March 28, 2024, 12:47:29 PM

News:

IonicWind Snippit Manager 2.xx Released!  Install it on a memory stick and take it with you!  With or without IWBasic!

a request

Started by kryton9, June 09, 2006, 11:34:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kryton9

Yes, looking at the help in Aurora, the skeleton that is there, it is clear that once all that info is filled in, all of this will be a lot easier to pick up.

I was just excited when I thought oh, it is derived from this class and I then get access to all of those methonds. THen I could see why you are all excited about
classes. But then, sort of stumbled and got lost.

But with the great window example, and all your other examples now. Hopefully I can fill in the gaps. I have a start and an end to look at and lots of great help here.

Thanks again. I know it will all click and I will stop looking back at the old ways :)

Ionic Wind Support Team

Well you are right.  You have access to all of the base class methods from a derived class.  Whether they are meant to function in the derived class is another matter.  99% of the time you can, or can use them after following certain conditions.  Hate to be vague here but it depends on the base class in question.

Ionic Wind Support Team

kryton9

Thanks, I am understanding it slowly. This example helped as I can really experiment with it and compare it with the dialog and being rather minimal apps it is easy to understand and to build from. Now I understand where some of the methods were coming from when not declared and I am understanding how the skeleton help is already helpful and what I see there now is making more sense. I couldn't see in the help where the CWindow methods were Virtual methods?

Of course that Class Tool, I had no idea what to do with that. THat is a wonderful tool as is the dialog editor. I also understand the coolness of having include files and being able to break the source up into classes and things. I can see how all of that will make life wonderful on big projects.

I have a question about all of that, but will post in Sapero's windows include topic.

Ionic Wind Support Team

The template Larry uses for the help file calls it an "overridable" method.  Which is the same as a virtual method.

For example the OnCreate description says:

Event Handler Method (overrideable)

Meaning it is called in response to a window message and is a virtual method. 
Ionic Wind Support Team

kryton9

Ah ahh, making more and more sense. THanks!!