
I can now successfully select multiple image resources and add them in one step to a projects resource file.

One more item to address.  Right now it uses the default prefixes I have assigned for each resource type.
I need to change it to check to see if the user has typed a different prefix in and use it for all the additions.
Maybe by monday I'll have an update  so the new feature can be played with.
LarryMc
Larry McCaughn :)
Author of IWB+, Custom Button Designer library, Custom Chart Designer library, Snippet Manager, IWGrid control library, LM_Image control library