March 28, 2024, 05:36:02 AM

News:

IonicWind Snippit Manager 2.xx Released!  Install it on a memory stick and take it with you!  With or without IWBasic!

User Guide to Creative Basic

Started by GWS, June 03, 2011, 07:33:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GWS

Hi,

It's been a while since my attempt at a Creative Basic user guide was posted, and it may have slid so far down the posts as to have got lost to all but determined searchers ..  ::)

So for any newish users here's it's location.  When I add the next episode, that's where it will be ..  ;D

http://www.ionicwind.com/forums/index.php?topic=3519.0

Creative is still a highly useable tool, and works fine in Win 7.  Give it a try.

best wishes, :)

Graham

Tomorrow may be too late ..

LarryMc

Graham,
I put a sticky on your topic to push it to the top

LarryMc
LarryMc
Larry McCaughn :)
Author of IWB+, Custom Button Designer library, Custom Chart Designer library, Snippet Manager, IWGrid control library, LM_Image control library

GWS

GWS

Part 8 of the User Guide is progressing.  It deals with Input / Output, and is a huge subject.

I've almost done the Input side - just got direct input from the keyboard, mouse and joystick to finish - and of course I shall need some nice example programs to demonstrate it all ..  :o

Then there's the little matter of output - phew !  ::)

I'm up to nearly 30 pages already, and I haven't started on Output yet.

I'm wondering if I should split it into Part 8 for Input, and Part 9 for Output.

That way I might avoid my pdf program blowing up ..  ::)

all the best, :)

Graham

GWS

June 19, 2012, 07:51:25 AM #4 Last Edit: June 21, 2012, 02:09:19 AM by GWS
Hi folks,

Here's the 8th section of my user guide - Input/Output - Part 1.

I've had to split the I/O subject  'cos it's so large.  Part 2 will deal with file I/O. ::)

I've also had to separate the InOut_Part1.pdf document, from some of the example programs, because the examples require graphics and sound files to function properly.

There is a limit on uploadable file sizes, so I'm also having to post the pdf document as a separate .zip.
The program examples are in a separate .zip file InOut_Examples.zip.

Each of the examples can be unzipped into their own folders, and should then work OK.

Graham

GWS

.. and here are the InOut Example programs ..  :)

Graham

tbohon

Graham this just keeps gettin' gooder and gooder ... thanks for all the work, it's a really neat product.

Tom
"If you lead your life the right way, the karma will take care of itself ... the dreams will come to you."  -- Randy Pausch, PhD (1961-2008)

LarryMc

Quote from: tbohon on June 20, 2012, 06:24:33 PM
Graham this just keeps gettin' gooder and gooder ... thanks for all the work, it's a really neat product.

Tom
I totally agree!
LarryMc
Author of IWB+, Custom Button Designer library, Custom Chart Designer library, Snippet Manager, IWGrid control library, LM_Image control library

GWS

Thanks guys .. glad you like it.  :)

I try to incorporate all the large number of contributions made by many folk over the years - many thanks to them.

Even for me, it makes a useful reference to techniques I tend to forget these days - my memory is not what it was. ::)

The next part - reading and writing data to files - will stretch me a bit.  I haven't used those facilities for a while, so I've got some catching up to do.

Graham

GWS

Found a page layout error on Page 30 - fixed in re-posted InOut_Pdf.zip above ..

Sorry about that.  :)

Graham

GWS

Hi folks,

Here's the second section of Part 8 (Input/Output).

This one deals with directories and files - because the first section got too big .. ::)

It's getting a bit complicated 'cos this section and the first section of Part 8 are now separate from Parts 1 to 7, which are in the sticky Creative User Guide area.  Maybe Larry could move them all under the same banner ..  :)

This second part deals with writing and reading files of one kind or another to hard disk.

It's not a subject I find wonderfully exciting - but when you need to do it, I hope these notes may help. :)

Anyway, the .zip file is attached ..

Graham

LarryMc

QuoteMaybe Larry could move them all under the same banner .. 
Where you want me to move it to?
To the tail end of the Creative User Guide thread?
LarryMc

Bill-Bo

January 23, 2013, 04:45:55 PM #12 Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 04:51:42 PM by Bill-Bo
Graham,

I sure am glad you have start again on the guide. It sure does look great!!!

I'm running on a Win 7 64-bit HP laptop. No problems, yet.

BTW, how many more sections do you plan??

Bill

GWS

January 23, 2013, 06:52:07 PM #13 Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 07:17:29 PM by GWS
Hi folks,

Larry .. Yep, the two Input/Output sections probably fit best there - I think that was the sticky thread ..  :)
My fault not being tidy where I post  ::)

Bill .. Well if I use Alyce's Liberty Basic Companion as a guide (wow - and what a lot of work went into that :)) .. there are still lots of things to talk about ..

GUI Programming
Graphics
2D and Sprites
Games programming
3D (almost too difficult to contemplate  ::))
Windows Controls
Using DLLs and APIs (I'm not an expert on this subject)
Menus and Icons
Modifying Windows and Controls (Sizing, regions, transparency)
GDI programming
Multimedia (phew that's a hard one)
Maths and Simulation techniques (another huge area)
Internet programming (not very confident about this either)
Goodies and Oldies (some contributions from users in the past)
Applications Reviews - a showcase.

Basic is a great language - you can do so much with it.

There's enough there to keep me going for quite a while.

I find it sort of therapeutic doing something creative - been a bit down since my wife had to go into a nursing home. Depression is a terrible thing. :(

Anyway, I'll press on - have to get going with a small task Larry's given me  ;D

Graham

aurelCB

QuoteGoodies and Oldies (some contributions from users in the past)
Applications Reviews - a showcase.

I am interested for this stuff and i think that many visitors will be to..

GWS

Hi Aurel .. thanks, I hope folk will find it interesting. :)

It takes me a while to do though.

One thing I also find interesting, is that discussions on other forums are still talking about installing Creative in Win7 and 8 ..  ;D  Nice to think the old program still has some attractions.  And why not?

Graham

Doc

The other evening I put together a little browser based app in Creative, just to display all of your PDF files Graham. In fact, I was planning on embedding them as resource files to make a complete e-book. All went well and it was working perfectly up until I allowed Adobe to do an upgrade to the Reader application and from that point on, it would no longer read or display the embedded PDF files. :(

I know that they were being embedded properly because the file size of the executable grew larger and larger... I also know that my code was correct because it was working before the Adobe upgrade. Rather than making it "pretty" and adding a few extra features, I finally got ticked out and tossed the source file.

Oh well, I tried... and appreciate your work on the programming guide, Graham.

-Doc-

GWS

Ooh! that's a brave approach Doc .. :)  I can't imagine how you did that via a program.

Did you read in each .pdf file Parts 1 to 8 in some way ?

I did notice that the latest version of the program I use to create the .pdfs  (PagePlus 6) now has an e-book output facility.  I'll have to read how to use it ..  ;D

Graham

LarryMc

Graham
If you would like I could use the program I use to create IWBasic's and my other help files to publish your efforts if you supplied me with the text to your pdfs.
The program I use creates chm, pdf, e-book, and web based files from the same source.
Might take me a little while to get it done though. ;)
LarryMc

Doc

Quote from: GWS on January 25, 2013, 10:09:17 AM
Ooh! that's a brave approach Doc .. :)  I can't imagine how you did that via a program.

Did you read in each .pdf file Parts 1 to 8 in some way ?

I did notice that the latest version of the program I use to create the .pdfs  (PagePlus 6) now has an e-book output facility.  I'll have to read how to use it ..  ;D

Graham

Yes sir... I embedded them as resource files, then based on a button click event, pointed the browser to the proper embedded PDF file. I'll try to put together a simple sample for you. (We need that as a resource here at the forums anyway, just in case someone else wants to build something like this)

-Doc-

AdrianFox

Thanks for these additional guides and examples... extremely useful and helpful.  Thanks for all your hard work on this.
:)
Adrian Fox

Doc

I've attached a really simple example of how to use embedded resource files. Particularly for HTML and/or PDF files.
As mentioned above, using the PDF's were working just fine (and always have) up until I did the latest update of Adobe Reader. You might go ahead and attempt swapping the PDF file instead of the HTML version I've used, just to see if it will work on your end.

As it stands, the exe file included in the zip file should work from any place on your computer... just so you can see that the html is really embedded. I've forgotten just how to include HTML files that point to images that are also embedded, but will see if I can locate one of my old projects that use that feature.

Holler if you need help.
-Doc-

GWS

Larry,

Thanks for the offer, but I think it might prove a bit difficult. :)

The PagePlus program 'source' files are .ppp (proprietary), and include all the pictures, tables and code panels internally.
Just finding the pictures I used would take ages to track down.

It also auto-generates the pdf indexes - very clever for a $50 program.

I'll press on just creating the pdfs initially, but I will investigate the e-book facility ..

Doc,  .. great, I'd be interested how you do these things ..  :)

Adrian, .. glad you like them.  It's a lovely language and I wanted a suitably pretty guide for users.
You never know, more folk might be tempted to try it ..  :)

Graham

GWS

Thanks Doc .. you just beat me to the post  ;D

I'll take a look.

Graham

aurelCB

Hmmm
Doc ...
Do you can cheat Adobe by binding PDF files to exe instead adding is as embeded resource.
Did you try something like this?