March 28, 2024, 03:22:33 AM

News:

IonicWind Snippit Manager 2.xx Released!  Install it on a memory stick and take it with you!  With or without IWBasic!

ground height

Started by kryton9, September 10, 2006, 02:22:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kryton9

Is there a way to get the ground height from a Landscape?

Or is there a way to return the position(location) of a collision, without having to actualy move a hidden object to collide and gets its position?

making good progress on the FPS type control and would like to add this feature next.

J B Wood (Zumwalt)

That might have to wait until Newton wrapper is done.
The way I get around this, is to just check collision and move the colliding mesh "up" when it collides with the terrain, otherwise, I move the mesh "down" until it collides.
The downfall to this is if the mesh "falls off" the terrain, you have to compinsate for this and reset the mesh.
Look at my tank game and the generic gravity class.

Ionic Wind Support Team

I have a method in the engine that does this.  I'll have it exported for the next update.
Ionic Wind Support Team

kryton9

Z, I looked and used your code, but with the camera, it rotates it for some reason. So I need to get the ground height and adjust the camera, was going to use a hidden object to test for a collision and then set the camera, but since there is a method will wait for the next release.

Ionic Wind Support Team

However it only works with the landscape object itself.
Ionic Wind Support Team

kryton9

Ok thanks Paul, will write a small routine then and not wait. Thanks.

J B Wood (Zumwalt)

I can't wait for the documentation that that object to be further enriched so I can understand what it requires for each variable.