March 29, 2024, 04:41:42 AM

News:

IonicWind Snippit Manager 2.xx Released!  Install it on a memory stick and take it with you!  With or without IWBasic!

Avast anti virus

Started by Andy, April 02, 2018, 01:42:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy

I was recently given a replacement PC by one of my friends who wanted to upgrade.

This was a very kind act, and compared to my old machine this one is like the space shuttle.

Now the only problem with it is that the on board lan doesn't work, - no problem, I just use a wifi usb device instead. However, the bottom line is I only connect the wifi when I need it rather than being online all of the time as I was before.

In the past (with my old PC) I was regularly disabling Avast as every time I recompiled any program Avast would take 15 seconds just to tell me everything was okay - which was a pain.

With the new PC after a few days I realised Avast was no longer checking my compiled exe files - I presumed Avast had "fixed" something, but later that day I got the PC online to check something, then recompiled a program and the scan kicked in.

Now it could just be my Avast settings, but it seems to be Avast only checks a new exe file when compiled if you are online.

Maybe someone else who has Avast could check it out?

Just thought I would share this.

Andy.

Day after day, day after day, we struck nor breath nor motion, as idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean.

fasecero

I can't answer your question but I just want to give my point of view real quick, hope you don't mind.

I personally do not use avast or any other third-party antivirus. This is because in an attempt to catch viruses before they can infect your system, they forcibly hooks itself into any piece of software on your computer, and they report false positives all the time :(

These are C/C++ links, but they can illustrate the problem

A C++ program that show a console saying "done", AVG antivirus detects as a virus...
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/7987712/why-does-avgantivirus-detect-an-executable-produced-from-dev-c-as-a-virus

An empty project leads to two thirds of all Antivirus programs go crazy for no obvious reason...
https://www.codeproject.com/Articles/71128/The-Case-of-Evil-WinMain

I personally use Win10 + Default Windows Defender + Default Windows Firewall + Google Chrome (chrome comes with sandbox wich is a security mechanism used to run an app in a restricted environment so your hard disk, registry (and so on) will be safe while browsing.

Andy

Everything I ever write is always flagged by AVG as a virus, even a simple "Hello world" console screen.

Over time this is what I have found helps, sometimes a little, sometimes a lot:

1. Build you program as a project, not a single file.
2. Add in a resource file and supply basic details like copyright, name of program, version number etc.
3. Choose the name of the exe file carefully, certain words are immediately flagged (anti VIRUS, REGISTRY editor etc).
4. Add a manifest file for the exe.
5. Report the exe as a false positive to the AV companies.

Step 5 takes time for them to respond, it's time consuming for you, and bare in mind once you make even the slightest change to the exe file, you'll have to re-submit it as a false positive.

All the above steps you can do for free, if you wanted to go one further you could buy a digital ID for it, but obviously this costs.

When I write an exe for someone else, I always check it out with the VirusTotal website first, as long as all the main AV's report it as clean then I'm happy, but as said before - I always have to report it to AVG as a false positive.

Andy.

Day after day, day after day, we struck nor breath nor motion, as idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean.

Brian

With Avast, I find building the program as a project, and just adding in a VersionInfo does the trick

Brian

Egil

Quote from: Brian Pugh on June 02, 2018, 05:19:58 AM
With Avast, I find building the program as a project, and just adding in a VersionInfo does the trick

Thanks for sharing Brian. Pity I didn't think of that myself when I had the same trouble with both Avast and F-Secure.

After I started using the same method as fasecero describes, I have not had any problems.

Egil
Support Amateur Radio  -  Have a ham  for dinner!

Andy

Yes, the VersionInfo was what I was meaning to say when I said about program name, version, copyright etc.

Including the VersionInfo certainly helps with many of the AV's.

Andy.