March 28, 2024, 01:00:43 PM

News:

IonicWind Snippit Manager 2.xx Released!  Install it on a memory stick and take it with you!  With or without IWBasic!

User Guide to Creative Basic

Started by GWS, June 03, 2011, 07:33:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doc

Hey Aurel!
...no sir, I had (have) no idea that anything such can be done. Do you have a link that explains the feature?

Since the way back days of this language, I've used embedded resources like this, without any problems... well, until the latest Adobe update that is.  ;)

-Doc-

aurelCB

Doc
You say that you can embed as resource PDF file ,right?
But in your example i see only html file added as resource ,right?

I mean bind pdf file on the end of exe like binary file.
Similar thing i do when i add source code to Aurel Basic runtime exe...

Doc

Okay, I've attached another zip file that contains source file and executable's for an embedded HTML file as well as an embedded PDF file. The HTML version runs just fine, but the PDF version does not. Maybe someone can try them out to see what happens on a different machine.

I really do believe that the issue is with Adobe, possibly some kind of security changes that they made in the last update... it was working prior to that.

-Doc-

aurelCB

Doc
Something is strange and it looks that is not only problem in Adobe because
i use Foxit pdf reader and he also complain about security warning on my xp machine.
Also xp say that your PDFexe is not valid win32 aplication...

Anyway i am not sure how you mean to open pdf file in browser window ,right?  ???

Brian

January 26, 2013, 01:43:47 PM #29 Last Edit: January 26, 2013, 01:45:27 PM by Brian Pugh
Hi,

This works in IWB. Click in the window after it has loaded, and make sure you have
a look at the PDF's Properties and Unblock it (if it is blocked, of course)

Brian

Doc

Thanks Brian!
I had to make a small adjustment on my end to get your IWB code to compile, embedding the PDF sample:
BROWSECMD wb,@NAVIGATE,"res://"+GETSTARTPATH+"EmbeddedPDF.exe/SimpleSample.pdf"

...made no difference on the end results though. I still have troubles on this end using either XP or Windows 8, even using the IWB version. See the attached image.

-Doc-

Doc

Out of curiosity Brian, when was the last time you updated the Adobe Reader application... and what version of Windows are you using?

-Doc-

LarryMc

win7 x64 machine

cbasic
html one works
pdf one gets error message saying not connected to internet blah, blah. or name wrong but everything looks right
LarryMc
Larry McCaughn :)
Author of IWB+, Custom Button Designer library, Custom Chart Designer library, Snippet Manager, IWGrid control library, LM_Image control library

Doc

Quote from: LarryMc on January 26, 2013, 03:01:29 PM
win7 x64 machine

cbasic
html one works
pdf one gets error message saying not connected to internet blah, blah. or name wrong but everything looks right

That is too strange, LarryMc...
Three evenings ago when I first started working on it, things were working just fine on the Windows XP box I was using at the time. It just stopped working altogether, even on this Win 8 box (that I finally got working). Exactly the same problem on both systems now, plus your Win 7 machine.

<scratching head> I'm stumped </scratching head >

-Doc-

Brian

Doc,

I'm on Win XP SP3, and I use the Foxit Reader, not the bloated Adobe Reader!

Brian

Brian

Doc,

This one works even better. Don't know where the original code came from, but only
needed minor adjustments for IWB. And it displays the Foxit window inside the IWB
frame for me - don't know about Adobe, though

Brian

Doc

January 27, 2013, 05:40:50 PM #36 Last Edit: January 27, 2013, 05:44:44 PM by Doc
Quote from: Brian Pugh on January 27, 2013, 06:13:45 AM
Doc,

This one works even better. Don't know where the original code came from, but only
needed minor adjustments for IWB. And it displays the Foxit window inside the IWB
frame for me - don't know about Adobe, though

Brian

Hey Brian,
Just to clarify and make sure we are on the same page after looking at your code, displaying the PDF file from within the browser window, when pointed to a file on the hard drive, hasn't been the problem for me. That works well.

The problem I'm having is when trying to display the same file once it has been embedded directly into the executable. You're saying that you are able to make the second scenario work?

Edit to add: I used to use FoxIt all the time and actually prefer it, so I went ahead and got rid of the Adobe beast and put it on this Windows 8 machine. Still does not make a difference in my results, so maybe the problem is cause by an update to my security software.

-Doc-

Brian

Doc,

Do you mean to embed a pdf/html as a resource? If so, I'll have a go...

Brian

Doc

Yes Sir... that's what is causing the troubles.
Was working, is not now.

Of course this is really not a big deal... I don't have an actual need for it at present. I was just gonna build a decent interface and wrap up all of Graham's PDF's into a single file. That's what started this whole conversation and exercise I think.

-Doc-