March 29, 2024, 05:30:41 AM

News:

Own IWBasic 2.x ? -----> Get your free upgrade to 3.x now.........

Vista compatibility question

Started by Brice Manuel, November 30, 2006, 09:20:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brice Manuel

I am making good progress on a game in EBASIC.  My game is using the 2D commands and runs full-screen at 800x600 res.  Unfortunately my game will only work in 16bit.

I know Vista is bringing many changes, does anybody know if DX fullscreen at 800x600x16 will still work on Vista?  I know the 800x600 "should" be fine, but the concern in the 16bit depth.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Ionic Wind Support Team

That would be driver dependent.  As long as the driver for the card supports that screen mode then it will work. 
Ionic Wind Support Team

Vikki

Here are a couple of things I found:

http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1895,2062318,00.asp

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnlong/html/AppComp.asp

The information below is from the page linked just above... you may find more on that page by using your browsers 'find on this page' function and searching the page for '16 bit'

Windows Vista 64-bit
Feature Impact
High

Brief Description
Windows Vista fully supports the 64-bit architecture processors from AMD and Intel. The 64-bit version of Windows Vista can run all 32-bit applications with the help of the WOW64 emulator. However, 16-bit applications, 16-bit installers, and 32-bit kernel mode drivers are not supported by the kernel.

All 64-bit drivers have to be digitally signed for Windows Vista 64-bit editions. Unsigned drivers are not supported and cannot be installed on 64-bit Windows Vista. The digital signature check is done both during installation and driver load time.

Manifestation
Applications or components that use 16-bit executables, 16-bit installers or 32-bit kernel drivers will either fail to start or will function improperly on a 64-bit edition of Windows Vista. In this case, the following error message is displayed:
The program or feature "[exepath]\[app16bit].exe" cannot start or run due to incompatibility with 64-bit versions of Windows. Please contact the software vendor to ask if a 64-bit Windows compatible version is available.

When a 16-bit installer or application is launched, the following error message is displayed:
The version of this file is not compatible with the version of Windows you're running. Check your computer's system information to see whether you need an x86 (32-bit) or x64 (64-bit) version of the program, and then contact the software publisher.

Installation of 32-bit kernel drivers will fail on the 64-bit system. If an installer manually adds a driver by editing the registry, the system will not load this driver and this action could cause the system to fail.
Installation of 64-bit unsigned drivers will fail on the 64-bit system. If an installer manually adds a driver by editing the registry, the system will not load the driver during load time if it is not signed.
Remedies
Leverage Windows Vista capability solution:

All 16-bit components should be removed from applications and replaced with 32-bit or 64-bit equivalents.
All 16-bit installers should be converted to 32-bit or 64-bit installers.
If the application uses kernel mode drivers, then a 64-bit version of the driver needs to be authored. The application should detect the platform of the OS (32-bit or 64-bit) and then install the proper architecture of the driver based on the OS platform.
Ensure that all 64-bit drivers are digitally signed.
Compatibility test:

Install and launch the application on a 32-bit and a 64-bit Windows Vista machine. The application should function properly on both architectures.
Links
Running 32-bit Applications
Video
Digital Signatures for Kernel Modules on x64-based Systems Running Windows Vista

Ionic Wind Support Team

Different 16 bit, but thanks.  He was referring to a 16 bits per pixel video mode.
Ionic Wind Support Team

Vikki

Oh,ÂÃ,  :o , looks like I need to brush up on my reading skills as well as my programming skills.ÂÃ,  ::)

Brice Manuel

November 30, 2006, 11:23:44 AM #5 Last Edit: November 30, 2006, 11:28:25 AM by Kuron
QuoteThat would be driver dependent.  As long as the driver for the card supports that screen mode then it will work.
I figured something like that, but the whole DX10 not being backwards compatible, except through abstraction using a special version of DX9 confuses the heck out of me.  Things like that make me really glad my old TI-99/4A is still in perfect working order ;D

QuoteOh,ÂÃ,  ÂÃ, , looks like I need to brush up on my reading skills as well as my programming skills.
Thank you for trying to help, Vikki.ÂÃ,  Your post does bring up an interesting point, though.ÂÃ,  16bit programs are no longer supported on the 64bit versions of Windows XP, Windows 2003 or Windows Vista, but they still work on the 32bit versions.ÂÃ,  I was reading the other day, that it looks like Vienna will still support the old 16bit apps on the 32bit version and not on the 64bit version.ÂÃ,  Granted Vienna is a long ways off and subject to change, but are there really that many people using old Windows 3.1 16bit apps that we need to keep providing this legacy support for?ÂÃ,  Seriously, why is 16bit support even in Vista?.

Mike Stefanik

I don't think there's a firm decision yet about 16-bit support in Vienna. Windows Vista is being seen by Microsoft as the "transition" platform for 32-bit to 64-bit processors. It leverages all of the security features that are available with the 64-bit systems. For example, it's not possible to silently install a rootkit on a 64-bit system; everything has to be digitally signed (which means there's a legal "paper trail" of sorts) and the security isn't just in the operating system, it's tied into the hardware as well.

One of the things that has some folks' knickers in a twist is that DRM will actually be enforced at the hardware level. So no more clever hacks to break the security on protected music and video downloads, for example. In any case, the 16-bit issue will fade away soon enough because new systems coming out in a few years are only going to be available using 64-bit processors. By 2010 or so, I imagine that the standard mid-range end system will be a quad proc 64-bit system.
Mike Stefanik
www.catalyst.com
Catalyst Development Corporation

Brice Manuel

For anybody interested.  I sent a very rough example EXE to a friend in Norway who is running the RTM version of Vista.  I just heard back from him, and EB's 2D stuff works 100% fine on Vista. ;D