April 26, 2024, 09:23:56 PM

News:

Own IWBasic 2.x ? -----> Get your free upgrade to 3.x now.........

IWB+ Progress Updates

Started by LarryMc, October 06, 2010, 04:36:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LarryMc

Completed the code to allow the user to attach a browser to a window in the properties window.
Added the browser messages to the default set for windows.

Completed the code to allow the user to select an icon for a window/dialog.

Fixed a major flaw in how I was creating global variables.

Only 2 more items on my bugs liist that have to be done before a pssible release.
(I may find more when I start on the help file)

Lines of code - 27,790+

LarryMc
Larry McCaughn :)
Author of IWB+, Custom Button Designer library, Custom Chart Designer library, Snippet Manager, IWGrid control library, LM_Image control library

Logman

Larry:

Quick question. I have your initial version of Visual Designer from the old EBasic days. I'd like to upgrade to the current IWBasic version.

Is the IWBasic version a complete new purchase or is there an upgrade path from the older version?

Also, on the Ionic Wind website, is the version of Visual Designer being offered there the latest version? And do we download bug-fixed updates from that location and install or would we get current updates from somewhere else?

Thanks,
Logman
Education is what you get when you read the fine print.<br />Experience is what you get when you don't!

LarryMc

The "current" version of the Visual Designer as advertised on the main site pages is for IWBasic 1.8 / EBasic 1.737 and is not compatible with IWBasic 2.x.

Most people that currently have the Visual Designer did not pay me for it. It was given to them free because I felt bad that they had given the previous owner "up-front" money and never got what they thought they paid for.

Obviously, those people are not getting any sort of " deal" when I release the Designer for IWB 2.x.

For those that purchased the current designer this disclaimer  was/is right above the purchase button:
QuoteNOTICE: This version will be updated only for bug fixes; there will be no new features added. Purchase of this version does not come with any entitlement/discount toward the release of Visual Designer for IWBasic II (scheduled for 1st Qtr 2011)..

So, to answer your question directly, their will be NO "DEALS" when I release the new version (with all the new features) specifically for IWB 2.x .

Also, back when I was in the middle of writing the current Designer, I got to a point that I knew I needed to backup and make structural changes in order to implement all the features I had in mind.  I polled the interested parties at the time and no one wanted me to backup.  All wanted me to keep going and get the designer released.

As a result, the new designer, when released, will not be backward compatible with projects created with the current version.  There isn't a large enough user base to warrant all the extra effort.

LarryMc
LarryMc
Author of IWB+, Custom Button Designer library, Custom Chart Designer library, Snippet Manager, IWGrid control library, LM_Image control library

Logman

Larry:

That's what I wanted to know. There will be a version compatable with IWBasic 2.0 and it will be coming soon.

That is the version I'll need.

Thanks,

Logman
Education is what you get when you read the fine print.<br />Experience is what you get when you don't!

LarryMc

A mini announcement of sorts.
The new name for the visual designer for IWBasic 2.x will  be.....

drumroll.................

IWB+

below is the simple logo I'm going to use

(In the next day or so I will move this topic to a new, IWB+ board here)

LarryMc
LarryMc

Rock Ridge Farm (Larry)

AdrianFox

Will almost be worth the price just for the new logo!   ;D ;D ;D ;D
Adrian Fox

billhsln

You have chosen wisely.   :) :) :)

Bill
When all else fails, get a bigger hammer.

LarryMc

Got a little bit of work done on the help file.

While doing that I discovered some program flaws.
In the course of fixing those I discovered several flaws with the inner action between the compiler and the debugger.

Sapero, in his usual fashion, knocked out the fixes pretty quickly. 
However, being 1/2 way around the world from each other there is a lag in the process.
Plus my naps have to be tossed in there.

I'm actually working on adding two small features due to our recent debug efforts.

My compiler/linker output page has always had the feature of clicking on an error line and the designer going to the code with the error.

But it was missing a way to copy the text to the clipboard like can be done in the IDE; nor was there a means to print it out.

So, I've added a toolbar to the output window with a button for copying and one for printing.
I'm now starting on the code for my scheme to accomplish that.

When I get through with this I'll be back on the help file.

LarryMc
LarryMc

LarryMc

Well, that was quick.  Finished that in less that 50 minutes.  Was easier that I thought it was going to be.

Okay, tomorrow I get a fresh start back on the help file.

LarryMc
LarryMc

LarryMc

Just had another 'feature' idea.
It comes from what I setup and use for the designer itself.

Under the Project menu I'm going to add a 'To-Do' List option .

Selecting the menu option will open a text file for the user to use to keep track of things that need to be done.

Each project will have it's own todo file created automatically when the project is created.

Based upon how easy the last feature was to add I should be able to finish this off today without any problem.

LarryMc
LarryMc

LarryMc

It's amazing how many little things you can find wrong with a complex program when you start writing a detailed help file for it.

Nothing serious but just little things that don't work quite like I intended. :D

How long before I'm finished....Let's see......This is ..... 2011. ;D

LarryMc
LarryMc

LarryMc

It appears I've taken a step backwards.  I was working on the part of the help file that describes adding child windows and dialogs.  I hadn't visited this specific area of IWB+ in some time.

It generates the correct code but the working display of the forms is all haywire.  I have no idea right now of what I did to screw it up so bad; therefore I have no idea how long it is going to take me to figure it out.

I think I've created a monster that has it in for me! ;)

LarryMc
LarryMc

LarryMc

Well, what appeared as a real mess at first glance turned out to not be quite so bad.
I focused on one and only one issue at a time and wound up fixing 6 distinct issues and now everything appears to be back to normal.

So, back to the help file.

LarryMc
LarryMc

LarryMc

Well, it's been a while since I've posted anything in this section.

Since I have finished the first pass of the help file I thought I would work on the installer for a while.

It's almost scary that I can see the light at the end of the tunnel.
I just hope it's not a train! :D

LarryMc
LarryMc

billhsln

I am sorry, due to the current political climate, the light at the end of the tunnel has been temporarily turned off.  Please continue on carefully and remember, those who are in the government are here to help....... ;D ;) ;D

Bill
When all else fails, get a bigger hammer.

LarryMc

or Obama gave the light to the unions as part of the stimulus. :o

are more likely is was taken away by the healthcare bill that Pelosi pushed through that noone read. :'(

LarryMc
LarryMc

LarryMc

On a more serious note I have finished the installer and successfully installed it on my computer.
I will now give it to two other individuals to playwith/test while I install it on my wife's laptop (when she isn't looking).

I also need to go through doing everything with it (on her laptop) just to make sure everything works on a pc other than mine.

I will also start working on the announcement for the forums and the update for the main web pages.

And I've got the 1st part of my pricing plan resolved but still haven't decided on the 2nd part.
"The future price will be $1,799.95 (or up) "<-------1st part :o
but "If you hurry, you can buy it in my lifetime for only $xx.xx " <------2nd part
;D ;D
That kind of marketing works for other people, why not me.
;D ;D

LarryMc
LarryMc

whitenite1

Larry..

QuoteAnd I've got the 1st part of my pricing plan resolved but still haven't decided on the 2nd part.
"The future price will be $1,799.95 (or up) "<-------1st part Shocked
but "If you hurry, you can buy it in my lifetime for only $xx.xx " <------2nd part

Sounds about right, to me..

LarryMc

Well, I putting the finishing touches on everything.  I expect to release IWB+ before the end of next week.

LarryMc
LarryMc

LarryMc

BTW, I've decided on a price, $39.95 USD.
No special sales, no discounts, no trading for livestock.

$39.95 period.

Based upon what people paid in the past for pre-release software I feel that is an extremely fair price, especially considering all the time saving features it has.

Of course, there will always be those who disagree.

LarryMc
LarryMc

DennisL

yep - i realised my mistake after i posted :)
it would have been much clearer if maybe the name decided on had been IWBD+ instead ;)

LarryMc

Me and Larry thought it was pretty clear, IWBasic and IWB+.

I had the little contest way back when I was early in the building of it.
Had a few entries but lost all of them when the site was hacked.
I posted again but got no takers(that were appropriate.

Anyway, it won't be hard to get use to. ;)

LarryMc
LarryMc

LarryMc

While using IWB+ to buid the dialogs for the IWMenuBar app I discovered a bug in how the style flags were being automatically  added/deleted.    Easy to fix once I found exactly where the code was wrong.

LarryMc
LarryMc

Logman

Larry M.:

The price is right, but in light of the Norton 5.0 update, does your IWB+ use the same software anti-piracy protection as IWBasic 2.0? If so, it will not run on the systems I use because of Norton running on Windows 7 platforms (nothing I can do about Norton--I'm stuck with it at all my client locations).

If this is not an issue, then I'm in.

Logman :)