March 29, 2024, 01:01:36 AM

News:

IonicWind Snippit Manager 2.xx Released!  Install it on a memory stick and take it with you!  With or without IWBasic!

Direct X Clock

Started by GWS, September 04, 2007, 02:37:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GWS

For old times sake, I just had to try out the DX features using the original clock program which dates back to 2002 .. :)

It works here with no problem.

Best wishes, :)

Graham

Tomorrow may be too late ..

pistol350

LOL ^^
Great great!
I will try to find my former Avatar that i used in the Pixia forum days.
This will bring back this feeling of revival of my first programming language  ;)
Thanks again Graham.
Regards,

Peter B.

Egil

November 02, 2007, 11:26:26 AM #2 Last Edit: November 02, 2007, 11:28:43 AM by Egil
I like your old clock, Graham !

Therefore I thought that it would be nice to make an eyecatching screensaver out of it. so I started tempering with your code.
Just a few more lines were needed to make the program stop when a key is pressed or the mouse is moved. An EXE was produced and renamed the file extension to SCR. And by right-clicking on the file, choosing "Install", a new screensaver was borne.

But when trying to get rid of the caption I got stuck.  When the @NOCAPTION flag is added to the winstyle definition, the code executes just fine from within the IDE.
It also compiles to EXE withour any warnings. But when I try to run that EXE-file, it works.... for five seconds. Then it just stops. And it is impossible to delete that exe or make new one with the same name, before the computer has been restarted.

I must have missed something, I guess. So I'll probably spend the rest of the evening trying to figure out where I went wrong. Suddenly I remember why I enjoyed programming so much some thirty years ago...

I enclose the modified code, just in case someone out there is capable of pointing me in the right direction.

Almost forgot to say that the changes I have made, all are clearly marked.
Support Amateur Radio  -  Have a ham  for dinner!

GWS

Hi Egil,

I like your idea .. I've made a couple of small changes, one is to move the 'closewindow w1' from the @idtimer section to the main window messages after the 'waituntil run=0'.

The other is to increase the timer to 2 seconds - just to give a bit more breathing space. 

Seems to work OK here ..  :)

Isn't Creative the most 'hands-on' language for fun ..  ;D

Graham
Tomorrow may be too late ..

Egil

Hi Graham,
It works OK here as well, but trying to get rid of the caption is just an exercise. Examining your code has made me learn more windows programming in a couple of hours than studying the Users Guide for several days...

And I quite agree.. This is GREAT fun!

73' de Egil  LA2PJ
Support Amateur Radio  -  Have a ham  for dinner!