March 28, 2024, 11:34:09 PM

News:

Own IWBasic 2.x ? -----> Get your free upgrade to 3.x now.........

Compile error helper

Started by Andy, July 01, 2017, 03:49:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy

July 01, 2017, 03:49:56 AM Last Edit: July 01, 2017, 04:00:58 AM by Andy
A few days ago, Egil had a compile error, yet the code was correct.

I myself have had this same problem twice - it is rare but it does happen, after doubting your own sanity and throwing your machine out of the window, you finally re-type the code and it works.

So, just occasionally and by accident you might just hit a combination of keys that places a rouge character in you code - you can't see it - and the compiler doesn't like it.

This little program may (or may not help), as I can't test it at the moment because I don't have the above problem.

It's a simple program that most of us can write / adapt.

It takes a file (in this case an iwb file) and checks each character, if it is less then 32 or greater than 126 (ASCII) it will flag it with the exception of the tab key.

I know the iwb compiler does do some checking of characters - but who knows this might just stop you banging your head against a brick wall.

The program reads each character from a file 'goodfile.iwb', but all you would have to do is change the path of the file you want to check.

At least here we have a program that we can turn to and try, before we go crazy.

Andy.

Day after day, day after day, we struck nor breath nor motion, as idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean.

Brian

Andy,

Good idea. I have just run it on the program I am currently writing, as a test, and it flagged up a
Strange Character! It turned out to be the Copyright © sign. Not a Baddie, but it could have been

Well done,

Brian

Andy

Thanks for that Brian!

I think we all get the idea behind it.
:)

It might help, or something like it might help.

Day after day, day after day, we struck nor breath nor motion, as idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean.