March 28, 2024, 12:31:03 PM

News:

IonicWind Snippit Manager 2.xx Released!  Install it on a memory stick and take it with you!  With or without IWBasic!

Xeditor4 - My editor program

Started by Andy, May 31, 2020, 04:18:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy

May 31, 2020, 04:18:21 AM Last Edit: May 31, 2020, 05:03:06 AM by Andy
Hi,

It's taken six months to complete phase 1 of my editor program.

Firstly - DO NOT LOAD YOUR FILES - I am still working on that section!!!!!!

Here I have three files already "loaded" into some tabs (at the bottom of the screen - actually they are buttons).

When you click on tab 2 or tab 3 you will see a short delay the first time, this is because the program is restoring some details such as sub routines / windows etc.

When you have clicked on all three the switching is much quicker.

Moving around / navigation:

There are two edit boxes where you can type in line numbers to jump to.
All sub routines and main windows are listed.
Simple to jump to a sub routine / window / handler.
Simple to jump to Selects and Cases.
You can search both INSTR and words.
There is also (bottom left) a clock like button - here just click it and it makes a backup copy of your file - I do not always want to rename a file or copy it manually.

I will document this in greater detail as soon as I have time.

Are there bugs in it - sure - but they will be ironed out in time.

Six months work here - a very good reason to download and just have a look!!

To compile:
Load xeditor4.iwb (in the "Bin" folder) and compile as single file (F8).

I would be very interested on your views / comments.

Attached is the program.

Thanks,
Taking a well deserved rest for a day or two now as it's my birthday tomorrow...
Andy.

:)
Day after day, day after day, we struck nor breath nor motion, as idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean.

Brian

Andy,

I created the folder c:\test and copied the whole xeditor4 folder in. Compiled OK, with one error. The tabs at the bottom show filenames, but nothing happens when you click on the second and third tab

Also, I see if you look for a sub-routine, it jumps to the line AFTER the sub-routine definition

Still messing, but I'm afraid the live feed of the SpaceX mission is winning at the moment!

Brian

Brian

Amdy,

You may also want to look at the SUB at Line 3956. Because some of the variables in that block of code start with "sub" they get included in the SUBs list

Brian

Andy

June 01, 2020, 04:00:48 AM #3 Last Edit: June 01, 2020, 04:03:57 AM by Andy
Brian,

Yes you are right about the sub routines are one line out - corrected.

Thanks for mentioning the error in listing subs - much appreciated - will check it out.

I have a little time just now so I will explain the program a little more.

Firstly, phase 1 was all about colouring text, scrolling, navigating a file, and the "Find" function.

Secondly, the switching of files function is still not finished yet, although it does work on my machine - obviously I hope to close that out sometime soon.

LarryMc did ask me what my views are on multiple file, well here goes...

Option 1 - Show / hide multiple rich edits (each with a single file loaded).
Option 2 - A buffer for each of the files and one rich edit - depending on which tab you click determines which buffer is loaded into the rich edit.

Option 2 is what I am using here, but I have not tried option 1 yet - but will do just to see if there is any advantage either way.

My editor - which I will finish serves two purposes.

1. Learning about rich edits / colouring / navigation etc and sharing it with all of you.
2. A kind of a "wish list" for a future editor.

Now at the risk of sounding like I'm crawling to the powers that be, it's only when you try to re-create something complicated like this (and six months later) that you truly appreciate what work has gone into the editor we use day in, day out - hats off to you LarryMc.

If I could choose at least one function for adding in our IWB editor it would be a very simple edit box where you could type a line number in and have the editor jump to it - it was a very easy thing to do.

The other function - would be having a button (to click on) to jump to the last selected sub routine rather that having to go back to it via scrolling the drop down box - another very easy thing to add in.

These two functions would be very welcome - just a suggestion.

Andy.
:)
Day after day, day after day, we struck nor breath nor motion, as idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean.

Brian

Andy,

Will there be tooltips for the buttons? There are so many, you don't know which to press!

Brian

Andy

Brian,

Yes, there will be tool tips - there are a lot of buttons there.

Andy.