April 18, 2024, 12:50:39 PM

News:

IonicWind Snippit Manager 2.xx Released!  Install it on a memory stick and take it with you!  With or without IWBasic!

IDE AutoComplete Properties and Methods for Instances

Started by DrT, September 29, 2012, 08:47:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DrT

This may have already been proposed and/or implemented, but it would be nice if autocomplete worked with class definitions.  For example, typing the instance name and then the dot operator invokes autocomplete with a list of relevant properties and methods.

LarryMc

Not sure of how effectively it could be coded.
First I would have to search all the source files and include files to identify all the possible classes that could be used.
Then I would have to search all the files to find every variable that was defined as an instance of a class.
Then every time the user types a letter I would need to check to see if they are typing a class variable.
I would also have to check to see if a user was creating a new class to update the list.
I would also have to check each time a use typed something to see if they were typing inside a class definition and changing it.

From past experience I don't know if I can do all that additional checking each time a character is typed without slowing down the editing/updating process significantly.

The new IDE already has autocompletion prompting for all the built in commands but not for any commands/functions the user creates.

But I will look into it after I get through with the rewrite  of the help file and the implementation of the code for the debugger.

Thanks for the suggestion.
LarryMc
Larry McCaughn :)
Author of IWB+, Custom Button Designer library, Custom Chart Designer library, Snippet Manager, IWGrid control library, LM_Image control library