March 29, 2024, 05:52:03 AM

News:

Own IWBasic 2.x ? -----> Get your free upgrade to 3.x now.........

Question on locate command

Started by tbohon, November 21, 2007, 11:55:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tbohon

I'm converting an old QB program to CB.  In that program I used a lot of
print tab(xx)

commands.  I can convert these to locate y,x without problems, however I'm not always going to know what line I'm on so getting the 'y' value is problematic.

I tried to use a null value for y and it errored out.

Is there any way to locate the cursor to a specific column on the current line when I don't know what line I'm on?

Tnx.

Tom
"If you lead your life the right way, the karma will take care of itself ... the dreams will come to you."  -- Randy Pausch, PhD (1961-2008)

GWS

November 21, 2007, 01:30:40 PM #1 Last Edit: November 21, 2007, 01:38:23 PM by GWS
Hi Tom,

You can use:

print string$(3,chr$(9)) + "X"

to tab across the screen .. :)

The '3' gives three Tabs, which are chr$(9).

But to move to a particular column needs the locate() statement.  The only thing I can suggest at the moment is keepng a check on which line you are on ..  :)

Graham
Tomorrow may be too late ..

tbohon

Hi, Graham ...

The print statement you suggest will work just fine I think.  I was kind of hoping that there was some way, with the locate() statement, that I could specify the current line but I can work with this.

Thanks!

Tom
"If you lead your life the right way, the karma will take care of itself ... the dreams will come to you."  -- Randy Pausch, PhD (1961-2008)

GWS

Back again Tom,

Of course - there's always another way ..  :)

How about:

locate 5,0
print string$(10," "), "X"

By altering how many spaces you insert, you can get to any column ..

Graham  :)
Tomorrow may be too late ..

tbohon

True ... which is what I'll use if my print using () doesn't do what I want it to do.

Tnx again!

Tom

barry

You could always make your own locate routine that works the way you want it to.  It could keep track of the line number so that if you specify a line number it changes and if you use -1 as the line number it uses the current line.

Something like:  (keep in mind I don't know CBasic so I'm inventing this syntax as I type :)

SUB MYLOCATE (L, C)

IF L <> -1 THEN
        LINE-NUM = L
    END IF

LOCATE LINE-NUM, C

END SUB

You can initialize LINE-NUM with a valid line number at the start of the program.

Barry

tbohon

Good suggestion, Barry - hadn't thought about it quite that way.

Thanks!

Tom