April 20, 2024, 05:36:00 AM

News:

IonicWind Snippit Manager 2.xx Released!  Install it on a memory stick and take it with you!  With or without IWBasic!

IWB+ Progress Updates

Started by LarryMc, October 06, 2010, 04:36:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LarryMc

Quote from: Logman on July 06, 2011, 06:35:49 AM
The price is right, but in light of the Norton 5.0 update, does your IWB+ use the same software anti-piracy protection as IWBasic 2.0?
No, it is not the same protection scheme.
To be honest, I had purchased the same protection package as LarryS (before I knew he was going to use it).  It looked good on paper.  But, based upon the various issues that arose with it I abandoned that notion pretty quick.  You should have have no anti-piracy protection issues with IWB+ when I release it.

LarryMc
LarryMc
Larry McCaughn :)
Author of IWB+, Custom Button Designer library, Custom Chart Designer library, Snippet Manager, IWGrid control library, LM_Image control library

Logman

LarryMc:

That's great news. On that basis I'm looking forward to the release.

Thanks,

Logman  :)
Education is what you get when you read the fine print.<br />Experience is what you get when you don't!

LarryMc

While making revisions for new features a User expressed a desire to install IWB+ on a memory stick so that it could be run on any available computer.  The current code and the installer don't properly support that.  Also, the current code and installer don't support IWBasic 2.5's non-use of the registry.
This is going to cause a delay in the new release of IWB+.  I'm almost through with updating the help file for the current revisions.
When I finish that I will make the necessary revisions to the IWB+ code and its installer to support installing on a memory stick and for use with IWB2.5.
All this will just be a free upgrade.
The same sort of revisions will be made to the Chart Designer, Button Designer, and the rest of my creations in the future.
LarryMc
Author of IWB+, Custom Button Designer library, Custom Chart Designer library, Snippet Manager, IWGrid control library, LM_Image control library

LarryMc

I'm currently making modifications to both the IWB+ and its installer.

As a memory jogger:
IWB+ was written for use with IWBasic 2.0
IWBasic 2.0 uses the registry and IWB+ looks in the registry to locate IWBasic's compiler when the User selects a compile function.
IWBasic2.5 doesn't use the registry therefore the User will have to tell IWB+ where the compiler is located.
My other creations (Chart Designer, Button Designer, etc) are setup the same way.

I was going to try to do everything I needed to do in one installer.
Having an installer that asks questions during the install process and reconfigures itself based upon the User's responses is rather complicated.  I spent a couple of months on the one for the IWBasic2.5 beta version.  And since I don't build installers all the time I have to relearn the installer commands and coding almost from scratch.

I decided that to do that for all my creations was going to be a mess I really didn't won't to deal with.

So, eventually, all my install packages will come with two installers;
one for installing in the Program Files folder(with the restrictions that are placed on it that forces the scattering of bits and pieces of the apps around the computer):
and one I call the "memory stick" version (which basically allows  everything to be in one place; either on an actual memory stick or a single folder on the hard disk other than ProgramFiles.

To support the installation on an actual memory stick I'm going to read the serial number of the C drive hard disk and store that in the ini file so I can do a comparison to see if a memory stick is in a different computer than the last time IWB+ was run.  I will also see if any of the stored paths have changed and/or exist and adjust as necessary.

I will also store the compiler location .  If the stored path for the compiler is no longer there I'll open a dialog to let the User tell me if they want to forget the compiler, use the pre iwbasic2.5 version (which I can find in the registry) or the IWB2.5 version (which the User will have to tell me where it is installed since it doesn't use the registry.)

When everything gets done you'll be able to put IWBasic2.5 and all my creations on a single memory stick and carry it anywhere.
LarryMc

LarryMc

Finished the significant modification to enable IWB+ to have dual installers and support both IWBasic 2.0 and 2.5.
Now starting the update of the IWB+ help file to reflect changes.
New version will be released when I get through with help file.
LarryMc