April 19, 2024, 01:01:33 PM

News:

Own IWBasic 2.x ? -----> Get your free upgrade to 3.x now.........

Flying Invaders Project Released

Started by J B Wood (Zumwalt), January 29, 2007, 02:52:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J B Wood (Zumwalt)

I have released the project for my Flying Invaders Game.
http://www.gamedevonline.com/subsite/demos/FlyingInvaders_Code.htm
Just head on over to my website to download the complete project.
When opening the project awp file, you will probably have to have unzipped the files so they reside:
C:\Program Files\Aurora\projects\FlyingInvaders

Otherwise, I don't know if the project will keep the images as members or not.
I embeded the images into the project for the game, you can remove them as being embeded if you want, all resources are in the FlyingInvaders folder.
Hopefully this will help anyone out that wants to see how to write a basic game.

What was so unique about this (and strange I might add), is that I created the entire game on the 2d surface that is normally to be used for HUD's.
I am sure this would turn out 100% better using Aurora's 2d engine instead.
It was an experiment.
Enjoy

J B Wood (Zumwalt)

wow, no comments, questions or suggestions?
either you all like it, or trashed the the moment you opened the code!

kryton9

Z, I am getting linking errors. I don't have Aurora in my program files, so that is probably why. Can you just have the executeable as a separate download?

Kale

IIRC 'bass.lib' is missing and i can't be bothered to look around the net for it. ;D

J B Wood (Zumwalt)

January 30, 2007, 06:20:36 PM #4 Last Edit: January 30, 2007, 06:28:47 PM by Jonathan (zumwalt) Wood
Finally, someone says something. I'll fix that in the zip, give me a few minutes.
PFFT nevermind, After you open the project, click the following:

TOOLS
CREATE IMPORT LIBRARY
Browse to the project folder, the BASE.DLL is in there!
So simply SELECT IT.
Click OPEN

Wa'la...
BASE.LIB SUCCESSFULLY CREATED

Now, for newbies, I would totaly understand the grumble about missing the lib, but you two? ???
I don't need to search for it in my libs folder, just follow those simple steps and you will have a working compile.
Sorry that I forgot it in the zip, but its less than 10 seconds to create since the ZIP does contain the DLL.

I'll atleast update my web page to include those instructions.

kryton9

Thanks with those instructions got it working. Lots of fun. When the planet and moon went by, I was floored. Great job and nice touch.

Even had the ufo at the top. Classic game for a reason, still so much fun.  Thanks, really neat!!

Kale

Quote from: Jonathan (zumwalt) Wood on January 30, 2007, 06:20:36 PM
Now, for newbies, I would totaly understand the grumble about missing the lib, but you two? ???

Like i said, i can't be bothered to fix all snippets i try out on forums. If it doesn't work first time, oh well, i get back to what i was doing. ;D

J B Wood (Zumwalt)

@Gary
Technically there was nothing to "Fix", it was just a lib file you needed by creating the import library for the base.dll
It was my fault for overlooking those simple steps, I kind of took that for granted.
Even if I had it in the zip, you would have had to move the .lib file to your library folder which would have probably taken more time than to create the import library.

Anyway, the code is in the SRC files and the INC file that are in the folder, its a usefull educational tool for those interested in learning some basic game programming. Even without the BASS which all those lines could be taken out if you wanted.

@Kryton9
Thanks :) Its meant to be what it is, a tool to learn from, royalty free of course, except for the BASS, that you can't distribute and make money off of unless you purchase a license from the maker of it. The game has a 4 out of 5 star so far on the Great Games Experiment site, I have posted the badges on my website for both that game and my RPG that is under development, so far, they both have a 4/5 star rating, I am sure that will change over time when more people start to review and comment on it.

Luckly the badges are dynamic, so as the rating changes, so will the badges on my website :)