April 23, 2024, 09:04:42 AM

News:

IonicWind Snippit Manager 2.xx Released!  Install it on a memory stick and take it with you!  With or without IWBasic!

"Save All.." doesn't!

Started by John Syl., November 30, 2006, 01:01:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Syl.

A minor problem , but using the Save All function in File menu, only saves the src and dlg files.  It has no effect on any inc files that are open and changed.

regards John
Intel 3.6 p4 ht, XP home,2 gb mem, 400 gb hd 20gb raid 0, Nvidia 6600le.
AMD k6-2 500, 40gb.

Started on PDP11 Assembler, BASIC, GWBASIC, 6502, Z80, 80x86, Java, Pascal, C, C++, 
IBasic (std & pro), Aurora, EBasic.  (Master of none, but it's been fun!)

J B Wood (Zumwalt)

Inc files are not part of the project, you have to click "save" on those when you make changes I think.
I could be wrong.

Mike Stefanik

They should be, however. Include files are as much a part of a project as source files.
Mike Stefanik
www.catalyst.com
Catalyst Development Corporation

J B Wood (Zumwalt)

But they are not project members.
You don't "include them" in the project, other than use #include "file.inc"
The save all only saves project members I think.
Although anything open in the editor should probably be saved when save-all is clicked.
Guess its a solid Paul question.

John Syl.

I would have thought it is an IDE question as it is possible to have severla files open and worked on,
so save all should save all files regardless of whether they are direct members of a project.  but as you say
it's a Paul subject, there maybe a valid reason why inc files are not saved.  Can't think of one, but thought I'd mention it.

John
Intel 3.6 p4 ht, XP home,2 gb mem, 400 gb hd 20gb raid 0, Nvidia 6600le.
AMD k6-2 500, 40gb.

Started on PDP11 Assembler, BASIC, GWBASIC, 6502, Z80, 80x86, Java, Pascal, C, C++, 
IBasic (std & pro), Aurora, EBasic.  (Master of none, but it's been fun!)

John S

Paul,
just a reminder:  "Save All.." still doesn't
John Siino, Advanced Engineering Services and Software

Rod

If the function is called "Save All", then it stands to reason it should do just that. If it's only going to save certain types of files, that's fine, but I think it should be called "Save Some". JOMO (Just One Man's Opinion)  :)

John S

We need a "Program All" button too!     ;D

barry

Quote from: Jonathan (zumwalt) Wood on November 30, 2006, 01:24:39 PM
Inc files are not part of the project, you have to click "save" on those when you make changes I think.
I could be wrong.

I can't agree with that.  Include files can be and usually are very much a part of the project.  That you include them through the source file instead of naming them in the project doesn't change that.  If the IDE fails to save your changes in include files the project is screwed up.

It's a bug.  If it's by design then it's a bug in the design. :)

Barry

Ionic Wind Support Team

You people are driving me nuts.  It was designed to save all project files and works as I intended it to.   ::)

Sure I can make it save all "open" windows, but then you'll be complaning that it asks for a file name for all files that haven't been saved once yet.  I work with a lot of open windows that I am just pasting to and from, never intending to save them but use them as a place to hold code temporarily. 

Whatever, to each their own.  I will force it to save all open windows when you press the button.  I'll just have to save my own files individually after that.

Paul.
Ionic Wind Support Team

John S

I too keep temporary files open to cut and paste from.  I would prefer you leave it as is.

LarryMc

Works great for me just as it is. ;D
LarryMc
Larry McCaughn :)
Author of IWB+, Custom Button Designer library, Custom Chart Designer library, Snippet Manager, IWGrid control library, LM_Image control library

Mike Stefanik

Please allow include files to be added to the project list, while you're in there. Obviously they shouldn't be fed to the compiler, but it would be nice to add "non-compilable" files (includes, resource scripts, dialog files, etc.) so that they're all in one place in the IDE and you don't have to go browing for them. Even nicer would be a folder hierachy to represent the different types of files, ala Visual Studio. But I don't want to push my luck. :)
Mike Stefanik
www.catalyst.com
Catalyst Development Corporation

Parker

How about renaming the current item to "Save All Project Files" and making the "Save All" save every file? As it is I guess it's a little misleading.

Blue Steel

You guys DO know don'tr you that you CAN use OTHER IDEs to Edit and Compile BOTH Aurora and EBasic files.. you DON'T have to use the ones that come with them. IF you have a preference of how another IDE does thing then you can use them instead.. Everyone has their own preferences and I for one would rather see Paul Focus on the Languages themselves than trying to Design an IDE that does everything that everyone wants (which would be extremely time consuming.. as I too have yet to find an IDE out there that does EVERYTHING that I want the way that I want it) some have come tantalisingly close. minimum requirements for a most IDEs these days include what the Aurora's IDE Does already provide.. (I can't wait for EBasic's IDE to be converted over to using it), the one thing that most Good IDEe's are missing is the Folding options.. which I use a lot to fold big blocks of code.. (I know i should write smaller files and do it that way).

The thing about SAVE EVERY open window i feel shouldn't happen.. it should only save any files that are listed in your projects area. It can't know what files are included from within your code without at least pre parsing the code in for those listed in your open project. If you don't have a project open THEN i can see a benefit of a SAVE ALL that will save every Modified.

http://www.codingmonkeys.com
Covers many languages including Aurora , IWBasicEbasic (Ebasic, IBasic) , Creative Basic

Blue Steel

BlueSteel YELLS "SNAP" to Parker LOL
  http://www.codingmonkeys.com
Covers many languages including Aurora , IWBasicEbasic (Ebasic, IBasic) , Creative Basic

Ionic Wind Support Team

Topic locked as I have had enough of everyones suggestions for the time being.  More important things to complete first, such as the documentation and operator overloading.  Write your own IDE if you hate it that much, or wait until I at least finish coding it ;)

The whole idea of the "save all" was to save the project file itself along with any open source files, this isn't a word processor afterall. That is how it has been in IDE's I have built since 2004 and this is the first time anyone has created such a fuss over it.  It was like that in IBasic Pro since the very beginning and I don't think anyone ever complained about it.

Suggestion noted.  Thank you for your input.

Ionic Wind Support Team

Ionic Wind Support Team

Just so you don't think I am not flexible...

The Aurora IDE already has a code scanner that looks in include files for the current project.  It is how the classview works and you can right click on a method in the class view and choose "show declaration" which opens up the correct include file.

So I am adapting the code scanner so it can be used during the 'save all' as well.  I still don't think it should save non project related files though because of the reasons already stated.

Ionic Wind Support Team