April 25, 2024, 12:48:58 PM

News:

Own IWBasic 2.x ? -----> Get your free upgrade to 3.x now.........

Scripting via thinBasic or AngelScript (newer)

Started by Shannara, December 17, 2006, 01:04:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shannara

I know about the plans of IWBasic, but ... what about interfaces to other scripting engines? Like the MSscript control or thinBasic. That one seems to be gathering quite a following :) Another one is the (newer) Angelscript engine :) I'm talking about the C++ engine, not the original vbs based engine. I think it would be wonderful if there was a way to interface with these engines.

I have found some C++ sources of interfacing with msscript.ocx engine, and looking (looking, mind you) at some sort of converting to Aurora, but besides that, I'm SOL with the other engines. I've contacted the author of the new AngelScript and pointed him to this forum. Hopefully, there'd be some interest by him.
Love is staying up all night with a sick child, or a healthy adult.

Zen

Well I've been looking at the source code for AngelScript and although its in C++, it seems very easy for me to read compared to a lot of other things I've seen in C++. It would be fun to convert it into Aurora and I think it would be good for anyone wanting to learn about lexers, parsers and interpreters etc. It doesnt use anything like Yacc or Flex, so its nice and easy to read.

Lewis

Shannara

Ah, I didnt mean that :) For example, I have angelscript compiled to a DLL via Visual Studio 6 :) Now, I am at the stage of trying to interface with that dll via Aurora :)
Love is staying up all night with a sick child, or a healthy adult.

Parker

Translating it would be an interesting project. AngelScript looks fairly simple and I think it would be a fairly straightforward conversion to Aurora except the constructors with parameters.

Even more interesting would be to get a group together to write a scripting extention for Aurora. Anyone? ;)