April 25, 2024, 11:25:03 AM

News:

Own IWBasic 2.x ? -----> Get your free upgrade to 3.x now.........

XM and MXM

Started by Peter, March 02, 2010, 11:07:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter

A couple of years ago, back in the Pyxia days, I tried to port the includes and example code to use minifmod (static library) in IBasic but failed.
I asked Paul and he informed me that it was due to how the library was coded. He gave me a modified version that worked properly in IBasic and posted the binary package in the download section at the old site.

I found this recently and tried to look closer at it. Managed to make it play an XM from memory and screamed with joy. The thing that bugs me is that they claim a 8kb footprint in the minifmod documentation. I realize that this is only working if you compile the library from scratch depending on what effects etc the XM-file uses.

Not having the source to Paul's modified version of the library I started looking around for alternatives and found a fascinating piece of code that I've never even been close to successful in implementing. though I've tried for weeks with no apparent progress. Now when one of my drives crashed all the code for this one is gone (yes, I know I should've backed it up but on the other hand I didn't anywhere with it).

I hereby paste the link to the where one of the smallest (M)XM players I've ever found is located. I don't expect someone to do this work for me, but if anyone else feels like this could be useful for them and manages to get it working I'd be more than happy if this was shared to the community.

http://www.cubic.org/sources.html <- It's MXMplay 1.6 I've been looking at and I can just say that it's way over my head. Looks like something Sapero wrote (not that it's bad, just advanced). Seems it won't work in newer Windows-version either (64-bit issue I guess).

ZeroDog

The Emergence Basic Audio Engine has support for using XM files  :)

Peter

minifmod has support for XM:s but has a too big footprint. I'm looking towards something like 5-20kb. I already have the EBAE. :)