April 19, 2024, 02:54:11 PM

News:

Own IWBasic 2.x ? -----> Get your free upgrade to 3.x now.........

Note about reading the help files on XP SP2

Started by Ionic Wind Support Team, June 01, 2006, 09:56:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ionic Wind Support Team

Vikki had run into a problem where she couldn't read .chm help file created by Larry and included with the installation.  Microsoft changed their security settings in SP2 to block downloaded .chm files from running.  The solution is simple:

Find the help file in your Aurora installation  (c:\program files\aurora\help\)

1.    Right-click the CHM file, and then click Properties.
2.    Click Unblock.

You should now be able to access it from the menu and actually read the topics ;)
Ionic Wind Support Team

Mike Stefanik

It's best to package up the help files inside a Zip archive, rather than downloading them directly. The change was a real pain in the arse, they basically killed the direct online browsing of CHM files (either downloading them, or reading them from a website; the hhctrl.ocx control was effectively disabled).
Mike Stefanik
www.catalyst.com
Catalyst Development Corporation

Ionic Wind Support Team

They are in a zip file.  She still had trouble though.
Ionic Wind Support Team

Mike Stefanik

Hmm, never heard of that one. I know I've run into that when I downloaded the CHM directly, but not when extracted from an archive. I wonder if she used the built-in support for Zip files (the "compressed folders" feature) or used a third-party tool like WinZip.
Mike Stefanik
www.catalyst.com
Catalyst Development Corporation

Vikki

Hi guys,

Actually I had to disable the security warning message that popped up. You know the one when you try to open a file the Windows thinks might be malicious. As soon as I unchecked the box that asked to check every time the file opened right up. ;)

Yep, I used the built in support for zip files. I have WinZip but just got lazy when zip file support was built in. ;)