March 28, 2024, 12:54:55 PM

News:

IonicWind Snippit Manager 2.xx Released!  Install it on a memory stick and take it with you!  With or without IWBasic!

Editor issues

Started by ckoehn, November 16, 2018, 08:04:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ckoehn

I was unable to type "s"  of "ws" into the editor without the program locking up.  Does anyone else have this problem?

I also am having issues with a program I'm making.  I'm using a clipping path and roundrect together with printing text and copying from a hidden window to the main screen to reduce flickering.  The program runs fine for about 7.5 hrs then locks up.  It is something that needs to run 24/7.  I am sure I am getting and releasing the hdc in every sub and deleting every object that is created.  Does anyone know of anything else that would cause this?  I would like to send an example, but it is fairly involving and I'm using a comport emulator to send fake data to my application.  It is really pretty cool as long as it works.  I have the text fading from cyan to black as the latest data comes in the com port.

Link to video: https://www.dropbox.com/s/8fm1d82wzaiawrq/Capture.mp4?dl=0

Later,
Clint

LarryMc

Haven't had any problems with the editor in years.
What did you have to do to get to get it to work right?
How often does it do it?
Is this on the same PC that crashes after 7.5 hours?

The last time I had problems with a program crashing after running for a long period of time I believe Sapero was still around. It seems like something was slowly eating up memory that he found for me.
LarryMc
Larry McCaughn :)
Author of IWB+, Custom Button Designer library, Custom Chart Designer library, Snippet Manager, IWGrid control library, LM_Image control library

ckoehn

I haven't got it fixed yet. I typed "ws" in NotePad, copied it and pasted it in the editor.  It does it everytime I type "ws". Yes, it is on the same pc.

I kind of figured it was a memory leak somewhere but haven't been able to find it.

Later,
Clint

LarryMc

Did you try rebooting your computer?
LarryMc
Author of IWB+, Custom Button Designer library, Custom Chart Designer library, Snippet Manager, IWGrid control library, LM_Image control library

Andy

Larry,

I reported this a good while ago.

I can type STRING, but it hangs when
I type WString.

I have to type STRING and then add the W before it.

Andy.
Day after day, day after day, we struck nor breath nor motion, as idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean.

ckoehn

Yes, I did reboot my computer.  A couple of times actually.  I think it has to do with getting and releasing the hdc multiple times.  This program does it a lot.  Not sure though.

Later,
Clint

LarryMc

Quote from: Andy on November 16, 2018, 11:10:27 AM
Larry,

I reported this a good while ago.

I can type STRING, but it hangs when
I type WString.

I have to type STRING and then add the W before it.

Andy.

I just tried it multiple times caps/no caps etc and it works a charm for me.  If it ain't broke for me  I can't fix it.
LarryMc

Brian

Just tried it here - all OK my end

Brian

LarryMc

Quote from: ckoehn on November 16, 2018, 11:21:23 AM
Yes, I did reboot my computer.  A couple of times actually.  I think it has to do with getting and releasing the hdc multiple times.  This program does it a lot.  Not sure though.

Later,
Clint
If you can give me a source code that will compile and run I'd be happy to look at it for you and see if I can see anything Clint.
You could email it to me.
LarryMc

fasecero

QuoteThe program runs fine for about 7.5 hrs then locks up.  It is something that needs to run 24/7.  I am sure I am getting and releasing the hdc in every sub and deleting every object that is created.

Just to be sure you aren't hitting the gdi limit, you can check the GDI object count every certain time. Load up Task Magager, go to the details tab, press right mouse button over the columns header, choose Colums menu item, and finally select GDI OBJECTS.

ckoehn

I fully understand that if it isn't broke on your end you won't be able to find it.  I am also using a driver called com0com that emulates com ports.  I haven't had any problem with it and it is running on some computers 24/7.  If I can break it down enough I may send you something LarryMc.

fasecero,  I am opening and closing hdc when drawing each roundrect's, so I don't think I'd read gdi limits unless I'm misunderstanding.  I may stll look at what you mentioned unless something is getting through. Found out I have 409- 411.  Task manager has over 1200.

Could just be the latest Window 10 update, right?

Later,
Clint

ckoehn

Well as far as the "ws" it looks like it is an autocomplete problem.  Unchecking that you can type ws in.

Later,
Clint

fasecero

QuoteFound out I have 409- 411.  Task manager has over 1200.

That's fine. If after a couple of hours that value doesn't increase the problem is elsewhere. These kind of problems are really hard to spot.

LarryMc

Quote from: ckoehn on November 16, 2018, 03:11:30 PM
Well as far as the "ws" it looks like it is an autocomplete problem.  Unchecking that you can type ws in.

Later,
Clint
works fine for me regardless of state of autocomplete  ????
LarryMc

ckoehn

QuoteThat's fine. If after a couple of hours that value doesn't increase the problem is elsewhere. These kind of problems are really hard to spot.
It doesn't look like it changes.  I THOUGHT it was the graphics, but I just copied the oxygen value to my UDT and nothing else, no screen refresh or anything.  It still locked up after 6 hrs.  I'm trying something different with the com port to see if that is it.

Quoteworks fine for me regardless of state of autocomplete  ????

I was hoping you would try it.  If I reinstall IWBASIC, do I need to uninstall it first?

Later,
Clint

LarryMc

Quote from: ckoehn on November 17, 2018, 08:32:43 AM
If I reinstall IWBASIC, do I need to uninstall it first?

Clint
No, if you are using version 3.x
LarryMc

ckoehn

The About says I have:
IWBASIC IDE 3.05
Compiler ver 2.095

I think I found the problem with my program, although it puzzles me.  I put an XBEE on my sons computer with his emulator running, and set up my program with an XBEE.  It's been running since 9:22:08 Saturday morning.  That would mean that com0com was messing up.  The puzzling part is I have com0com running on a customers computer 24/7 acting as a pipe.  Data coming in on a real comport with a listening program processing data and passing it through on a virtual port, and his main program reading data from the other side of the virtual port with everything running constantly and it works.

I guess live and learn.

Later,
Clint